Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 27, 2010   #1
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Default Pickling cuke that you would recommend?

I've grown Burpee Bush Champion two years in a row and it is very tasty, though the powdery mildew does gross me out. It's advertised to be compact but I dunno - using "Bush" in the name seems like false advertising. But it wasn't really rangey, which was good since the garden is really at least 90% for tomatoes.

But now our favorite cucumber to buy in the grocery store for salads are pickling cukes. They are very tender and sweet, and the seeds are small and unobtrusive. Could someone recommend a variety that I could grow without devoting a huge amount of garden space to it? Would be nice if it were commercially available, or obtainable with a SASE.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2010   #2
freelancer79d
Tomatovillian™

I used Burpee's PickleBush last year. I would recommend you not use it. the cukes were misshaped and the plant got mildew really bad.
freelancer79d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2010   #3
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Wautoma is an OP variety developed by USDA. It is said to be very disease resistant, and a great producer of 4" to 5" non-bitter picklers.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2010   #4
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo88 View Post
Could someone recommend a variety that I could grow without devoting a huge amount of garden space to it?
Cleo - do you let your cukes sprawl or are you growing vertically? I don't have a specific "compact" variety to recommend, but I grew mine on a trellis and found them to be quite manageable in a small space.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2010   #5
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

I grew my Boston Pickling cucumbers on a section of
Privacy fence and they did great. No problems with mildew at all.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2010   #6
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I have never tried the Boston, but have heard it is a good one. With a name like that, it should do well in MA.

Another one to try would be A&C Pickling (introduced by Abbott & Cobb, 1928 Pennsylvania). Abundant yield, and good for slicing or pickling. I can probably get you some free seeds for this. Le'me know.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #7
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

I think I'll try the Boston Pickling - gotta love the local flavor. And the pictures I found on Google look just like the ones we like in the grocery store. Thanks for the recommendation!

The past two years I let my cukes sprawl but next year I think I am going to give them a jungle gym to play on and see what happens. I do like the idea of the fruit not lying on the ground.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #8
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Keeping the cukes and also the leaves off
The ground is a plus. My plants started out slow but
Finally kicked in and really made lots of nice
Tasting cukes. If only my tomato plants had done
As well.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2010   #9
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I really like County Fair as a pickler but most likely wont be growing it anymore as there are problems with it being true.
I also like how Cool Breeze performs although it is a little more spiney so it takes a bit more work getting them ready to jar. Both have performed fantastic for me the few years I have been growing them