Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2016   #16
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the links! I have to put my head down and work this morning but I will revisit this evening and see if I can get more information.

Marianne has not replied.

I used to sow many more at a time, but this year I am planting one each of many varieties, earlier. I usually give away extras but I don't have as many people willing to take them this early.

It's ironic you suggest starting more seeds because on another thread on another site that shall not be named, last year I was shamed and finger wagged for being wasteful in my seed starting for routinely starting 5-6 of each variety.

All things considered, this year I decided to scale down to three seeds each of 24 varieties. And of course, the first thing that happened was the coir fiasco stressed my first round of potting up, causing me to lose two plants each of two varieties. The second thing was this stray PL plant.

Can't win for losing!

Last edited by JosephineRose; March 30, 2016 at 01:49 PM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #17
kath
Tomatovillian™

I grew Brandywine, Heart-Shaped from Marianna in 2011 and 2012 and the plants were all RL.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #18
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Thank you for the links! I have to put my head down and work this morning but I will revisit this evening and see if I can get more information.

Marianne has not replied.

I used to sow many more at a time, but this year I am planting one each of many varieties, earlier. I usually give away extras but I don't have as many people willing to take them this early.

It's ironic you suggest starting more seeds because on another thread on another site that shall not be named, last year I was shamed and finger wagged for being wasteful in my seed starting for routinely starting 5-6 of each variety.

All things considered, this year I decided to scale down to three seeds each of 24 varieties. And of course, the first thing that happened was the coir fiasco stressed my first round of potting up, causing me to lose two plants each of two varieties. The second thing was this stray PL plant.

Can't win for losing!

My view is that you should start whatever number of seeds you think is best for you -- and it's certainly not appropriate for anyone to grouse at you for whatever you choose to start -- certainly starting five or six seeds of a variety isn't excessive. Many people start quite a few more than that of a variety, and then eliminate -- by pruning, gifting, sale, or whatever -- all but the best, which they plant.

Don't let anyone kid you . . . you're clearly a winner!

JLJ <~~~ Not good at culling extras . . . has, oh, perhaps a hundred extra Zolotoe Serdtse seedlings -- had a fruit I was saving for seed, didn't get seeds processed when planned, finally cut open fruit to get a few seeds and found them sprouting, hadn't the heart to just throw them out, so put them in a pot . . . from the evidence, all but perhaps two of them decided to grow into plants.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #19
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I grew Brandywine, Heart-Shaped from Marianna in 2011 and 2012 and the plants were all RL.
Thanks Kath!

I find this to be a happy accident, whatever my mystery PL seedling is.
Old March 30, 2016   #20
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
My view is that you should start whatever number of seeds you think is best for you -- and it's certainly not appropriate for anyone to grouse at you for whatever you choose to start -- certainly starting five or six seeds of a variety isn't excessive. Many people start quite a few more than that of a variety, and then eliminate -- by pruning, gifting, sale, or whatever -- all but the best, which they plant.

Don't let anyone kid you . . . you're clearly a winner!

JLJ <~~~ Not good at culling extras . . . has, oh, perhaps a hundred extra Zolotoe Serdtse seedlings -- had a fruit I was saving for seed, didn't get seeds processed when planned, finally cut open fruit to get a few seeds and found them sprouting, hadn't the heart to just throw them out, so put them in a pot . . . from the evidence, all but perhaps two of them decided to grow into plants.
Oops on the Serdste!

I'm glad to finally be amongst like-minded people who agree with my time-proven method of starting extra seeds just in case, and finding happy homes for the rest.
Old March 30, 2016   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Kath!

I find this to be a happy accident, whatever my mystery PL seedling is.
You're welcome! I feel the same way about my PL Early Annie.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

JLJ, when you speak of grousing you are referring to me,so I shall respond.

Many here know that with my seed offers I have sent out only 6-7 seed/variety for ones produced the past summer,and more seeds depending on the seed age. And so few seeds since it then allows for more to participate.

I have been doing seed offers for several decades now,so do have probably more experience than many others.

I tell all to sow all seeds sent and not sandbag any and that's b'c if they plant just a few,sandbagging them and not growing out and seed saving and sharing with others,which is what my seed offers have been all about,there are always problems.

Folks who are new at sowing seeds and don't always use the pehaps best methods for doing so,folks who cook their seeds under domes,folks who use towels or coffee filt ers and put them in sealed baggies where it's warm and mold destroys the seeds. And that b/c the number of ambient mold spores is never known,so results can vary from year to year re the incidenceof mold

I could go on and on here, but won 't, all I'm saying is that more is best when sowing seeds to help avoid the many pitfalls that can lead to loss of seeds.

Carolyn
Old March 31, 2016   #23
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
JLJ, when you speak of grousing you are referring to me,so I shall respond. . .
Carolyn! Am not doing no sech thing! And you really had oughta know better than to think that I would be referring to you as a grousing entity.

Grousing parties referenced below

Quote:
. . . on another site that shall not be named, last year I was shamed and finger wagged for being wasteful in my seed starting for routinely starting 5-6 of each variety . . .
Inappropriate grousing, absurd and downright foolish for them to fuss because JosephineRose wastefully starts five or six seeds and mislead her into limiting her planting to three seeds per variety. (Though to be momentarily serious, it's so absurd I'd wonder whether their grousing over her wasting seed by starting five or six might have been intended as humor.)

If you've been grousing at JosephineRose I hadn't noticed.
Old March 31, 2016   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Carolyn! Am not doing no sech thing! And you really had oughta know better than to think that I would be referring to you as a grousing entity.

Grousing parties referenced below

Inappropriate grousing, absurd and downright foolish for them to fuss because JosephineRose wastefully starts five or six seeds and mislead her into limiting her planting to three seeds per variety. (Though to be momentarily serious, it's so absurd I'd wonder whether their grousing over her wasting seed by starting five or six might have been intended as humor.)

If you've been grousing at JosephineRose I hadn't noticed.
Got it JLJ,I had misinterpreted your comment.

Carolyn
Old March 31, 2016   #25
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Got it JLJ,I had misinterpreted your comment.

Carolyn
Yep. If I was going to use an avian description for you, it would have to be one of the birds that diligently gathers small beautiful things from far and near and creatively redistributes them.

(Fuzzy little fermented tomato seeds *are* beautiful. )

Last edited by JLJ_; March 31, 2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old April 13, 2016   #26
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Well, my little mystery PL is planted out in an Earthbox today. I will bag blossoms when they come in.

Marianne said it should be RL, so if it comes up as a Brandywine Heart, she'd like seeds.
Old May 9, 2016   #27
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

And here is my not so little mystery PL plant today. I'm really pleased with how well all my tomatoes have been doing in the Earthboxes this year.

Last edited by JosephineRose; May 9, 2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old June 7, 2016   #28
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

The mystery plant is doing well. It is getting very large and has several megablossoms. The first fruit has set and is growing rather quickly.

Mystery PL plant on 6-7-16:

First fruit formed:

Second fruit forming (in the shadow):

So far, these don't look heart shaped.