Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2017   #1
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Default Macedonia Tomato

I have 1 plant from seeds that were smuggled out of Macedonia, that are throwing some weird pointed tomatoes, almost looks like they have tails. Anyone seen tomatoes like this before?

pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

That second picture looks like some of the lopsided fruit on one of my Orange Minsk Heart plants, so I'd guess that you might have some sort of heart variety.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I have 1 plant from seeds that were smuggled out of Macedonia, that are throwing some weird pointed tomatoes, almost looks like they have tails. Anyone seen tomatoes like this before?

Yes I have seen such a fruit form, can happen due to weather and you might see different fruit forms on a single plant as well depending on what the weather was like when they started forming fruits.

But why smuggled out of Macedonia,and I ask since I have a good friend George ,a Tville member as well,who lives on the Western Slope in CO and he has a friend,I think named Steve,who has traveled in Macedonia freely and brought back some seeds for me that he sent me, yes,I think his name is Steve Neumann,

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...donia+tomatoes

I think you'll see two of them listed in the 2010 or 2011 seed listings above.

Carolyn
Old July 26, 2017   #4
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes I have seen such a fruit form, can happen due to weather and you might see different fruit forms on a single plant as well depending on what the weather was like when they started forming fruits.

But why smuggled out of Macedonia,and I ask since I have a good friend George ,a Tville member as well,who lives on the Western Slope in CO and he has a friend,I think named Steve,who has traveled in Macedonia freely and brought back some seeds for me that he sent me, yes,I think his name is Steve Neumann,

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...donia+tomatoes

I think you'll see two of them listed in the 2010 or 2011 seed listings above.

Carolyn

He said he was given a hard time at customs trying to bring tomatoes back, so he scraped out the seeds, hid them and brought the seeds back. He has since been growing them for years.
Old July 27, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He said he was given a hard time at customs trying to bring tomatoes back, so he scraped out the seeds, hid them and brought the seeds back. He has since been growing them for years.
If he ever runs into customs problems again or thinks he might, tell him what others have done, and that's to address a letter to himself back home and put some seeds under the stamp(s)

It works.

Carolyn
Old July 27, 2017   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If he ever runs into customs problems again or thinks he might, tell him what others have done, and that's to address a letter to himself back home and put some seeds under the stamp(s)

It works.

Carolyn

LOL! Nice tip!
Old July 27, 2017   #7
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to chase down another tomato I've been hearing about around here, it's called Yonks.
A family has been growing them for 3 generations, supposedly they came from an old Italian gentleman that lived in Chicago. Yonks to me sounds like something from New York.
Old July 27, 2017   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, our smuggler!!!

imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm trying to chase down another tomato I've been hearing about around here, it's called Yonks.
A family has been growing them for 3 generations, supposedly they came from an old Italian gentleman that lived in Chicago. Yonks to me sounds like something from New York.
After Googling a bit this is all I know about a tomato called Yonks.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.sY0LKRSW2nM

Carolyn