Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2014   #1
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Default Need something earlier

Over the past few years, I've been converting over from store-bought flats of tomatoes to growing from seeds. The results have been terrific. This year is the first that I've grown from all seeds, and I have a great looking crop coming in, but they're still all very green. I plant the seeds in mid-March and move them to the garden in mid-May.

I used to buy Early Girls in flats, and by now I'd be harvesting tomatoes. I planted "New Girls" from Johnny's Seeds, thinking they'd have a similar ripening schedule, but they're as green as everything else, and I'm getting impatient.

For future years, can anyone suggest a variety that ripens early so I have something to eat by now?
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #2
Rachel W
Tomatovillian™

I participated in the seed trade here and my only request was for the early tomatoes as i live a half hour north of Seattle. I have had two tomatoes so far and both have come from Latah. They weren't very big but i didn't care! Right now i have a tomato that is almost ready from my Beaverlodge slicer. As a comparison, other plants that i have include sub arctic plenty, silvery fir tree, Clackamas blueberry, green zebra, both red and yellow currant, early Russian, stupice (volunteer), anna Russian, bloody butcher, early girl (my only store bought plant). I have many more but those are off the top of my head. Good luck!
Rachel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sure can!

A friend started some tomatoes for me in February! A tad too early, I thought, but I certainly didn't mind eating them in mid-June!

These were small plants which could be grown in containers that I could haul in and out, according to the weather.

Jagodka and Early Annie are red cherry toms which I think are tasty.

I planted Russian Cherry and Pipo on April 1, and we've been eating RC for a few days. Still waiting for Pipo. These are also growing in 3 gallon containers.

For in the ground, there is Stupice, Matina, Sophie's Choice, Bloody Butcher, Kimberley, Chadwick and several more varieties.

Sungold is early too, but it's a hybrid so we cannot save seeds.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

Morovsky Div and Maya & Sions Airdrie Classic are two early varieties that taste great and produce very well.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'll second Moravsky Div as an early. It sets well reliably even in a cool spring, and the taste and texture is decent. Peacevine cherry is as early as MDiv and even tastier, but it may not be as tolerant of cool weather.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #6
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Ok, sounds like I should put Moravsky Div on my list. I think I'd like to get Bloody Butcher as well, just to see the looks on my friends' faces when I tell them what I'm giving them.

Thanks everyone for the good tips!
Old July 22, 2014   #7
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

I planted out tomatoes on May 11 and had first tomato on July 4 (Sungold). I also planted out Stupice (a close cousin of Moravsky Div or may be even the same thing) on May 11 and had first ripe tomato on July 11th. So far I have had 60+ Sungolds and only 6 stupice tomatoes.
I am also looking for an early tomato that is 3-4 oz. and hoping to get it by June 15 ..
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #8
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

For a large (huge!) pink heart that is as early for me as Stupice, Pink Honey is darn nice. My first three from one plant have all been over a pound, up to a pound an a half. The flavor is on the mild side, but after a long winter, it tastes just fine.
Old July 22, 2014   #9
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

Matina was always the first to ripen for me every year I grew it, usually by about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. It's about the same size as Early Girl with better flavor. It is a huge producer. I hate to admit it, but it's one of those tomatoes you can grow tired of when it overwhelms you with ripe fruit. I guess it's the zucchini of the tomato world.
Old July 22, 2014   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I suggest trying as many "very early" varieties as you have room for. Many of these varieties have mixed results as far as people rating them for flavor.

Also, starting one or more of them as early as possible, and transplanting as early as possible will help for an earlier harvest. A very early transplant could mean total failure if a hard frost happens, so it's best to try no more than a few plants.

I (meaning other enablers) will likely be one source of very early varieties later in the year. There are also several seed sellers to support here at T'ville, too.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #11
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget about the released dwarves from the Dwarf Tomato Project! Some are very early like Iditarod Red and Arctic Rose.

I'll second Maya & Sion's Airdrie Classic. I grow that one every year and it's always around 60 days or so and it's large enough to slice. Mine didn't get planted until early June this year, so it's been in ground for 48 days and has at least 10 fairly large greenies on it.

If you like cherries, Russian Mini Yellow is wonderful and very early as well, and I really enjoy Ambrosia Gold. Two cherries that are new to me this year that were very early are Black Opal (at least as good as black cherry and no cracking, 56 days) and Amethyst Cream (really fantastic flavor and only 55 days).

I agree many ultra-early tomatoes just don't taste very good. I have stopped growing some because it's just not worth it. You might want to try putting a few plants out in Walls O' Water. They really work for me. I usually can't plant out until late May or early June, but with the WOWs I plant out in mid-April, and I can plant varieties that I actually like. It doesn't always work, not every variety likes this method, and every year I get a few new to me varieties that just don't thrive. I've got a list of those that do work in WOWs (for me, at least) that I grow every year. And, I have some tomatoes starting in mid-June to early July depending on when I can get them going. It's also a way to grow late-season varieties when I otherwise couldn't.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The earliest ripe tomato in my yard this year was from an F2 seedling of a cross I made last year but that doesn't count...yet If I can stabilize an early delicious slicer I will have the holy grail of Canadian tomatoes.

the first ripe tomato I ate from a well known plant was bloody butcher followed by amethyst jewel.
I am always happy to have an early tomato but the big midseason hearts and beefsteaks are well worth waiting for.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #13
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Default Zone 3a with no greenhouse...

Here are the earlies which have grown well for me in our tomato unfriendly environment.

Kalinka, Glacier, Siberian, Early Treat F1, Fourth of July F1, Moravsky Div, Stupice
Independence Day, Kimberley, Polbig F1, Early Girl F1, Matina, Juliet F1, Moskvich, Sun Gold F1.

I am trying Ultimate Opener F1, Matt's Wild Cherry and Maya & Sion’s Airdrie Classic this season. So far, none of them are stellar performers.

Recommend you stay away from tasteless "Sub Arctic" varieties, and Manitoba as well.

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #14
enchant
Tomatovillian™

No one mentions the seed source for any of the varieties mentioned, so can I assume that a Kalinka is a Kalinka, whether it's from Johnny's Seeds, or Victory Seeds or Walmart?

I haven't been involved in the seed trading community yet, so that might be something I might try next season.
Old July 23, 2014   #15
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchant View Post
No one mentions the seed source for any of the varieties mentioned, so can I assume that a Kalinka is a Kalinka, whether it's from Johnny's Seeds, or Victory Seeds or Walmart?

I haven't been involved in the seed trading community yet, so that might be something I might try next season.

For the open pollinated varieties, search for them by name on tatianastomatobase.com. Once you have the "General Info" page for the variety up, click on the "Seed Avalability" tab and it'll show you a list of vendors that carry that variety. I usually start with a list of varieties I want, then I use Tania's site to try and find one or two vendors that carry all or most of them.

And yes, reputable seed vendors will not randomly change a variety's name so what you can buy from one should be the same if bought somewhere else.

Happy shopping!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote