Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 10, 2016   #16
shule1

EDIT: I didn't realize this was about yellow tomatoes when I wrote this, but Medovaya Kaplya is a great yellow cherry pear for taste. Yellow Riesentraube is pretty cool, too, and productive but Medovaya Kaplya is much sweeter.

I recommend Medovaya Kaplya and Ron's Carbon Copy. They're both extremely sweet cherries with consistently good flavor (but they taste a lot different from each other). Medovaya Kaplya looks like Yellow pear, but it's potato leaf. Gardener's Delight is capable of tasting awesome, given the right conditions. Cherokee Green Pear can taste pretty awesome, in a fruity, sweet way (but it doesn't taste so consistently in my garden, this year).

Other tomatoes I like for flavor (though they're not nearly as sweet) include these:
* Green Giant (for fresh eating; very juicy; rich tomato taste)
* Pruden's Purple (tastes awesome sliced fresh on hamburgers)
* I know many have disagreed, but I like Early Girl F1 when still orange (for fresh eating, salads, canning, etc.; more acidic than most tomatoes)
* McGee (at least for fresh eating, but I'm sure it has many other uses; more acidic than many tomatoes)
* Persimmon (I like it fresh; has a tangy good flavor)
* Peaceful Valley's Beefsteak (for pizza; it still tastes great after being cooked)
* Ovita (kind of unique; it surprised most people who ate it)
* I know some may disagree considerably, but I liked Tlacalula Ribbed (Pink Stuffer) a lot. It had nice flavor in my yard, and I preferred it to Zapotec Pink Pleated, which looks the same. I grew Pink Accordian for comparison, too, but it turned out to be a red plum tomato (probably a cross).

If we're including other factors besides taste, but including taste, these are my recommendations for all-around appeal (the suggestions above are just for taste, although I'm sure they could rank higher in other regards with greater acclimatization):
* Matina (mild and firm to tangy and soft; very early; very productive; a few people that tried this pointed out that they preferred it to most or all the others)
* Thessaloniki (very productive; really easy to find and pick these, as they're big, round and firm, and grow bunched together; a friend said these were the best tomatoes he had ever tasted)
* Creole (similarly in taste, texture, size and shape to Thessaloniki, but earlier in my garden; mine was smothered too much to tell how productive it can be, though)
* Sweet Ozark Orange (big orange tomatoes with decent taste and production; when they're not fully ripe, they taste kind of like peaches)
* Chapman (huge 2lb tomatoes that look and feel awesome, and have great taste)

Tomatoes may taste different in my soil and climate than yours, though (we have clay loam soil and use city water, in a near-desert climate, which may change the dynamics considerably).

Last edited by shule1; October 11, 2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old October 10, 2016   #17
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I'll throw out Casey's Pure Yellow. It was a great sweet flavor and out produces just about every other tomato I plant. I just picked 24 large beefsteaks off from one plant because frost can't be too far off.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. If we're talking of cherry varieties, then GoldKrone is really a winner. Sweet and prolific.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #19
green_go
Tomatovillian™

Try Esterina. This is an F1 hybrid, very productive yellow cherry. It is the sweetest tomato I've ever tasted. I've grown Sun Sugar F1 beside Esterina F1 this year and I could sample both at the same time - Esterina is sweeter than Sun Sugar (which in my opinion as sweet as Sun Gold) and way sweeter than GoldKrone (which I also grew)
Old October 10, 2016   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's gives Esterina a glowing review. I really liked White Cherry, and they replaced it with Esterina.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-9907-esterina.aspx
Massive yields on big clusters. Flavor is very sweet, but well balanced with a tangy kick. Smooth, even texture adds to their exceptional snacking quality. Resisted cracking very well in a wet trial season here on the Albion research farm. Open plant for easy access and good airflow. Substantially better flavor, yield, and appearance than White Cherry, which it replaced. High resistance to verticillium wilt.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #21
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I also highly recommend Esterina F1 for a yellow cherry. I trialed 5 different yellow/orange cherries last year and it beat out every one of them including Sun Gold F1.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #22
Antipodean
Tomatovillian™

I like jaune flamme and azoychka! Both are early-mid and tasty, not sweet....more a zingy taste!
Antipodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #23
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

My favorite yellow this year was Kellogg's Breakfast.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #24
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Three genes are being discussed: Yellow, Tangerine, and Beta. Here are a few thoughts on them.

Manyel and Galina's Yellow Cherry - good yellow, very sweet flavor that is just a tiny bit tart.

Kelloggs Breakfast (or KBX) - best tangerine I have grown, superb flavor

Jaune Flamme and Sungold - good beta varieties, JF is very tart while Sungold is very sweet.

I suggest growing Hibor which is an orange pear shaped tomato that is exceptionally sweet. Galina's is a very good large cherry. Manyel is a medium slicer that is well worth growing.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #25
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Three genes are being discussed: Yellow, Tangerine, and Beta. Here are a few thoughts on them.

Manyel and Galina's Yellow Cherry - good yellow, very sweet flavor that is just a tiny bit tart.

Kelloggs Breakfast (or KBX) - best tangerine I have grown, superb flavor

Jaune Flamme and Sungold - good beta varieties, JF is very tart while Sungold is very sweet.

I suggest growing Hibor which is an orange pear shaped tomato that is exceptionally sweet. Galina's is a very good large cherry. Manyel is a medium slicer that is well worth growing.
So, do all of the following varieties share the Tangerine gene (and none of them have the yellow gene)? They all turn orange, in my experience and/or others:

* Japanese Trifele Yellow
* Mexican Yellow
* Yellow Ruffled
* Sweet Ozark Orange
* Persimmon
* Big Sungold Select
* Valencia
* Dad's Sunset

I imagine Lemon Boy F1, Yellow Pear, Medovaya Kaplya, Yellow Riesentraube, Golden King of Siberia, and some others I've grown have the yellow gene, as they never turn orange in the slightest in my experience (granted, I think Golden King of Siberia has a slightly different tone of yellow than the others; so, it may or may not have a different yellow gene, if one exists).

The only tomatoes I know of off-hand with the Beta Carotene gene are Jaune Flammee and Caro Rich (but I know there are at least a few others). Does anyone know any new ones that have been bred?

Last edited by shule1; October 11, 2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old October 13, 2016   #26
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

This year find was Altai orange , altaiskiy orangevyi, early for midseason, very productive with superb taste.

Last edited by Lindalana; October 13, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2016   #27
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Not exactly yellow, more yellow-orange, but I highly recommend KBX! Grew it for the first time this year and it will be in the garden again next year.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2016   #28
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Mid summer-early fall Chef's Choice Orange were surprisingly good this year.

Sweet Ozark Orange has yet to disappoint.

Lucky Cross is a heavyweight too.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2016   #29
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;595584]Johnny's gives Esterina a glowing review. I really liked White Cherry, and they replaced it with Esterina.

Speaking of White Cherry, JohnnySeeds has had it on sale for 1.00 a pack for awhile now!

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6219-white-cherry.aspx

Allen
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2016   #30
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Johnny's white cherry two years now. And no longer. It is in the dud pile. I think that pile has about 24 varieties that i've bundled together so not to be tempted to grow again. A bit bland and not a very productive one. Maybe 2 dozen toms the entire season.

My favorite, hands down, in the small cherry/grape category is CubanYellow. Only mentioned a couple time here, in passing, on a couple threads. Like all tomatoes, they do well for some and not every climate, or personal taste, etc.

Im curious if low acid is what you are looking for, or just another variety for color and size to round out your mix. Probably why i purchased and grew white cherry. Not for low acid, just looking for another good producer/color in my cherry salad mix.

I have a dozen toms i always grow...CubanYellowGrape has moved to that list. With SunGold, AnnaRussian, CherokeeChocolate, GGWT, etc....Tomatoes that do well for me in the August heat and cold/damp NorthEast June/September. Producing all through the season. And always trying new ones.

We host a tomato tasting menu every year, the end of August. Peak harvest time. A three year old, "I'm almost four!" visited a few times over the past season. Children in the garden is a joy. At the party, being familiar with the garden, she took a tray and the rest of the kids to the garden to pic cherries. (I left a ton of ripe ones for them). They came back with a full tray but no CYG. "oh, we ate those 'cuz they are the yummiest". They picked a dozen antho for beauty. She even knew to look under the black stem end for a red/pink blush. Declared by all a "spitter", lol.

SunGold has such good overall flavor and why so popular...having a good burst as a snacker...yet CYG is so tight in its skin, like a very tight over-filled balloon, thin-skinned, and more of an explosion of flavor hitting all the taste buds. Also a good keeper, picked Sunday with other cherries, in the tomato cherry bowl all week. By Wed-Thurs i start freezing my cherry mix whole as they ripen into qrt zip-locks for winter cooking.
It has that perfect balance of tart/sweet lemonade with a hint of honey...and tomato flavor lingers.
The first tomato in the garden and even with some browning foliage is still producing today, October 15th!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuban yellow.jpg (277.6 KB, 307 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote