Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 11, 2013   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default fav organic materials

what are your favorite organic materials to mix into your garden and how long do you mix in before planting your tomatoes?

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

My fav is grass clippings and I just throw them on top. Hay leaves manure coffee grounds compost are all good too.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #3
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

I usually grow several bush bean plants and borage throughout the growing season to till back into the garden in fall...I also add compost, dried leaves, used coffee grounds and grounded up roasted eggshells in the fall for the next spring/summer season. This year I'll be growing the cover crop combination of Peas/Oats in both spring and fall to till back into the garden for next year.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

A handful of alfalfa pellets in the bottom of the deep planting hole (immediately before planting, covered with a thin layer of soil), and foliar feed with seaweed (when I get around to it, later in the season).

This year I'm going to try rock dust (mixed with compost first), once I find a source.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #5
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

My favorite OM is compost that I make with spent mushroom substrate, shredded leaves, kitchen waste, garden debris, used coffee grounds, seaweeds, wood ashes and alfalfa pellets. I spread a couple of inches in the bed then broadfork it in about a week or so before I set out plants.
Old March 12, 2013   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The two that I like the most are cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets for two reasons. One they are very easy to handle and mix into the beds and two they are very high in fertilizer value. After that would be homemade compost, cow and chicken manure, and mushroom compost. One of the best things I ever used was a wagon load of ground peanut hulls. I had the most productive garden the year after I spread that stuff 6 inches deep over my whole garden and tilled it in. Alas I haven't been able to get anymore peanut hulls in 30 years but I still remember those 6 and 7 inch onions and those broccoli heads where some were 12 inches across. No matter what I have done since then I have never come close to matching the production I got the year after using the ground peanut hulls.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #7
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The two that I like the most are cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets for two reasons. One they are very easy to handle and mix into the beds and two they are very high in fertilizer value. After that would be homemade compost, cow and chicken manure, and mushroom compost. One of the best things I ever used was a wagon load of ground peanut hulls. I had the most productive garden the year after I spread that stuff 6 inches deep over my whole garden and tilled it in. Alas I haven't been able to get anymore peanut hulls in 30 years but I still remember those 6 and 7 inch onions and those broccoli heads where some were 12 inches across. No matter what I have done since then I have never come close to matching the production I got the year after using the ground peanut hulls.
when do you typically add the cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets?

Old March 12, 2013   #8
Masbustelo
Tomatovillian™

I work in horse manure and leaves in the fall, and add Alfalfa meal, hopefully about a week before the tomatoes go in. You have to watch it because it will heat up and burn the roots.
Masbustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #9
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masbustelo View Post
You have to watch it because it will heat up and burn the roots.
i thought i've read about this happening and this was a concern. i was going to add about a month before plant out but was hoping to hear from others that use alfalfa meal, alfalfa pellets and cottonseed meal

Old March 13, 2013   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have found through trial and error that the alfalfa pellets need a bit more time in the ground than cottonseed meal before planting. I usually put them in anywhere from 2 weeks to a month early and make sure that they get watered a couple of times. I have planted the same day as I added the cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets but if you do that you better give the plants a good full strength dose of the Miracle Grow formula that is high in nitrogen or your plants will have some yellowing for a few days. Cottonseed meal breaks down far faster than alfalfa pellets so it doesn't need as much wait time before planting and earthworms just love it. Adding cottonseed meal to your soil is like ringing the diner bell for earthworms.

They can both be added to mature plants as a top dressing if scratched into the soil and watered well with no harmful effects unless you add a huge amount at once. They both release their nutrients slowly so don't expect instant results. If you want to top dress organically and have very rapid results use some chicken manure or blood meal. When top dressing I like to add a bit of both cottonseed meal and chicken manure at the same time.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2013   #11
henry
Tomatovillian™

We Use alfalfa pellets in our garlic fields, we spread the alfalfa pellets on the ground and then turn on the sprinklers for an hour or so the pellets swell up and break apart making them easy to till in the next day.
Old March 13, 2013   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I like Leonardite and Kelp Meal. I work them in about a week prior to planting. In the planting hole I use worm compost, tomato tone, and mycorrhizae.
Old March 13, 2013   #13
John3
Tomatovillian™

I see some are using cottonseed and alfalfa pellets and peanut shells - does anyone use pecan shells?
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2013   #14
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I must say that my favorite organic material is whatever is available, plentiful, and free. Mix it up, apply liberally, and it's all good. At least that's so for the stuff that is available around here.
Shawn
Old March 14, 2013   #15
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

Is there much difference from alfalfa pellets, and alfalfa meal?

Alfalfa pellets- as in rabbit food? Only thing I see @ bog box stores has added vitamins that costs about $8 for 10lbs.

Assuming a feed store would have them in 50lb bags, is there anything to look out for?
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote