Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2006   #1
Spider
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Tomato Cross Pollination

What is spacing requirement (in and between row) for growing caged tomatoes to insure or minimize cross pollination if one does not use the bagging method?
Spider
Old February 19, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Spider,

No specific guidelines can be given since the frequency of cross pollination can differ widely in different locations due to presence and numbers of insect pollinators, the weather as to in flight or not, and also b'c weather can influence, for a specific variety, if the stigma is exerted, or not, and a few, but not many of our domesticated tomato varieties do have exerted stigmas.

All that being said, I use to grow my tomatoes in rows about 250 feet long, and plants within the rows were 3-4 ft apart and the rows were 5 feet apart. My plants were sprawled, not caged, b'c I was usually growing about 700-1000 plants/season.

My X pollination (f) was about 5%, meaning that from seed saved from 100 varieties I could expect about 5 to be X pollinated.

I was willing to accept that b'c bagging blossoms was not possible and nor was using larger geographic isolation.

I will say that 5% is low and figures for NCP ( natural cross pollination) can range from 0 to upwards of 30% depending on many of the factors I mentioned above.

It's hard for me to give links b'c I have to go from AOL where my fave list is, to here, where I'm on IE, but one great article on X pollination can be found if you go to SESE ( Southern Exposure Seed Exchange) and look at the article written by Dr. Jeff McCormack, the former owner of SESE.

I do think his suggested isolation distances are way too conservative based on my results, but as I said, NCP can vary widely, not only from one place to another, but also from season to season.

Hope that helps.
Old February 19, 2006   #3
Spider
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Spacing-

Carolyn! I probably am within your growing guidelines as I am 4 foot in row and five foot between rows. Sure appreciate your expertise and would hate to think about bagging some 250 plus varities. Thanks for saving a sinking ship! Looking forward to reading article mentioned........
Spider