Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 18, 2013   #1
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Default Wintersown Tomato vs Indoor Grown Tomato (Prudens Purple)

I just wanted to do a comparison between an indoor grown tomato plant vs one grown outdoors without any babying. Both were germinated outside. Figure it would fun to see the differences and compare how each would grow under these 2 different conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ws_id_experiment.jpg (350.9 KB, 58 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
I just wanted to do a comparison between an indoor grown tomato plant vs one grown outdoors without any babying. Both were germinated outside. Figure it would fun to see the differences and compare how each would grow under these 2 different conditions.
But if both were germinated outside I'm not sure where the comparison might be.

it seems to me that you'd want to compare inside germinated ones with outside germinated ones,but I don't know the temps in your area or anything else as to the many variables that can impact germination of tomato seeds.

Carolyn
Old March 18, 2013   #3
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I only used the outdoor germinated Prudens purple seeds to keep the seedlings the same size same date of germination. The indoor grown tomato plant doesn't get any outdoor sunlight just lights under cfl. And the outdoor grown tomato seedling just gets left outside with cooler night temps while the indoor grown tomato plant has a fairly consistent temp at 72F. I just want to observe how two seedlings that germinated on the same day compare as if one was growing exclusively indoors till planting date. Our night time temps still get in to the 40's so i will wait till we have 50F nights to plant these 2 plants side by side to see which produces tomatoes first and see if there is a difference in production for fun. I am no expert so its fun for me to just do this to see how the 2 plants will compare.

Last edited by Delerium; March 18, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote