Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2014   #76
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just picked my first two Donskoi tomatoes off a graft onto Multifort and they were really big and the plant is very healthy with at least 8 more greenies growing on it. So far two rootstock have been very successful with Donskoi on them, Tasti-Lee and Multifort. I have had slow and poor fruit set on the graft with Red Mountain as the rootstock but the plant looks very healthy. Donskoi is famous for being stingy so it is great to find two rootstock that seem to up the fruit set on the plant. It is far and away my favorite heart and is almost always in my top five for flavor. Most other hearts don't make it into the top 20 except for Anna Russian and Fish Lake Oxheart.

I had no luck with my AR grafts but I do have a FLO grafted onto a Tasti-Lee and it is producing well but the fruits are way below normal in size. I'm going to have to find a better rootstock for it or settle for half size fruit from it.

BHN- 640 has shown itself to be a great rootstock for JD's Special C Tex and Tarasenko-6. Both grafts are very productive plants and the T-6 is putting out some very big tomatoes.

The two very best looking plants with terrific fruit set and good size are Tasti-Lee / Barlow Jap graft and Multifort / Limbaugh's Legacy graft. Both plants are monsters with good size fruit from top to bottom so they are going to be definite repeats next year.

I started trying to graft for fall this afternoon but my seedlings are a mess. I had them outside when the 2 inches of rain fell and they got really messed up. They are all beat down and twisted with some rather spindly stems so I don't know how successful I will be grafting these seedlings that are already in bad shape.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #77
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

So far so good for me with the Charger F1 rootstock using several different varieties for scion. No evidence of fusarium or other root diseases. I don't have a good self grafted control comparison though for fruit production/quality. I'm just happy that they survived.

I've gotten pretty good at grafting using any of the methods here. Cleft grafting is my favorite. Works well in the stent technique too.

I just set some plants out for a potential fall crop on this rootstock.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #78
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Chris, I used Charger for some of my grafts in the spring and some more for fall. The fall grafts are now out hardening off. My results using Charger are not as impressive as some other varieties of rootstock from my spring grafts. Most of the plants were a bit on the small and spindly side and the fruit from them was smaller than normal for that particular scion. I'm hoping the fall ones will do better because it could have just been the combinations not being ideal. I will post my final observations on this years grafting sometime this fall when the total results will be clearer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #79
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I don't have any side by side comparisons. I would not say the varieties I have on them now are at all spindly. I have Carbon, Lincoln Adams, Green Zebra, Beauty King and a couple of others I cant remember off the top of my head. They are all very nice looking at the moment.

The New Big Dwarf, JPO and Ozark Sunrise I have from the spring set are also very robust plants. The JPO and OS are not in the best locations so their production is not fantastic.

Next year everything is grafted now that I've got a good success rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Chris, I used Charger for some of my grafts in the spring and some more for fall. The fall grafts are now out hardening off. My results using Charger are not as impressive as some other varieties of rootstock from my spring grafts. Most of the plants were a bit on the small and spindly side and the fruit from them was smaller than normal for that particular scion. I'm hoping the fall ones will do better because it could have just been the combinations not being ideal. I will post my final observations on this years grafting sometime this fall when the total results will be clearer.

Bill

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #80
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I am glad to read some good news as regretfully all I have is bad news.
I ended up with just two grafts, lots of problems trying DE as a starting agent!
I had one Costoluso Genoverse and one Martino Roma grafted to Beaufort, plus one of each un-grafted. Disaster!!
Both grafted plants are a waste, not resistant to the wilts, both drought and disease. The plants have all wilted as if they hadn't been grafted at all. The only plant which seems to be capable of producing is the un-grafted Roma.
Fortunately I planted a row of grow bags, so I will get some Roma for processing. The Costoluso are not for grow bags, they wilt too easily and are not producing much at all, whereas the ones in the green house produced well until the heat hit them.
No more wasting time trying to graft, back to grow bags for me.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote