Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2017   #61
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Marglobe

My father-in-law, who is 98, remembers this tomato growing in south Arkansas when he was a child. 5-24-17

So far I have harvested Sun Gold, Sweet Chelsea, Czech Bush, Carmello, Marglobe, and Cherokee Purple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0524171351.jpg (224.2 KB, 214 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #62
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Wow, some good haul pics. I won't see that until mid July. I do have a dozen micros out
on the deck i grew during the winter. Been out for a month and lots of flowers and a
dozen cherries every week on two plants.
All in pots.

I thought the Fall season crop was to take clones of your favorites from suckers, pot up
and put them in the shade for a while until the weathers cools a bit. No need to start
another round of seed. That way you just clone your healthy favorites.

I plan to pot up some micros i can keep growing until the first frost, then they will be
ready to easily bring inside for the winter.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #63
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My experience with Marianna's Peace has been mixed. The first year they were magnificent producers and had a bountiful set of fruit but since then they have been hit and miss. Some years they will produce like that and others I will see far fewer fruits. Another thing they seem to be very inconsistent as to size from year to year. I have gradually cut my numbers down to now only planting one or two a year because I have found more reliable varieties that I like better.

This will be a year of few large fruits I think. The reason is that most of my plants have set far more fruit per plant than usual which I can only attribute to the late spring cool nights that lasted far longer than normal. Last night got down to 57 which is a very rare occurrence this time of the year. I do have a few large fruits but not as many as I usually have and I don't think I'll have any of those rare 2 pounders this year but you never know. What I do have is huge numbers of fruit on clusters causing me no end of trouble trying to give them support so they don't rip off the plant before they can ripen. I also have way too many clusters hanging down onto the mulch where I'm sure to lose some to slugs and other bugs. What an awful thing to have to deal with.

My second set out of plants is already starting to set some fruit and if this nice weather remains it could be a very good season. I can remember thinking the same things in the past only to be awoken from my daydream by the unexpected vagaries of growing tomatoes so my fingers remain crossed for the time being. I am looking closely for the culprit whether disease, pest or weather that will ruin this happy feeling.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #64
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

We just had bruschetta using a large Better Boy and a nice EPB. As someone else from Texas pointed out, not much rain so far and this has helped the flavor. Everything I slice looks juicy and tastes great.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #65
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am getting few other beefsteak ripe one.
In this picture :
In the back: SFT, Mystery
Front : Ananas Noire, Brown Heart.

I picked them a bit early, to beat the birds and Other possible critters.

So it is just the beginning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May-24.jpg (69.0 KB, 197 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #66
00mimi00
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
My experience with Marianna's Peace has been mixed. The first year they were magnificent producers and had a bountiful set of fruit but since then they have been hit and miss. Some years they will produce like that and others I will see far fewer fruits. Another thing they seem to be very inconsistent as to size from year to year. I have gradually cut my numbers down to now only planting one or two a year because I have found more reliable varieties that I like better.

This will be a year of few large fruits I think. The reason is that most of my plants have set far more fruit per plant than usual which I can only attribute to the late spring cool nights that lasted far longer than normal. Last night got down to 57 which is a very rare occurrence this time of the year. I do have a few large fruits but not as many as I usually have and I don't think I'll have any of those rare 2 pounders this year but you never know. What I do have is huge numbers of fruit on clusters causing me no end of trouble trying to give them support so they don't rip off the plant before they can ripen. I also have way too many clusters hanging down onto the mulch where I'm sure to lose some to slugs and other bugs. What an awful thing to have to deal with.

My second set out of plants is already starting to set some fruit and if this nice weather remains it could be a very good season. I can remember thinking the same things in the past only to be awoken from my daydream by the unexpected vagaries of growing tomatoes so my fingers remain crossed for the time being. I am looking closely for the culprit whether disease, pest or weather that will ruin this happy feeling.

Bill
That's interesting. Feedback I'll tuck away. Update from last Tuesday...got a least a dozen small tomatoes growing on the MP now. I took the oldest tomato off since it was starting to crack and then I dropped it on the ground.Damaged it some more, but it's fine. Its been on my sill ripening for a couple days and it won't be long now before I get to eat it. It is very pink, slight tinge green but the shoulders are still green. A day more, I think.

The fruit set is much better, but am not sure I will get very large fruits. I thought the tomato was about pound but I was way off. It's around 10 oz.
00mimi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #67
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rumor View Post
After 70 days I have gotten the following results, nothing is ripe yet.
Tomato......................... # of toms...........................# of trusses
Big Beef...............................12 large to small................6
Eva Purple Ball.....................12 medium....................... 5
Better Boy.............................8 large to small................ 4
Prudens Purple......................8 large to small.................5
Daniel Burson........................5 large..............................3
Gregori's Altai.........................3 large.............................2
Neves AZ Red..........................2 large............................1
Chapman................................2 small............................2 (set fruit late)
Marianna's Peace.....................4 small............................3 (set fruit late)
I have harvested all of the above except Prudens Purple and Chapman, they are taking forever to ripen. And the squirrels got all of the Marianna's Peace.

Most of the plants are now starting to set new fruit, which I am happy to see since they completely stopped setting fruit for about a month.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #68
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Fruit set from today, 5-30-17
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fruit Set Chart 5-13-17.pdf (255.9 KB, 23 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #69
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any near ripe. A few cherry tomatoes with green fruit. Out of my big tomatoes, Bull's Heart from TGS is leading the show. Has about 10 or so tomatoes forming. It is right next to Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart, Blackberry, and Girl Girls Weird Thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #70
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
It has been a great year so far. Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, Kosovo, Wes, Rutgers, Kelloggs West Virginia (thanks to Container Ted....wonderful tomato), Opalaka, Stump, Dona
How do Kosovo and Wes compare? I grow Wes every year and I'm trying Donskoi this year for comparison.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #71
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
How do Kosovo and Wes compare? I grow Wes every year and I'm trying Donskoi this year for comparison.
Just my opinion but Donskoi blows the other hearts out of the water when it comes to taste and juiciness and as far as size it can get really big. I much prefer Kosovo to Wes because for me Wes is just too dry and bland but it is a tomato machine so if you want a good one for making sauce it really fills the pot fast and doesn't need as much cooking down.

Bill
Old June 1, 2017   #72
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My top producer so far is Limbaugh's Legacy although four others have produced just as many fruits. The five fruits I have gotten off LL have all been very large being just over or under a pound apiece. Brandywine Cowlicks and Sudduths have each given me five tomatoes with several being over a pound. I just started picking them a bit over a week ago and now more of them are ripening at a faster pace so things are looking pretty good on the BLT front.

Bill
Old June 1, 2017   #73
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Looks like it's going to be a good year so far.This time however I am determined to protect all my plants from pests,for fungal,viral and bacterial diseases-they're on their own.

Can you guess what varieties they are?
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #74
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Happy Dance! My first tomato is ripe in Virginia. And the winner is . . . Sungold.

Not much of a meal but it was a nice taste of summer!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #75
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I am getting some major fruit set in the last few days. In just 4 days, my large DLH plant went from 5 tomatoes set to 21! I have noticed that with this variety, there is a delay from the time the ovary is fertilized to the point that it begins to swell into a fruit. Other varieties are doing this as well. Early Girl, Sgt. Pepper's, and Post Office Spoonful are examples of the opposite behavior- there is no delay and fruit swelling starts even before the yellow petals fall off of the blossom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fruit Set 6-3-17.jpg (44.3 KB, 101 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant production