Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 15, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Pimento Recommendation?

This is the Land Of Pimento Cheese. I always have a few small jars on hand for when the pimento cheese urge hits. But all of a sudden the local supermarkets seem to be discontinuing them. They have regular plain or roasted red peppers but in big jars and they'll go moldy in the reefer before I finish them. Soooo, I just need to grow pimentos and can 'em myself in half pint jars.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good variety of pimento that might be worthy of canning?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2020   #2
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I haven’t canned them, but sheepnose pimiento is great. Thick walls, sweet flavor, productive. Tasty when stuffed with cheese and baked in the oven. Mmm.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2020   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Any of the thick walld and juicy ones would work, plus those bigger jars if not using them up fast, freeze some in amounts you do use. I use them up in the cheese, and cornbread and whole kernel corn , egg dishes , salads and sandwiches.

Chris, if you are not in a hurry or need only some seed, I can look through my stuff as I know I have some seed for pimento types here.
Old February 15, 2020   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The problem is that bell types don't do well in the heat here so any peppers that catalogs tout as being "big, thick-walled peppers" usually aren't. I was hoping that a pimento pepper was a different type which would thrive here.

This year I'm growing the Carolina Belle and Charleston Wonder for the first time because they're both supposed to be nematode resistant and supposedly OK for hot weather areas. Maybe one of those would work.

Imp, I appreciate the offer but after thinking about it I think I'll just see what the new peppers do.

HV, thank you for the rec!
Old February 15, 2020   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

IF I recall correctly, the sheepnose peppers are thick walled, and I do know the smaller cheese shaped pimento peppers are also thicker walled and both are juicy when fresh.

Are you sure? I can and will happily dig through them if you want some seed.
Old February 16, 2020   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Are you sure? I can and will happily dig through them if you want some seed.
Ow! Ow! Owwww! You've twisted my arm and so I'll accept your generous offer. I'm not starting peppers for another couple of weeks. Somehow the garden stretcher finds room for more stuff, even if it has to go into pots. Sending PM...