Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 31, 2013   #1
elight
Tomatovillian™

Default Floating flag problems

I've attempted for the past two years to make the "floating flags" that Raybo describes at the end of the EarthTainer guide. My flags, however, never seem to float. I use a cork from a wine bottle and a straightened-out section of coat hanger. it seems that they usually just sink to the bottom.

Any thoughts for what I might be doing wrong? Is the coat hanger too heavy--is there a better type of wire to use? Or are not all corks built equally? Has anyone come up with any alternative solutions to visually monitor the water level?
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Try to find a Champagne cork. Also use a lighter weight metal shaft. Land / irrigation markers sold at Hardware stores come to mind.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #3
elight
Tomatovillian™

Excellent ideas on both. I'll give them a shot this weekend!
Old May 31, 2013   #4
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Ooh, irrigation markers sound like a good idea. I used what I had on hand: gardening wire. It worked and was easy to cut, but it was a pain to straighten-out to the point where it floated properly without dragging against the pipe. Next time I'm at Lowes I'm looking for those irrigation markers.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2013   #5
elight
Tomatovillian™

Home Depot and Lowe's both carry 10-packs of irrigation/sprinkler flags for about $2. In both cases, they are only 15", however. I need at least 21" to get from the bottom to the top of my fill tube. Anyone have any suggestions for other places locally I might be able to find these?
Old June 1, 2013   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

If you can't find longer ones, you could take 2 sections and "braid" them together 1 inch from each end, then cut off the excess wire.

Raybo
Old June 1, 2013   #7
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering if one of these would work - a Driveway marker or a threaded rod.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blazer-In...specifications

http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-32-x-36...4#.UapbJ5wQPgU

You could cut the fiberglass rod in half, if you were only needing something that was 21 inches long.

I wonder if the threaded rod would be lighter or heavier than the gardening wire you were using.

You could also go try your local hobby or craft store. I managed to find a 1/4 inch by 36 inch square wooden dowel for 79 cents.

Last edited by ArthurDent004; June 1, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2013   #8
elight
Tomatovillian™

I guess it comes down to a question of weight. The fiberglass rod is listed at 5.28 oz. (.33 lbs), and the threaded rod at about 2.8 oz. The section of coat hanger that I'm currently using (unsuccessfully) weighs in at 0.4 oz according to my digital kitchen scale. So I unfortunately don't think these will be the answer to this problem, if weight is the ultimate concern. =(
Old June 3, 2013   #9
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear that. The wood dowel I mentioned weighs 0.85 ounces so I guess that wouldn't work for you either.

Have you considered using a round cork ball such as these

http://www.widgetco.com/cork-balls-premium-xxxx

or multiple inline corks or fishing floats?
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #10
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

You can use drinking straws.

1. Buy several beverages from your favorite fast food joint and collect several plastic straws. Split the end about an inch, overlap and glue end to end. Drill a hole in your cork and attach.

2. Drink some more beverages and get more straws. Glue together as above. Put the ends in a food sealer and seal. Use the straw as your flag.

Enjoy
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I think Arthur might be onto something with inline corks.
A coat hanger would probably work - 2 possibly 3 corks, with holes drilled through the middle.

Raybo's braiding idea would work well too. But then you have buy something... other than wine......
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

A 1 inch diameter styrofoam ball would support the mass of the coat hanger section. I would just form one end of the wire into a tight spiral to screw into the styrofoam ball, to keep it in place.

Raybo
Old June 5, 2013   #13
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

A simple float valve mounted into a 3 gl bucket, setting next to your SIP, will keep the water level in your SIP constant thruout the growing system.

All items are available at local stores in your area, or can be ordered on-line.

And they are EZ to build, it's not Rocket Science.

By the way, multiple SIP's can be hooked together, from the one control valve buchet.

Terry Layman
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2013   #14
Havman
Tomatovillian™

Can u tell me what this is? Is it for the garden and purpose? Maybe a picture. I must have missed it in the forum.
Thanks, Jim
Havman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2013   #15
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Default Who are you asking about????

Are asking about my valve bucket control?

Terry
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote