Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 18, 2023   #16
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
Argh!!! Not just quality control out of the box - but what does it say for longevity? I have been successful ordering Nicrew LED lights for my aquarium - I assume they, too, are made in China. My SF600's are due for delivery today. Will post initial thoughts and some pics today or tomorrow.
I'm sure you will be more successful than I've been ! How could you not ?

Dan
Old January 18, 2023   #17
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

After more than twenty-five years of using fluorescent shop lights I am going to experiment with one row of LED lighting. This is what is coming soon. Newhouse Lighting 4FT LED Shop Light, 55W (225W Equivalent), 5000 Lumens, 4000K. This does not sound as fancy as what is being talked about but will this do?
Old January 18, 2023   #18
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Paul

Fancy isn't required ! Proof is in the pudding. I'd feel better if you were using 2 of these babies. Probably it will work about like your fluorescent shop lights did. You'll be telling us in a while.

Last edited by Yak54; January 18, 2023 at 04:17 PM.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2023   #19
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

AAAugh! it is a single bulb and I thought it was a double...oh well we shall see what happens. This fixture may become a basement light and I will order a double. Thanks.
Old January 18, 2023   #20
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

When you get old you start missing details

Dan
Old January 19, 2023   #21
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I am just beginning to realize that...had to explain it to my wife why another light order got made.
Old January 19, 2023   #22
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I am just beginning to realize that...had to explain it to my wife why another light order got made.

Paul....you can be assured that I'm NOT laughing at you but with you !

Dan

Last edited by Yak54; January 20, 2023 at 01:52 PM.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2023   #23
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Well so far, I'm not making out much better. I was all excited to see my order had shipped, but when it arrived, it was only the heat mat that showed up. Still awaiting lights.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2023   #24
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Is the item perhaps on Back Order ?
Old January 22, 2023   #25
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

They came! Packed very nicely with no shipping damage. Will reserve judgement on the wonky wire hangers until I adjust the lights a few times. Old dog, new tricks thing... I am used to chain and caribineer clips. So let's see how I do here with pics...

Old lights... Phillips T8's 4 lights in 2 fixtures = 128 watts per shelf

Unpacked...

New (top) vs Old (bottom)

Both installed... now using 74 watts per shelf

We just installed solar in October so excited to see if the lower wattage will pay off. Lights seem nice, not flimsy. Customer service was fairly non-existant - I couldn't get them to respond to me about the lights that were not received the other day. I only received 1 tracking number for the order and then it was marked complete but I had only rceived the meating mat I ordered. I called, no one answered, I emailed twice, but they did show up and thankfully are both working.
Old January 22, 2023   #26
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I'd be interested in hearing from you in a few weeks for an update on this light and what your thoughts are.

Dan
Old January 22, 2023   #27
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Will do! I am not doing away with my lights until I see what happens. I've used those shop lights very successfully for years. I grow on shelves in my basement so my starts get the cold treatment as well. It's a crapshoot what happens to them each year after they go outside, but inside my previous setup always resulted in great plants so these have a tough spot to try and fill.
Old January 22, 2023   #28
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
Will do! I am not doing away with my lights until I see what happens. I've used those shop lights very successfully for years. I grow on shelves in my basement so my starts get the cold treatment as well. It's a crapshoot what happens to them each year after they go outside, but inside my previous setup always resulted in great plants so these have a tough spot to try and fill.
Ya I still have two 4 light T8 fixtures that I've been using for the last 10 yrs. with great results.

Dan
Old March 30, 2023   #29
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

WAY early to post thoughts, but I started my seed on 03/17 and currently have 38 little tomato, eggplant and a variety of peppers growing under one of the SF600. Wasn't quite sure where to place the lights so they are low to the plants and I check daily.

My growing shelves are in my basements where temps are probably what many would consider sub-optimal, but I like growing my plants in cool temps. Been doing it for years, I get real thick, solid stems; although growth is a bit slower, they always grow healthy so why fix what isn't broke?

My first germinated tomatoes are starting true leaves. PS - I love this time of year!
Old March 31, 2023   #30
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

A couple of years before the covid I got the 2 foot led grow lights from walmart and glued magnets from old pc hardrives onto them so I could stick onto the underside of metal shelves.
Initially I was able to keep them around @18 inches,but I think over time they are getting weaker.I put them on top of the clear cover seed starting trays until the plants hit the top,then transfer the trays under my 4 foot grow lights.
Those are 18 or 20 inches above the plants.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote