Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2017   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,219
Default Worth's 2017 Accidental Garden.

That is what it is because some of this stuff broke the laws of nature.
I just transplanted all of the sweet potatoes that survived the winter here into the raised beds.
Last year I let one vine grow up into a container and this spring it rewarded me with several slips.
Plus other ones coming up in places I didn't plant sweet potatoes.
My conclusion is at least here you can leave some in the ground for next year and this is what I did.
The ground doesn't freeze here so it wont kill the potato just the stuff above ground.

I have my four tomato plants taken care of and my two pepper plants are doing good.

The soil in the little bed is fantastic it is full of critters and fungus breaking down dead matter.
A white fungus layer all in it.
Next I am going to start soaking my okra seeds to get them going.
There is also a 3 foot tall Crape Myrtle that has sprouted from seed this year in the garden I need to transplant.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,987
Default

How long do you soak your okra seeds? I'm planting out the garden this weekend starting today. We bought Emerald to grow this year.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
How long do you soak your okra seeds? I'm planting out the garden this weekend starting today. We bought Emerald to grow this year.
As long as it takes for them to germinate/sprout with little tails.
I have planted them with some pretty good tails and they still grew fine.

I just started mine.
Cow Horn and Long Pod Green.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,987
Default

Hmm, I've never sown them like that. I just checked the soil temperature in the raised bed I want to grow the okra in. It's 72F at 4" deep. It sounds like soaking the okra until it grows a tail would be quicker than just sowing the seeds.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #5
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Santa Maria California
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That is what it is because some of this stuff broke the laws of nature.
I just transplanted all of the sweet potatoes that survived the winter here into the raised beds.
Last year I let one vine grow up into a container and this spring it rewarded me with several slips.
Plus other ones coming up in places I didn't plant sweet potatoes.
My conclusion is at least here you can leave some in the ground for next year and this is what I did.
The ground doesn't freeze here so it wont kill the potato just the stuff above ground.

I have my four tomato plants taken care of and my two pepper plants are doing good.

The soil in the little bed is fantastic it is full of critters and fungus breaking down dead matter.
A white fungus layer all in it.
Next I am going to start soaking my okra seeds to get them going.
There is also a 3 foot tall Crape Myrtle that has sprouted from seed this year in the garden I need to transplant.
Worth
Sounds like you're in the bonus round on your sweet taters!.im planting veggies now , can you explain your okra seeds soak. Is it in paper towels and then how do you get em in the soil? . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Sounds like you're in the bonus round on your sweet taters!.im planting veggies now , can you explain your okra seeds soak. Is it in paper towels and then how do you get em in the soil? . Jimbo
Dish plate paper towel seeds paper towel water.
When they start to germinate I use a dibble to make holes in the soil for each seed one foot apart.
This dibble I made myself.
Worth
IMG_20170330_10740.jpg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.

Last edited by Worth1; March 30, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Hmm, I've never sown them like that. I just checked the soil temperature in the raised bed I want to grow the okra in. It's 72F at 4" deep. It sounds like soaking the okra until it grows a tail would be quicker than just sowing the seeds.
Salt I even soak bean seeds over night first.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #8
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™
 
weaselbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: nc
Posts: 46
Default

I've soaked them overnight but not till they sprouted. Sounds like the way to do it. I plant mine with a pencil stuck in the ground, no till gardening At the end of the summer you cant pull the darn things up from all the roots that buried themselves in the red dirt here. Just whack them off at the ground with a machete.
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,219
Default

I'm hoping for a bumper crop of okra this year.
For something that is easy and cheap to grow I cant figure out why it is so costly in the store.

The tomato plants got about three hand fulls of Plant Tone in each container.
Then after they were planted I poured a circle of pure fish emulsion around them and watered.
Both raised beds have been line trimmed down to the soil.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #10
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™
 
bryanccfshr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Farmington, Nm
Posts: 451
Default

How's it going Worth. Still growing some of those green varieties you gave me 11 years ago!
__________________
I moved!
bryanccfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,525
Default

I couldn't imagine Worth not having a garden. Glad to hear the news.

On the Okra start, I have done it once (Long ago ). I just planted the seeds in small pots and put then in the cold frame to keep them warm. I am not sure exactly how long it took but I remember being surprised as I was expecting them to take long time. This time I will try both soaking method and direct sowing in pot, in cold frame.

Now that I have sown my corn, bean, cukes, melons , its time for okra.
I have 3 varieties : NONE is Clemson Spineless Those stuff got so tough before you could say 'AH'
BTW. I see some corn and cuke sprouts emerging.
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanccfshr View Post
How's it going Worth. Still growing some of those green varieties you gave me 11 years ago!
I'm doing fine how are you.
Not working up ((there)) anymore.
My choice after the wife passed away.
You would be surprised who all they fired and let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I couldn't imagine Worth not having a garden. Glad to hear the news.

On the Okra start, I have done it once (Long ago ). I just planted the seeds in small pots and put then in the cold frame to keep them warm. I am not sure exactly how long it took but I remember being surprised as I was expecting them to take long time. This time I will try both soaking method and direct sowing in pot, in cold frame.

Now that I have sown my corn, bean, cukes, melons , its time for okra.
I have 3 varieties : NONE is Clemson Spineless Those stuff got so tough before you could say 'AH'
BTW. I see some corn and cuke sprouts emerging.
I saw a pile of corn coming up the other day just sprouting in the fields.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.

Last edited by Worth1; March 30, 2017 at 11:03 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #13
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,987
Default

I didn't get started planting today. I got called away to go catch some fish.

On the way there, I noticed pecan trees are growing their green fuzzy stuff before leaves. I'm wondering if Pecan trees have leafed out in your area Worth?
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I didn't get started planting today. I got called away to go catch some fish.

On the way there, I noticed pecan trees are growing their green fuzzy stuff before leaves. I'm wondering if Pecan trees have leafed out in your area Worth?
I didn't plant anything today either. We went to Wilmington, NC foe shopping.

In my area pecans are bare. Almost every other three is leafing. I recall that black walnut was the last tree to leaf back in Atlanta, GA.
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017   #15
AKmark
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Posts: 1,593
Default

My Dad is sick of AK winters, he is in Texas right now looking for a winter home. You guys may have to make some room for some northern, pale skinned, cold footed, Alaskans. The wife and I are sick of it too, we are going to see what the parents think during their scouting mission.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★