Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 3, 2009   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default A couple of ideas for MAGTAG

First: shall we try for a "greener" MAGTAG this year?

I usually collect all the glass and plastic bottles and aluminum cans (except Greg's homebrew bottles) after every MAGTAG event, but that's all that Baltimore County MD picks up. I know that other MD counties - Howard, where my dad lives, and some others - accept other items - aluminum foil, plastic cups, etc. Would anyone consider taking some of these home with them for recycling? I could provide boxes or some kind of containers for us to line with plastic bags, if needed.

A poster (I think it was on that OTHER website) - mentioned last year that we might try to use recycled and/or biodegradable plates, napkins, etc. Note that this person didn't offer to supply any of these things, (I admit to being a little peeved at that), although the suggestion was valid. I think the price of these items is probably a bit prohibitive, but if anybody wants to bring such products along, that's great.

My husband Dave has donated 36 reusable, washable plastic plates, so we're bringing them along this year. I've also been collecting those plastic trays that frozen meals come in and throwing them in the dishwasher - they would be good for pasta salads and the like.

Of course, good ol' paper is still probably best for slicing the tomatoes for tasting.

And, as in past years, any extra unopened equipment and supplies will be used at next year's MAGTAG.

It's not like any leftover tomatoes go to waste, though - last year Bluekat let us take all her extras, and LynnT "recycled" all the extra cut-up toms into sauce!

Any ideas on how to be a little more earth-friendly this year?

Second: I realize that many folks follow various diets for health or medical reasons. Heck, I should be back on Weight Watchers myself by the time MAGTAG comes around.

Usually, since we're dealing with tomatoes, there are enough vegetarian, vegan, low-fat, and low-carb dishes to go around. But if you would enjoy something particular - like grilled veggie burgers or Smartdogs, please consider bringing some. Last year I had to use up my entire supply of Boca Burgers because my vegetarian brother didn't supply any food that his kids would eat (although my sis-in-law did make a delicious veggie dish that they wouldn't touch!).

Comments, anyone?
Old July 4, 2009   #2
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

I have a comment - EXCELLENT ideas Cecilia! Frederick county take all kinds of recycling in a mixed container so I can take the non trash recycling home with me. I also have some plastic plates I can bring (only 6 though).

I propose a No Styrofoam MAGTAG!

Don't you love brothers Sounds like something mine would do. LOL

What other supplies are needed this year?

-Kim
Old July 5, 2009   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Reuse is hard to beat but that does require some cleaning (time, energy and resources). The bottles I use for home brew will be the same we used last year and from many years in the past. I fill a trash can with bleachy water and let them sit for a few days.

On the other hand, I would be very wary of products that cost more and claim special benifits because key to using less resources is USING LESS RESOURCES :-)

Paper products, by their very nature are renewable and biodegradable. There is no need to go much further on that in terms of potential outlays of $$$ in my opinion.

The 16oz red-plastic cups are hard to replace cheaply. I can get 150 for $10. They are cheap and perform well and if they can be recycled all the better.

Greg

Last edited by gflynn; July 6, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old July 5, 2009   #4
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

What about bringing your own plastic cup/tumbler from home if you can? Another bonus you will always know which one is yours!

-Kim
Old July 5, 2009   #5
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Good points, Greg. I'm wary of paying more for those kinds of products, too, when the various county facilities can take care of the cheaper products anyway. BTW - Those red plastic cups CAN be recycled in some counties. I'm pretty sure that Howard takes them - I'll have to check with my Dad or brother.

Kim, I agree that styrofoam is EVIL stuff. Here in Balmer, Merlin, the natives pronounce it "starfame". A couple of years ago, my company participated in a cleanup day along the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River only a mile or two from SW Area Park. The marshes were just full of styrofoam cups and remains of styrofoam coolers, presumably from tailgate parties at the Ravens' stadium. Mud, sludge, and styrofoam cemented together to form new solid strata that you could actually walk onto from the shore! I could see remnants of plastic bags that were actually degrading - in strips, interestingly - but that "starfame" looked like it could last forever!

Still, we have some styrofoam cups and plates leftover from last year that I'd like to use up. Wonder if any county recycles it? If not, at least when we throw it out, it will end up in a landfill and not in the river.

Honestly, I think we do a pretty good job of handling MAGTAG refuse responsibly right now; I just posted to see if we can do even better without causing too much more cost or effort.
Old July 6, 2009   #6
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Kim,

I could bring my own cup, however, we used cups for many things including holding pennies. Again if there were a paper alternative that may not be bad but the price of the plastic is hard to beat.

I use the plastic cups yearly to distribute tomato seedlings. I can write on them with a permenent marker and they stand up to rain. This year I distributed 700 seedlings. Now I just wish my tomatoes succeeded!

Greg