Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 13, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Horseradish

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XYOSW 7 October 2012 Horseradish
The horseradish is treated as an annual. Two plants are sufficient for my needs. A perfect root has a diameter about the size of a pencil or smaller.It is found that the smaller diameter root fibre is softer than the larger roots. Rather than skin the roots they are washed in the clothes washer and this reduces the labour considerably.The cut up roots are blended in water and the minimum is used.Then vinegar is added to stabilize the mixture and blended using a hand blender. The mixture was vacuum packed and will be placed in 250 ml jars at a later time, and stored in a refrigerator. All the blending must be done outdoors, since the oils permeate a large area, and tend to affect the nasal passages adversely.Two root pieces were selected for next year plants. Any piece will grow. A proper bed will be prepared at a later date and the plants left to overwinter.This procedure is the best that has been devised to date.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?JJAEK 8 October 2012 Planting Horseradish
Two pieces of horseradish saved from the 2012 plants were carefully planted for next year harvest. A hole about four feet area was dug to about 14 inched depth. A board was placed in the hole bottom and the hole filled with some compost and soil. The board prevents the roots from growing too deep, hence making digging easier and not having the root tentacles breaking off when harvesting.The area was mulched and the roots will have some growth before freeze-up.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Durgan, this is great, useful info and with pics even! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Can I share this on a homesteading page? How do you want me to credit you?
Old March 17, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Durgan, this is great, useful info and with pics even! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Can I share this on a homesteading page? How do you want me to credit you?

Do what you want with the material. I have no axe to grind. You might put the URL to my Journal up, but not necessary.
http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal
Old March 17, 2013   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Durgan, that's really cool! I love how white the roots are when they come out of the washer.

I just bought my first horseradish root, but am going to plant it in a container. That's how my cousin does it, so that it won't take over the garden.

He has had success with his done that way. I think he just dumps it out at the end of the season, trims off the roots he needs and replants it.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Durgan, that's really cool! I love how white the roots are when they come out of the washer.

I just bought my first horseradish root, but am going to plant it in a container. That's how my cousin does it, so that it won't take over the garden.

He has had success with his done that way. I think he just dumps it out at the end of the season, trims off the roots he needs and replants it.
I find horseradish root doesn't take over and it is easy to pull up if it appears. Two roots growing well make a lot of horseradish. I start the roots in a container, then plant in the Fall and sometimes in the early Spring. A container is sometimes difficult to keep the moisture level to a suitable level.
Old March 17, 2013   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Ahhh, I suspect it doesn't take over if you are the type of person that weeds it, makes sure it stays in bounds and regularly digs it up and redistributes it each year, as you do. You are apparently a very good and attentive gardener.

I, on the other hand, will not do that. If it is not right under my feet, (and even if it is) within a year or three, I will forget to do the necessary things to keep it contained and then I will have a yard full of horseradish.

Trust me on this one, I've lived with me all my life and know of which I speak. I really shouldn't even start anything with the words "possibly invasive" used to describe it, but what's life without the occasional risk!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #7
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Thank you! I will certainly link up to your journal, which is amazing! :-)
Old March 19, 2013   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that Durgan

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote