Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 19, 2006   #1
Andrew_GA
Tomatovillian™

Default Got moles, you want some?

I have moles in my yard, possibly more than one, I have not seen any mounds yet though. There are many extensive raised tunnels in my yard. these are not small holes dug by a chipmunk. We are already spreading castor oil. Does anyone have any other tips for getting rid of these little buggers?
Old June 20, 2006   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

good luck!

when this problem appeared i read extensively on the internet. consistantly i read the same remedies as working and as NOT working.

i came to the conclusion that traps are effect - dead moles don't tunnel!
i have not been successful tho, imo anyway. i bought a harpoon trap. initially i caught a MONSTER no lie it was 4 times the size of a normal mole - MOLEZILLA! after that success, it got real spotty. in ct the ground is 85% stone so these traps don't penetrate the soil well. to overcome that i dug out the spot, removed the stones and sadly somehow they managed to either get by the trap or trigger it yet not get hit. i did trap about 2-3 more.

i switched to the garden as i remeoved a ton of stone. in that soil the spears on the trap easily penetrate the soil, sadly i did not trap 1! then i switched to mouse traps at the exit holes (moles do come out) and trapped at least 4 or 5. success!

moles will leave when there's no grubs or worms left to eat.

3 weeks ago the crap started again for this season. i id'ed an active tunnel, dug out the stone and in 2 days caught the %$#@*&! thing! success! the problem (building a nest i hope there were babies in it, they'd strave fast, tho it did not appear to be a female, no ★★★★ to feed young) that 1 was causing stopped. i now see another new active tunnel so the trap is there.

good luck. read to understand their behavior (active vs feeding tunneling) how to use a harpoon trap and try mouse traps if you see holes. i put a 5 gallon pail weighted with a rock to prevent dogs or cats (no kids) from getting into the mouse trap.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2006   #3
miniedmo
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if it works or not but an old man told me that he filled the tunnels with juicy fruit gum. They supposedly love the stuff and it will stop up their digestive system. Like I say I have never tried this!!
miniedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2006   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I have also heard to use moth balls, but haven't done it myself. Our property is too big to wage war ... when I'm out on the rider & they skitter through the grass I race like hell to run them down!
Old June 25, 2006   #5
Andrew_GA
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks

Thankyou everyone for your insight. I will try trapping them. The Castor oil seems to be doing a fairly decent job of making them leave the immediate earea but not getting rid of them.