Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 23, 2011   #61
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
I have bad seeds, some started in dirt 5 weeks , and papers 7 days , none will open up.
Maybe not bad seeds, maybe just technique.

Keep the temperature up to at least 70-75F. 80F would be even better. The ones in paper are just at the point when they should begin to germinate. The elevated temperature is CRITICAL. What temp has the ones in the dirt experienced???

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #62
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
At the end of the growing season last year, I harvested the remaining peppers from my 4 peppadew plants and simply set the container into the garage (about 5 gallons of fruit - hundreds of peppers red and green). Since we don't eat a lot of hot peppers here, I forgot about them until about a month ago when I was cleaning up the garage and getting things ready for planting time.

The peppers had mostly ripened out and dried quiet a bit. The two containers (One for ripe fruit at harvest time and one for the rest) had spent the winter and some VERY low temps out there. However, even though the day was cold (mid 20's), the peppers were not frozen. I broke a couple open and saw the usual seeds. The drying skins of the fruit were somewhat leathery.

So, on Feb 02, I couldn't resist and planted a six pack containing about a dozen seeds. I took it inside and set in on the top of a tall piece of furniture in the bedroom in hopes of something germinating.

After about 10 days, impatient me added a heating pad (set to LOW). Voila!! Two little seedlings popped up 3 days later. Moved everything to the fireplace hearth and added a florescent light. Voila! Two more seedlings about 3 days after that.

Now, here's the "rest of the story". I had actually loaded up two six-packs, and my purpose was really to do a test. The second one got no special heat other than the ambient temperature of the house (about 68-72F). Neither got light until germination was evident. The second six-pack still has not shown any sign of germination while the first one now has 6 plants.

Kind of shows how important temperature is when dealing with this "long season", high ambient temperature, piquant pepper.

And these will go to the garden early this year to see if we can figure out the best way to start them in Zone 6a.

Finally, I had also harvested some seeds last September. So, confident that I had plenty to plant this year, I threw the rest of those peppers out on a south-facing bank down by the fence. The birds haven't touched them and I've watched the field mice give them wide berth. I wonder how many "volunteers" I'll see this year??

Ted
I'm not growing peppadews but am growing about 10 other peppers now, and I didn't appreciate what heat does to germinating and growing peppers until I saw it in person. Others say they will grow in a cool environment, and they probably will, but I believe they do like hot feet as Craig said.

The first year I planted a bunch in a semi-shaded area and it took them at least a month to come up. I had given up on them.

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #63
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I had horrible pepper seed germination last year - although the peppadew shined amid the sadness

I use the heating mats and all. My house temp is 65-68. Quite a few pepper seeds rotted before ever sprouting.

This year, I bleached them and am amazed at the difference in germination!

Long process but I am loving the results:

Boil water and allow to cool.

Make a tea bag - I used folded over cheese cloth but I know there's a better material. I placed 10 seeds in the center and tied with a string.

Soak this bag in a solution of 1c water and 1/4c bleach, occasionally swirling for 10 minutes.

Rinse in water for 1 minute. Repeat 6 more times with the rinse. I used 7 different rinse glasses.

I am starting over 30 pepper varieties, so this took hours and hours and lots of water.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #64
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

OK, do you plant the wet seeds then? or dry them?
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #65
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

I may need to try this method. My Peppedew seed are taking forever to germinate
Using the coffee filter method with plain water with the heat set at
80 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnhanasmom View Post
I had horrible pepper seed germination last year - although the peppadew shined amid the sadness

I use the heating mats and all. My house temp is 65-68. Quite a few pepper seeds rotted before ever sprouting.

This year, I bleached them and am amazed at the difference in germination!

Long process but I am loving the results:

Boil water and allow to cool.

Make a tea bag - I used folded over cheese cloth but I know there's a better material. I placed 10 seeds in the center and tied with a string.

Soak this bag in a solution of 1c water and 1/4c bleach, occasionally swirling for 10 minutes.

Rinse in water for 1 minute. Repeat 6 more times with the rinse. I used 7 different rinse glasses.

I am starting over 30 pepper varieties, so this took hours and hours and lots of water.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #66
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

sadly the seeds that were sent to me and my friend did not germinate =(
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #67
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
sadly the seeds that were sent to me and my friend did not germinate =(
I'm sorry for your bad luck. The seed I sent you came out of the same packet that I planted this year and they germinated fine for me. They were a little slow in coming up but I got about 80% germination. How about the Uyababa and Malagueta seed I sent you?
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #68
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I'm sorry for your bad luck. The seed I sent you came out of the same packet that I planted this year and they germinated fine for me. They were a little slow in coming up but I got about 80% germination. How about the Uyababa and Malagueta seed I sent you?

