Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 4, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Pro Mix Question

I stopped by the local plant store that we buy our transplants from today. I asked the lady who runs and owns the place about seed starting medium. She told me she has some large bags (Over 2 cubic ft.) of something called, "LC1 Professional Growers Mix" She told us other stores sell it for $24-$30 but that she would sell it to us for $12.99. She said it has a lot of perlite in it.

Have any of you used this LC1 professional growers mix for starting tomato and pepper seeds? Or do you know anything about it in general? Any info would be very welcome.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2014   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

That is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 I believe. Raybo uses/used Sunshine mix #4 in his Earthtainers.
Promix as a brand name is by Premier.
Haven't personally used it, but if it is the Sungro brand, I can't recall anyone saying anything negative about it.
If it is #1, it has a starter fertilizer charge.
This the stuff?
http://www.planetnatural.com/product/sunshine-mix-1/
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2014   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm pretty sure that is it. She has it at her house because the shop is selling religious products and yard art this month. Everything I looked up online points to it being the sunshine brand.

I think it is probably this one http://www.bfgsupply.com/order-now/1...-southern-51pl

Last edited by AlittleSalt; December 4, 2014 at 09:57 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2014   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

You should do fine with it. Don't buy into the "great deal" sales pitch though. The 2.8 bags appear to typically go for 14-15 bucks so 13 is a little under average. Full bales are probably 35 to 40.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote