Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 11, 2017   #196
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Archery Deer Season is open in Illinois and they have legalized crossbows... I predict I will have an excess of venison soon... any ideas on canning it?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017   #197
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Chili.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017   #198
imp
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome. I tend to keep that page open when I am canning, double checking myself as I go since it is all still new to me.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017   #199
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Archery Deer Season is open in Illinois and they have legalized crossbows... I predict I will have an excess of venison soon... any ideas on canning it?
According to the National Center page, other than possibly bring it, it's like any other meat. Does that help or are you looking for recipes for venison to be canned?

Last edited by imp; October 11, 2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Brine, LOL, not bring!
Old October 11, 2017   #200
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

thanks Imp and Barb. I did them for 90 today but next time.... since we can't eat onions it is hard to find anything without them... I have to make what ever I want from scratch.
Old October 11, 2017   #201
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
thanks Imp and Barb. I did them for 90 today but next time.... since we can't eat onions it is hard to find anything without them... I have to make what ever I want from scratch.
That must be hard to find anything with out onions, and such a shame you can't have them!

There are some things I like "out", but since going back to cooking, this is bad, LOL, I like my cooking better than most of the "out" foods.
Old October 11, 2017   #202
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Imp... it is a pain in the butt. absolutely drives me crazy. no garlic, no onions. no synthetic food dyes, no aspartame.... try looking at the ingredients of any prepared food. very few brands can I buy. I do most of my shopping at Aldi since I am pretty safe from the dyes.
Old October 12, 2017   #203
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Imp... it is a pain in the butt. absolutely drives me crazy. no garlic, no onions. no synthetic food dyes, no aspartame.... try looking at the ingredients of any prepared food. very few brands can I buy. I do most of my shopping at Aldi since I am pretty safe from the dyes.
OMG, no garlic and no onions?!! How awful. I wouldn't know what to do! I grew up with the Italians and Portuguese, so always depended on both garlic and onions for flavoring points.

You and MissS are in a similar boat- she has to watch sodium a lot due to her heart. And it seems everything has sodium in it, too.

Well, not getting as much done as you are, Carolyn, but got 10 pints of taco seasoned chicken and almost done with 10 pints of corned beef and potatoes.

Have another corned beef to do tomorrow ( later today?!), but will also add carrots to those. Should be about another 10 pints or maybe 12 from that package.

One of the local stores is having a sale on tripe, so later this week may make up a big pot of Philadelphia Pepperpot soup to can up. Black pepper gives it that spicy heat perfect on those cold winter days. Especially with home made biscuits, buttered up.

Edit:

Finally! But 20 nice jars cooling and lids pinging!It's a good feeling to know that even if the electricity goes off, or I am staying in due to ice storms, I have many choices as what to eat.

The bad thing is I need to get my pantry room re-arranged for more space to be used more wisely and effectively.

Edit again, LOL:

Out of the 20 jars, one of the corned beef and potatoes did not seal. It's in the fridge, will either re can it in another batch, or gee darn it ! - just HAVE to eat it.

Last edited by imp; October 12, 2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old October 13, 2017   #204
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The comment about the smaller canners running out of steam.
This could be true if someone let the regulator weight jiggle almost or all the time.
I have seen it happening on YouTube videos.
Many of these but not all have people that didn't read instructions or have no idea how this all works.
With my older canners with petcocks I can keep steady pressure on them without them hardly ever releasing steam.
You can do the same with the regulator weights.

My hand made closer tolerance regulator weights and vent pipes work way better than the factory ones.

Worth
Old October 14, 2017   #205
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oh my. The can of corned beef and potatoes that did not seal? It was so yummy. Going to have to some more corned beef!
Old October 14, 2017   #206
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just came up with a wild but not new idea.
Canned water for emergencies.
Sometimes I have to put a jar of water in the canner to make up space so the jars wont topple over.
Why not just can it and set it aside for some time in the future or if you need sterile water.
This would also be a good way to have safe drinking water from a questionable source if need be in a pinch I would think.
Worth
Old October 14, 2017   #207
imp
Tomatovillian™

A picture of the last round of chicken breasts, chunked and canned up with taco seasonings for salads, enchiladas, or tacos, or???? I went light on the seasonings as some seem to intensify over time from what I have read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1507855888391.jpg (41.4 KB, 48 views)
Old October 14, 2017   #208
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I just came up with a wild but not new idea.
Canned water for emergencies.
Sometimes I have to put a jar of water in the canner to make up space so the jars wont topple over.
Why not just can it and set it aside for some time in the future or if you need sterile water.
This would also be a good way to have safe drinking water from a questionable source if need be in a pinch I would think.
Worth
That's a not terrible idea.
I have to store all these jars anyway. Why not fill them with sterile water? They're always turning the water off here without warning. That way I'd always have some besides what's left in the electric kettle.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017   #209
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Canning is not very popular here except pickles and jams. Finding good durable jars is difficult and most of those do not have extra lids available, so for reusing the jars people do reuse also the lids, which do not have separate rim and lid. In USA I loved the mason jars with two part lids and I used to do a lot of hot water bath canning of fruits, pickles and salsa. When we moved I packed my collection of jars with me and purchased a lot of new lids to use with them. Over the years I used all my new lids, so now every time I hear someone coming to Finland from USA, I have asked them to bring me lids. There is an Italian jar maker, who makes jars with same size lids and threads as in the wide and regular mouth jars, but even the jars are sold here nobody sells the extra lids. I know that the lids should not be reused, but I have now done it for some and they have sealed fine.

Just tonight I canned dozen pint jars of tomato salsa. I do not make as much jams and jellies as I used to do, since we do not eat those so often and the shelves are stacked with old jams. We eat a lot of salsa and cucumber relish, so those are the ones I make more every year.

This year we got bumper crop of raspberries, so I made couple of batches of raspberry and blueberry jam. Most of the raspberries went to the steam juicer and I bottled the juice hot to clean wine bottles and closed with special rubber caps, which seal the bottles air tight. The berry juices can be stored long time with this method, when there is some sugar and ascorbic acid added as preservative.

If my husband starts again hunting moose, I may have to get a pressure cooker and start canning meat. So far I have canned only high acidic foods, because I do not have a pressure cooker and I am a bit concerned about the safety of canning low acidic foods.

Sari
Old October 14, 2017   #210
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sari, pressure canning scared me, but with the help f\of folks on here and the website I linked, it makes it easy to follow the directions to make it safe and tasty, too.

If I can learn to pressure can, any one can do it, too. I'm such a ding at times, but it has turned into fun for the most part.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can5_meat.html