Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2017   #1
Nematode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,523
Default Products we are happy with (good finds)

Found these coir cubes, I don't start seed in them but they are the first transplant.
About $0.30 each by the case at my local greenhouse supply.
They work great, and give plants enough room until I can get them outside. They are about 4" square.

http://fibredust.com/grow-cubes/
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™
 
Rockporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 2,981
Default

This makes quick work of scooping soil. I love this thing and want to add another to my supplies.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...p?cm_vc=-10005
__________________
In the spring
at the end of the day
you should smell like dirt

~Margaret Atwood~


Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,270
Default

The cup and drinking glass.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,990
Default

My black 100' water hose that does not kink.

I have been known to cuss at a kinked water hose before
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,525
Default

My new find this year is tomato clips.
Although usually they are used for stringing , but you can use them with stakes and trellis too.
@ 10 cents a piece , they are worth it. Don't forget, they are reusable.
Another use : supporting some heavy truss of tomatoes.
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #6
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™
 
jtjmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Williamsburg Zone 7b
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
My new find this year is tomato clips.
Although usually they are used for stringing , but you can use them with stakes and trellis too.
@ 10 cents a piece , they are worth it. Don't forget, they are reusable.
Another use : supporting some heavy truss of tomatoes.
Gardeneer:

I love using the clips this year too!

If you ever get near Buffalo Junction VA on the North Carolina border (or you want to pay shipping) Berry Hill Irrigation sells large quantities for just over a penny a piece.

I finally got work out that way and stopped by. It's just a large metal warehouse with really nice people.

http://www.berryhilldrip.com/MG23-To...-Trellis..html

I clip everything now!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
This makes quick work of scooping soil. I love this thing and want to add another to my supplies.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...p?cm_vc=-10005
I have several similar trowels. I bought a store brand at Menards but it was discontinued. Then I bought Fiskars Big Grip Trowel from Home Depot. Rock solid for several years. Gone from HD, but available to order on Amazon.

I also bought a scoop from Bond. This had welds that attached the scoop to the handle. Melted like butter when I applied the slightest force when digging. Make sure you examine the construction before making a buying mistake like I did. The connection between the handle and scoop should be a solid piece, not welded together.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 1,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Found these coir cubes, I don't start seed in them but they are the first transplant.
About $0.30 each by the case at my local greenhouse supply.
They work great, and give plants enough room until I can get them outside. They are about 4" square.

http://fibredust.com/grow-cubes/
Great find, Nematode. Keeps the fungus gnats uninterested which is the primary advantage of coir over peat for me. How deep does the brick get? I usually finish up with a plastic pot 5.5 in depth. I may transition to 1/2 gal grow bags next year. Tried two as an experiment and really like them.

They were around a dime from Paradigm Gardens hydro store here in the Big O..

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™
 
Rockporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas Coastal Bend
Posts: 2,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I have several similar trowels. I bought a store brand at Menards but it was discontinued. Then I bought Fiskars Big Grip Trowel from Home Depot. Rock solid for several years. Gone from HD, but available to order on Amazon.

I also bought a scoop from Bond. This had welds that attached the scoop to the handle. Melted like butter when I applied the slightest force when digging. Make sure you examine the construction before making a buying mistake like I did. The connection between the handle and scoop should be a solid piece, not welded together.

- Lisa
You'll just have to see the quality of the product. I always look at the quality before I buy.
__________________
In the spring
at the end of the day
you should smell like dirt

~Margaret Atwood~


Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 1,509
Default

I am more cautious now for sure!

It really looked nice on the rack. I had no idea the welds were junk until I used it. Why make things that don't work! Turned me off to that brand forever.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,270
Default

My Fiskars Big grip garden hand transplanter.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #12
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,990
Default

I had forgotten the free thing that comes in handy - I started saving the lidded plastic containers strawberries and Campari tomatoes come in. They should work well for others to take home some cherry tomatoes in. After all, that's what they're made for.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #13
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: FL10B
Posts: 334
Default

Black Hen 2-3-2 chicken manure compost 20lbs bag I find locally for $11.

Dramm small and big water breaker nozzle.

Those fabric grow bags.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #14
Nematode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Great find, Nematode. Keeps the fungus gnats uninterested which is the primary advantage of coir over peat for me. How deep does the brick get? I usually finish up with a plastic pot 5.5 in depth. I may transition to 1/2 gal grow bags next year. Tried two as an experiment and really like them.

They were around a dime from Paradigm Gardens hydro store here in the Big O..

- Lisa
They are 1/2" thick as bought, and hydrate to maybe 3" or so thick.

I put them in a plastic gutter thats on a not level grade, and water from one end which keeps it easy.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Black Hen 2-3-2 chicken manure compost 20lbs bag I find locally for $11.

Dramm small and big water breaker nozzle.

Those fabric grow bags.
I don't know about the brand, I use the same type on a wand with a brass ball valve.
I don't like those dialing plastic things with a trigger. I want to water where it needs to be watered with a gentle shower but full flow.
It took me a long time here to find one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wand.jpg (29.9 KB, 439 views)
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★