Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 1, 2012   #76
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Thanx for clearing this all up,I have this page on my favorites on puter.You should be working for pro-mix to help redesign thier site caus the thing is confusing.I applaud your dedication to the cause!
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012   #77
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Babice, thanks for all the info. I would think Horticultural Perlite is a better grade than the one just labeled Perlite. And yes, you should work for Promix, designing them a new user friendly website.
Chrissy, you grew up in a very beautiful part of WI. Maybe we sort of had the opposite experience, I think. I grew up in a very populated area and my first teaching job was in a very small WI town, "Up North". You went from a smaller town to one that is much larger. Now I am in a Milwaukee burb.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012   #78
babice
Tomatovillian™

LOL! I wuz wondrin' if anyone was gonna think I DO work for them and that this is some evil plot Yes, I felt like a complete geek for spending that much time doing that yesterday but I knew my tville friends would understand! Now what I want to do is get the percentages in there as I can get them. I can see now, though, why the BX is so prefered (for earthboxes and SWC) and the BX with mycorrhizae sounds even better!

Not that Pro-Mix is the only brand to go with but this is a thread about them. The stores in my area definetly have other stuff. But I personally want to try Pro-Mix this year because I'm a newbie and I don't have any experience to compare others by. So I want to start off with something that I've seen highly recommended and then eventually I can do comparisons in the future.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012   #79
babice
Tomatovillian™

added their Potting & Container Mix to that info with the percent perlite that the company gave to elight:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
... I called Pro-Mix and finally spoke with someone who was able to tell me that the Potting & Container Mix (retail blue bag) contains 12% perlite...
Old May 2, 2012   #80
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Nice work babice! You might want to send your post with all the data to Mischka when you finish it and see if he will make it a give a sticky in the container section.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012   #81
babice
Tomatovillian™

Anybody have info you can share that is on your bag or the bale wrapping? I added stuff that is on the bags of Ultimate Organic I bought.

p.s. still don't have an answer from Menards as to whether they can get the BX for me so I'm using the UO. I talked to the soil-guy at Menards yesterday and told him I still want to know if I can get it because I'd like to buy it and use it in the future.
Old May 10, 2012   #82
irukasgirl
Tomatovillian™

Indoor-outdoor hydroponics (in Milpitas, CA) sells the 3 C.f. bales of Sunshine Adv #4 for 35.00 and 3.8 Cf of Sunshine mix#4 for 30.00. I was there yesterday, and the people there were very helpful, despite the yelp reviews saying otherwise.

Also, I decided I wanted to start an Earthtainer too late in the year, and now I have to buy my tomato plants. Does anyone know where I can find a good selection to tomato plants in the San Jose area? I'm mainly looking for Green Zebra, and Sungold at the moment, but I may be tempted to expand beyond that/
Thanks.

Last edited by irukasgirl; May 10, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Clarified location.
irukasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012   #83
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
I have used the FFOcean's Forest and it was very good too. The price on the Promix Veggie & Herb is considerably cheaper around here, but maybe FFOF has more nutrients. Let us know how you like the FFOF...I use and like their other products. I use FFLight Warrior as my germinating mix and am very happy with it.
I potted up Aunt Molly, eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes a week ago last Tuesday in the Ocean Forest and the last couple of days I have noticed they have taken off like mad. So far I am very happy with it.

I set up containers this year ala earthtainer style with mixing the lime and instead of using a fert strip I mixed in the veggie tone. My broccoli, spinach, kale and lettuce are growing so fast. It may be the weather but I am loving the Pro mix organic. We can't cut the lettuce, spinach and kale fast enough.

My winter sown jugs with the organic promix look as good as anything at the garden centers. I have to start planting this week because they are getting so big.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote