Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 28, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Burpee....suspicious on some of their tomato names...

Of course, only Burpee knows for sure -

but doesn't tomato Italian Ice sound suspiciously like Dr. Carolyn....or, perhaps, Snow White Cherry? And how creative - chill a bowlful for a satisfying cool snack (hence the link with "Ice")...clever marketing, no doubt...and that price! 4.65 for 30 seeds.

Anyone ever saved and regrown seed from Black Pearl to see if it is indeed a hybrid, or just a renaming of Black Cherry (an OP, of course)?

And we have Yellow Magic....looks pretty much like Yellow Stuffer, a pretty common OP....again, 4.95 for 30 seeds?

What's the term - caveat emptor???
Old December 28, 2007   #2
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

Good point! The DNA typing system may work!

Kent & Kathy
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2007   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I agree Craig, I thought the VERY same thing. Snow White was my guess.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2007   #4
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I was saying to myself last night reading seed cats that I wished they would all use the same name for the variety. I grow a white cherry and get two kinds of cherries , white and a larger pale yellow one. Nice one. I read some where white cherry is not stable. ?? I can call the yellow one anything I want, right?. Can't buy seed for it, so I save. I am wondering on some if Hybrid is not just part of the name. Like lemon Boy Hybrid. I am wondering if they have not bred out some of the hybrids.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2007   #5
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I refuse to buy anything from Burpee...their prices are ridiculous and their marketing of tomatoes should be criminal.

There are just too many good seed companies out there to give this place any business.
Old December 30, 2007   #6
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I thought the same thing when I looked at it last night! I was also amused by the Red Lightning blurb. "A vast improvement on Red Zebra, an heirloom from which it was derived." I remember reading the complaints on GW about it when Burpee first offered it 2 years ago, and I don't think I've read a good review yet.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2007   #7
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I hate to buy the new Super tomatoes from Burpee and then find that I can get some of them for a $1.59 or so at Wallymart. I want to grow that Italian Ice to compare with Super Snow White. Has anyone seen the seed display at WallyMart yet? I checked a couple around West Houston and the displays were still cartoned up in the plant area?

MikeInCypress
Old December 30, 2007   #8
Luvgardening2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
I thought the same thing when I looked at it last night! I was also amused by the Red Lightning blurb. "A vast improvement on Red Zebra, an heirloom from which it was derived." I remember reading the complaints on GW about it when Burpee first offered it 2 years ago, and I don't think I've read a good review yet.
Remy
I got suckered into Burpee's Marketing and purchased Red Lightning last spring. It was .

Nancy
Luvgardening2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007   #9
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i used to like burpee. they might have been the very first gardening catalog i ever received. things sure have changed. their prices are excessive. their plant descriptions seem to be over the top. if something is good, it shouldn't be that hard to sell. on the plus side, they have a nice looking catalog. thats about all i'll be doing with it this year, just looking.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2007   #10
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Burpee is rapidly spending down the good will they built up in years gone by as the country's premier home gardening catalog. I've heard a number of people comment, "Oh, Burpee. My folks always ordered from them when I was a kid" and the warm-and-fuzzies would be flying all over the place. Now, the name is the same but otherwise,.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2008   #11
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

I always grow Brandyboy and last year grew Porterhouse which was one of my better hybrids. I buy at Wal Mart if they seeds are there and if not order. I've had great luck with their seeds. I have heard they rename and that might be the case. But still better than Field's , Gurney's and some other catalog vendors in my opinion.
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2008   #12
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Went by one of the local Wallyworlds today and the Burpee Seeds were out. Not much in the way of Tomatoes, They did have Little Brandywine and a Heirloom Mixture. They also had a mixture of their new hot varieties, Italian Ice, Tangerine Mama, Golden Mama, Razzle Dazzle, and Honey Bunch Currant. All for $1.50. Seeds are not marked.

Now I don't know how to ID seeds from size so to get the Italian Ice you have to grow all eighteen, I would assume The Mamas are determinate and the Currants will have small fine leaves. Does any one know if Razzle Dazzle is potato leafed?

MikeInCypress
Old July 27, 2008   #13
alaska
Tomatovillian™

oh dear, total tomato newbie that I am I bought the italian ice from burpee...its growing like a monster and is setting blooms as we speak. I grew from seed, started them the same time I started my rutgers and the italian ice is at least a foot taller and has two sets of blooms already. Since I'm in Alaska I grow indoors, we'll see how this one does.
Also since I'm in Alaska, burpee is one of very few seed sellers that will actually ship to me without charging me a surcharge...it doesn't actually cost any extra to ship here USPS, so I boycott anybody who even suggests it.
The IIC is the only hybrid I ordered from burpee. I tried to stay away from them but the description and pics were just too enticing.
alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2008   #14
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Welcome, alaska! I actually find very few seed companies that do add a surcharge for shipping seeds (only) to Alaska. You might look at Tomato Growers Supply.

www.tomatogrowers.com

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2008   #15
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I guess Burpee is the only company that I refuse to business with in the future. About 9-10 years ago when I first started growing heirloom varieties almost exclusively, I ordered some Cherokee Purple plants from Burpee. My friend Reverend Dr. Preacher Fred and I were going to split the order. When my plants arrived, they were a week late and completely DOA. Even if they weren't, they would have been unusable. The plants were 6-7 inches tall (when they were alive, of course) and were growing in tiny cells. The kicker was that they were growing three or four plants to a cell and were completely rootbound. It would not have been possible to separate them and have undamaged plants. To their credit, they didn't hassle me about a refund and my money was refunded the same day. I have grown Burpee's Tabletalk from a seed trade since then and was pleased with it. I won't, however, be giving them my hardearned dollars anymore.

I have had good experiences with many seed companies, despite inconsistency in naming and some tomato illiteracy on their part; such as claiming that a tomato is low-acid or is a hybrid heirloom.

Here are the companies that I have had a positive experience with:

Tomato Growers' Supply
Marianna's Heirloom Seeds
Weeks' Seeds
Botanical Interests
Victory Seeds
Johnny's Select Seeds
heirloomtomatoes.com aka The Tomato Patch
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote