Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 12 Hours Ago   #7816
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm not knocking people who eat it, I've seen dishes with it that looked good enough that I would try it.

Speaking of soy beans and burgers, did you see the report on burger places that use antibiotic beef?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...cs-report-card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg change-reaction.jpg (110.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 12 Hours Ago   #7817
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

yes, I am aware of the antibiotic controversy. Normally, when they make a story out of something like that; I assume it was a slow news day so they come up with a juicy controversy to upset folks. If an easy answer to the problem exists, they should also report on the answer. I'm not aware of any major burger chain that grows it's own cattle. They purchase their meat from the same processors as butcher shops and grocery stores. The processors purchase live cattle from ranchers in the same geographic area of the processing plant. The ranchers only have a few goals. The first goal is to raise young calves to marketable weight cattle as quickly as possible. Their food has growth hormones in it. The second goal is to not lose any animals to illness. Every animal that dies from a preventable disease reduces the profit margin. When you consider the fact that cattle are pretty fragile animals susceptible to many diseases and they sometimes need help as humans need help. They live in the high heat of summer. They live exposed to the coldest winters. They survive rain, hail, snow, and heat outside with no protection. They sometimes get sick and need treatment. A few burger chains contract directly with the ranchers to grow cattle without growth hormones and antibiotics and they are willing to pay more for the meat produced. The customers of the chain absorbs the extra cost of the meat they eat on their hamburger.

Last edited by DonDuck; 11 Hours Ago at 10:59 AM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Hours Ago   #7818
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I dont eat any soy products at all period zilch zero if I can help it.
No soy boy here.

You never season anything with soy sauce? I'm thinking of buying some soy bean burger patties to see how they taste. I haven't eaten any so I have no idea how it tastes. One of my favorite burgers is made with a giant. grilled portobello mushroom instead of meat. I don't always need to eat meat. I would love to grow my meat on vegetable farms instead of hog farms and cattle ranches if it tastes good.
Old 11 Hours Ago   #7819
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I've grown my own soybeans to eat shelled. So delicious! And I do love vanilla silk (soy milk) on breakfast cereal. I experimented with different varieties of tofu. Used to put it in casseroles w/o the family knowing it, sort of like ricotta. I'm not a huge fan but I don't mind a small amt of squares in the Thai dishes I get at the restaurants here.
Old 8 Hours Ago   #7820
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Lunch was a bowl of Ramen noodles with corn, green peas; and mushrooms. Seasoned with oregano and thyme. 3.5 minutes in the microwave, stir; and enjoy.

(In the microwave, cover the soup bowl with something to prevent the exploding peas from messing the microwave up)
Old 4 Hours Ago   #7821
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I have such an aversion to fat, bone, & gristle that I welcome tofu. Almost all ground meat and sausage, and even some chicken, has little bits of bone & gristle or chewy fat in it. Most people don't notice it; maybe I chew differently, but I can always find the Thing with the gross texture to it. Tofu is pure & trustworthy.

Equal parts of soft tofu and melted chocolate makes a yummy pudding.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #7822
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

My tastes are a bit all over the board, must be my Mediterranean bloodline. I can eat lentils and rice anytime. Lately I've been adding mashed soybeans to the mix. These are late planted beans I put in for the deer. Non GMO, not round-up ready, just field beans.

Saute a big onion and set aside. Cook lentils and rice until almost done. Add mashed beans, cook a short while then add onion. Fed this to my one year old grandson yesterday and he loved it.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago   #7823
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

To answer DonDucks question I have one bottle of what they call Dark Soy Sauce you wont find it in your local grocers for the most part.
The one I try to get is called Pearl River Bridge.
It is darker richer and stronger and has less salt.

Old 3 Hours Ago   #7824
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Dinner was Bruschetta made from dark rye baguette with fresh garden tomato, and fresh garden herbs including basil, mint, and onion tops minced. Covered in mozzarella and cooked under the broiler until slightly brown. After mincing the herbs, I marinated them with the tomato slices in a little sesame oil. It was very cheap because most of it came from my garden and the rye bread was given to me.

Last edited by DonDuck; 3 Hours Ago at 07:48 PM.
Old 2 Hours Ago   #7825
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I have such an aversion to fat, bone, & gristle that I welcome tofu. Almost all ground meat and sausage, and even some chicken, has little bits of bone & gristle or chewy fat in it. Most people don't notice it; maybe I chew differently, but I can always find the Thing with the gross texture to it. Tofu is pure & trustworthy.

Equal parts of soft tofu and melted chocolate makes a yummy pudding.

I like tofu as a base for many styles of cooking. It is almost tasteless on iit own, but it absorbs any flavor you desire.
Old 2 Hours Ago   #7826
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I got home so late tonight I am having frozen Stouffers Meat Lovers Lasagna a shower and off to bed.
Not healthy but what can a person do.