Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 26, 2015   #61
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Monty, Is it hot yet? And if so, how are they handling it?
What is your name? LOL. It's been in the 90s in my GH where the squash is being harvested. Outside, it's in the 80s at times. I can almost guarantee these will not have an issue with heat. I've grown the Lemon in 100 deg weather outside last year, 90s regularly. And, the Tatume is a mexican squash that is prolific in Texas heat from many vids I've seen. Keep sharing your pics sir! Or, ma'am. Hey, don't want to make assumptions.

Monty
monty71466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #62
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
It will be interesting to see if multiple people end up following their own lines how similar or different the endpoints end up.
I hope to have an F2 growout this year. I selfed and crossed with one of my LZ semi-viners.

Monty
Old May 26, 2015   #63
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty71466 View Post
What is your name? LOL. It's been in the 90s in my GH where the squash is being harvested. Outside, it's in the 80s at times. I can almost guarantee these will not have an issue with heat. I've grown the Lemon in 100 deg weather outside last year, 90s regularly. And, the Tatume is a mexican squash that is prolific in Texas heat from many vids I've seen. Keep sharing your pics sir! Or, ma'am. Hey, don't want to make assumptions.

Monty
I will. Its in the low 90's sunny and windy most days here. Thunderstorm may or may not pop up in the afternoons. Once my zucchini die off (which should be Any day by the looks of them) these four plants from Justin's cross will be the only squash around. Thinking ahead, should I let them cross? Or hand pollinate? I know nothing about genetics but I'd be thrilled to do something potentially useful (other than feeding squash to my family)

I'm Steve by the way.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #64
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

What disease pressures do you have in Florida summer? Or is it more just heat related? Insect related?

We get powdery mildew in the later part of summer every year here in Wisconsin, especially by early August with warm days and longer, cooler nights at that point. Occasionally SVB issues as well, Tatume will root at nodes, which helps it survive that attack, although my vertical growing negates that advantage. I don't grow a ton of squash, so I do try to screen plants nightly and destroy any eggs if they show up.

As far as pollination, I'd hand pollinate them if possible, which would be the best way to preserve the genetics unique to the cross (in case of neighboring C. Pepo pollen coming in on pollinators) (and in this slightly odd case) the uniqueness of each F1 since there is variability in the F1 (which from my understanding of genetics is typically not the case, F1 generation is often uniform). If not you're not interesting in save seeds and growing subsequent generations, then it doesn't matter. But if you want to, go for it, but don't feel compelled. I will plan on saving seeds from each F1 and growing the F2 of the plant that I find suits my goals the best in 2016.

Monty's advantage of a greenhouse allows him to do two generations in a year (I suppose you could as well being in Florida), but in Wisconsin I don't think it would be enough time to mature the second generation of seed without a greenhouse.

Justin

Last edited by jmsieglaff; May 26, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #65
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default Dense & Heavy LT

I collected the fruit for seed. It is 2lbs & 6" in diameter. Will let seed mature for another week or so.

Monty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LT.jpg (238.9 KB, 102 views)
Old May 30, 2015   #66
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Justin, did you eat your original seed fruit? If so, how did it taste?
Old May 30, 2015   #67
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Nice Monty! Looks how I would have guessed. What plant is it from (selfed fruit?). I never have matured a Lemon. Do they turn hard or go soft like a cucumber when mature?

I did not eat it (only eaten immature Tatume).
Old May 30, 2015   #68
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Nice Monty! Looks how I would have guessed. What plant is it from (selfed fruit?). I never have matured a Lemon. Do they turn hard or go soft like a cucumber when mature?

I did not eat it (only eaten immature Tatume).
My favorite #3 fruit selfed. Yes, they turn hard more or less. I let the lemon stay on vine forever before I took them. For some reason, takes a long, long time with them. I have done it 3 times and the seed in the Lemon always seem immature, not plump like your LT. Of the 3 batches saved last year, two batches germinated well. I have another Lemon hybrid semi-viner (mother) that I crossed with male pollen from your LT hybrid. It's maturing. I honestly think the mother has an affect on the dynamic of plant despite the genetic knowns we all read about.

Monty

Last edited by monty71466; May 30, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 30, 2015   #69
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default Grilled #3 & #5

Grilled up some LTs. #5 much seedier at baseball size than #3 at softball size. I didn't get the nice caramelized taste I had hoped for. Both were tasty enough, but not great. I'd say the taste tests mentioned earlier for #3 and #5 stand still as grilled. Love the plant habit, but needs improved taste. Hopefully F2s will throw some great choices. Recipe used:

1 garlic clove, minced
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Combine and brush, turn, brush for about 3-5 minutes each side.

Monty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrilledLT.jpg (244.1 KB, 97 views)
Old May 30, 2015   #70
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Nice work, they sure look tasty! Hopefully you find something you like the taste of even better in the F2!

Your grilled squash recipe is fairly similar to mine--I do olive oil, salt, pepper, freshly chopped garlic and onions, hit with some fresh chopped flat leaf parsley as soon as it is off the grill. The addition of a little citrus juice sounds like a good addition. We also make a squash skillet dish that uses cumin and paprika so that sounds really good too.

My F1 ones are growing nicely, although the next few nights will surely slow them down as we're expecting some unseasonably cool weather. Not unheard of, but certainly rare for this time of year.

If you get a chance I'd love to see a picture of the plants habit, etc. When do you expect to harvest the seeds from your fruit and plant the F2?
Old June 1, 2015   #71
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

I will harvest the seeds on Friday or Saturday. Will plant out a few days after they dry. Here are some pics. I tried loading a video. No luck. I have kept my two plants to 1 vine otherwise, it will take over everything. I've trimmed off more than 20 vines on #3. This limits squash production as each branch sports a new baby immediately. The flowers (m/f) are each about 6" in diameter open. The two small plants are the size of my field LTs as of two days ago.

Monty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FieldLTs.jpg (133.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg LT3.jpg (158.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg LT3Branch.jpg (112.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg LT3Flower.jpg (120.0 KB, 85 views)
Old June 1, 2015   #72
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I think I'm gonna need a bigger trellis.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #73
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Wow! I'm going to need to get my pruner sharpened to keep the plants straight!
Old June 1, 2015   #74
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to say that these may be more similar in plant habit than I had originally thought. The only true differences I can confirm now, this much later, is that 1 of my plants had more green on the balls. The leaf shape, variegation patterns, and even production may change with maturity or environment. Even the taste MAY have been affected by environment. I can't wait to confirm with our outside grows. Right now, they look like a bush squash mostly. Justin, the long #5 above in the picture: Is that a Tatume leaf shape? My Lemon's didn't look like that at all. I will look again at older pics though. What similarities to Tatume do you see?

Monty
Old June 1, 2015   #75
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Monty,

I see a lot of Tatume in those pictures. It was the mother so there maybe something to the DNA that comes solely from the mother. The dark green vines and ability to climb are much like Tatume. The leaf shape while isn't exactly like Tatume, it has deep leaf notches, which Tatume does, especially compared to Lemon. You can see a few pictures of Tatume on the 1st page of this post (first picture here is a good zoom out of Tatume plants http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....53&postcount=9 ).

The fruit definitely look more like Lemon, in shape, size, and color.

I've got a few F1s along with 1 plant of Tatume and Lemon growing this year.

Justin