Bill, The Malagueta and Uyababa came up good for me
but my Peppadew did not fare so well. I just started another
Batch in a coffee filter and moved them to the heat pad
That is set at 85 degrees.
I just figured the peppadew was a slow starter and needed
more heat to germinate.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #69
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

Trying to regerminate some of the leftover seed again and i will let you know. Sadly none of the three varieties you sent germinated. This is my third try. Thanks.
Old March 7, 2011   #70
b54red
Tomatovillian™

How long have the seed been planted? I have had pepper seed come up a full two months after planting. My Malagueta took about 6 weeks to germinate and did the poorest of the three. The Pappadews germinated better than the other two and even better than all but one of my bell peppers. I used no heat other than occaisional propane heat on the porch when nights got in the low 20's to keep it from freezing. All of the seed I sent out and the seed I planted were from the same coin envelope so I am baffled by the poor germination.

I always plant a lot of pepper seeds and usually plant them twice a few weeks apart. I do this because I can never figure out the best time to plant them and invariably one planting will do better than the other for some of the seeds while the other planting will be better for the others. Of course I have rarely had a year that some pepper seed doesn't germinate or does so poorly that I don't have enough. I've been growing peppers for 35 years and they are still a mystery to me. A couple of years ago I set out a whole row of Cayenne plants in early May and did not get a single pepper off of them til late September. I used the same seed the next year and planted the same time and was getting peppers in late June.

I think I still have some more seed if it is not too late. I'll save more if my plants do good this year but that is never a sure thing. Closest thing I have found to a sure thing in peppers is a bell called Socrates that TGS sells. The truly sure thing in my garden is nut grass and rattlesnake weed.
Old March 7, 2011   #71
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

b54red, I have 2 uyabayas growing right now. peppadew & malagueta = 0 so far... but i'm not giving up on them yet...
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #72
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

I plantes twice last year as i can grow anytime. Sowed several seeds per try. None have come up. Longest time for me to get seeds to germinate was 9 weeks. But those were chinenses. This is the first time for me having trouble with germination with annuums and frutescens pepper varieties. Will post results if and when i get any. Thanks.

This time i sowed at least six seeds per variety. This weekend i'll do some using the paper towel method to make sure i get some.
Old March 7, 2011   #73
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I put the bleached seeds into moistened paper towels, inside a ziplock baggie, then onto a heating mat, and then after germination, put them into grow cubes. After strong root development, I'll put the grow cubes into soil.

The Peppadew that I saved/traded (if I was the source) were well ripened, pods drying even, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't germinate.

The bleach method sprouted the following for me: within 2 weeks (this is every variety except one that I bleached)
Alba Regia, Alma Paprika, Ancho Gigantea, Aussie Black, Cayenne Golden, Czech Black, Feherozon, Fish, Fresno, Ghana Round, Golden Marconi, Italia, Malagueta, Martin's Carrot, New Mexico 64L (0 germ last year), Numex Espanola Improved (0 germ last year), Pasilla Bajio, Pizza (0 germ last year)

I didn't make time to bleach these, and just added them to grow cubes, then heating mat (no germination yet):
Poblano, Purple Marconi, Sigareta Dolce, Soroksari, Stavros, Sweet Feherozon, Thai Yellow, Tobago Seasoning, Uyababa, Vietnamese Multicolor, Volcano, Yellow Chicken Heart, ZK II

Last edited by austinnhanasmom; March 7, 2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: original text layout not clear
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #74
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

b54red
The malagueta you sent germinated fine for me but the peppadew were poor one seedling came up (I am not complaining ...the seeds were a gift from you and I appreciate it... just to confirm the germination%) I also had issues with Ancho (my seed from last year) the rest did good, have many peppers plants to look forward too good crop in summer.

Ps. the pot with peppadews seeds will remain in my bench until more germinate to save the plants for indoor plants for next year, I don't remove the label nor give up because I've seen peppers emerging months after being sowed before...
Old March 15, 2011   #75
b54red
Tomatovillian™

wmontanez- The Ancho seed you sent didn't germinate very good; but I did get a couple so if I have any luck with it this year I will have some seed for next year.

This has been my best year ever for pepper seed and tomato seed germination and I have no idea why. I did have one new variety of chile pepper seed that I planted twice and got zero germination from but it was the only pepper that was a total flop in germinating this year. I will have a bunch of left over seedlings this year but many years I have no extras. That is why I plant way more seed than I have any need for. You just never know when you'll have a problem with germination and it isn't that much trouble to save some fresh seed for next year.