Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 23, 2018   #1
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Default Goliath Giant Early Bush Hybrid Tomato VFFN...

OK, who grew it, what were your results, and how close was it to the advertised 49 days? Please post your results, pics, weight, comments, etc.

Thanks.
MaterMark
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
OK, who grew it, what were your results, and how close was it to the advertised 49 days? Please post your results, pics, weight, comments, etc.

Thanks.
MaterMark
Mark, I gave up on the whole series of Goliath ones many years ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Goli...&bih=815&dpr=1

Wayne Hilton,in his new incarnation is offering many of them in his Seeds n Such Catalog. I can't remember if he has a website,you can Google that.

Carolyn
Old December 26, 2018   #3
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mark, I gave up on the whole series of Goliath ones many years ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Goli...&bih=815&dpr=1

Wayne Hilton,in his new incarnation is offering many of them in his Seeds n Such Catalog. I can't remember if he has a website,you can Google that.

Carolyn
I bought a lot of seeds from Seeds N Such last season to get the lower price rate, including flowers & other veggies. I did buy that 49 day variety in the thread title but didn't grow it. I had poor germination on his triplesweet corn, and some other things. I worried when I saw it was Wayne... He still uses the past to promote some being of righteousness... "Back when I owned RH Shumway..." or "...my Totally Tomatoes days..." Also, his FREE EARLYBIRD SEEDS or whatever he called them were a joke, I think the packs had like 5 seeds! Even some of the other veggies were small qtys.

As for the Goliath Giant Early Bush VFFN, I'm curious to see a) if they were anywhere near 49 days, and b) if they were large tomatoes, which is the first things that come to mind when you hear/read "Goliath Giant." His description said "... at 14 to 20-oz., as big as ‘Big Beef’..."
Old December 25, 2018   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago, I grew Goliath and Goliath Bush next to each other. I couldn't tell them apart. They ripened behind Early Girl. I would guess the dtm to be close to 60. They were not awful, but were more firm than I like.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018   #5
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
A few years ago, I grew Goliath and Goliath Bush next to each other. I couldn't tell them apart. They ripened behind Early Girl. I would guess the dtm to be close to 60. They were not awful, but were more firm than I like.
Thanks Cole_Robbie. Is Goliath Bush the same as Goliath Giant Early Bush? I thought this was different.

49 days. We’ve all heard it: early tomatoes aren’t very big and bush tomatoes aren’t productive. But ‘Goliath Giant Early Bush’ refutes all these myths! The first new member of the ‘Goliath Series’ I’ve introduced since my Totally Tomatoes days, new ‘Giant Early Bush’ is a week earlier than abiding favorite ‘Early Girl’ and at 14 to 20-oz., as big as ‘Big Beef’, our most popular tomato overall. The taste? That classic, old fashioned tomato flavor that’s both tart and tangy. Technically a semi-determinate with a spread of only 28-in. and a height of 48-in. that’s ideal for the garden or large pots. Requires support due to the weight of the fruits.
Old December 26, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Mark, considering where you are in Buffalo, NY,I think you should look at a new one that's just been released.

It is called Buffalo Bomber F1 and here are the specs.

mid to late season, RL, semi-indet, large red fruits up to one lb, can take the winds that are near you on that very big lake near you, taste is outstanding, when a specific summer allows for that and when grown right. And best of all you can buy seeds for an OP version,which of course would be less expensive.

So give it a thought or two.

Did I leave anything out of my description above that you might want to know?

Carolyn
Old December 27, 2018   #7
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mark, considering where you are in Buffalo, NY,I think you should look at a new one that's just been released.

It is called Buffalo Bomber F1 and here are the specs.

mid to late season, RL, semi-indet, large red fruits up to one lb, can take the winds that are near you on that very big lake near you, taste is outstanding, when a specific summer allows for that and when grown right. And best of all you can buy seeds for an OP version,which of course would be less expensive.

So give it a thought or two.

Did I leave anything out of my description above that you might want to know?

Carolyn
I never heard of it, but in the last few days I thought I read about a replacement for an old greenhouse variety called "Buffalo" but I can't recall where. I checked Wayne's SnS but I couldn't find it there. He's selling "Buffalosteak Hybrid VFNT" though. Who released it?
Old December 26, 2018   #8
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew some last year alongside Early Girl, they were last to ripen but not by much. They were the first to die off too.

I think I posted pics about that somewhere, here it is, look at post 16 & 19.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...+Hybrid&page=2
Old December 27, 2018   #9
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I grew some last year alongside Early Girl, they were last to ripen but not by much. They were the first to die off too.

Thanks. How big were the fruits?
Old December 27, 2018   #10
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Thanks. How big were the fruits?
I don't remember them much bigger than the pics but I did have a dry season.

Thanks Gg!
Old December 27, 2018   #11
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post

Nice pics!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018   #12
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I grew Goliath Giant Early Bush & Big League (supposedly 47 days) this year. After 65 days neither was full-sized, let alone blushing.

Would not recommend either.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #13
JoParrott

I grew Early Goliath Giant Bush last year--it was a big flop ! I didn't keep track of DTM, but it was nowhere close to 49 days! The fruit were terrible- most had white pulp inside--I give up on Goliath altogether. I ordered some Big League seeds a few days ago- nyrfan, so you had no luck with it-?
Old January 2, 2019   #14
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

In addition to being much, much later than advertised, Big League's fruit was smaller than expected (only around 8 ounces) & matured in very wet weather. So, most were lost to blight or some other disease.

Varieties that performed better included Alice's Dream, Beefmaster, Great White, Great White Blues, Lucid Gem & Moldovan Green.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Mark has asked me to post that he may not be able to post in this thread until possibly next Monday.

No,not a computer problem at all,rather something to do with something malfunctioning in his home near in Buffalo, NYS and trying to get someone to fix it.

Carolyn