Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 11, 2016   #76
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

heirloomtomaguy, are those the summer suns?

sjamesNorway, how much mgso4 you using? Assuming you add them manually and not fertigate (even fertigate would give me a rough idea).
I already started seeing some signs even though I just started having 1-2 tiny tomatoes (Crnkovic also the culprit, since I removed Aunt gertie from the growout). I added quite a bit, I have a feeling I'm just feeding them with magnesium at this point.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #77
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the links Nematode, there were some tidbits in there that I thought were interesting, one was the runoff amount per time of the day. I also noticed they were running a really low pH, but that may be required for coco media. I am going to ask someone in the loop that I know about that.
Thanks for adding to the thread, plant management is all about producing tomatoes, not just growing them.
Mark in AK
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #78
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Interesting too that they feed a little bit throughout the day.
I did that last year. Pump came on for 3 minutes every two hours.
I got away from that this year and just run it for 10-12 minutes in the morning.
Also noted that they start at 2 hours after sunrise.
I had been starting at daybreak around 630.
Lastly, interesting that they end at 4 because they don't want the media very wet going into the night to prevent splitting tomatoes.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #79
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Thanks for the links Nematode, there were some tidbits in there that I thought were interesting, one was the runoff amount per time of the day. I also noticed they were running a really low pH, but that may be required for coco media. I am going to ask someone in the loop that I know about that.
Thanks for adding to the thread, plant management is all about producing tomatoes, not just growing them.
Mark in AK
Low ph is for Iron availability with EDTA Chelation. Everris uses edta and the plants are iron starved even at 5.6.

Chem grow uses a superior DTPA which is available at higher ph.

My chem gro arrived today will start feeding it monday.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2016   #80
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Interesting too that they feed a little bit throughout the day.
I did that last year. Pump came on for 3 minutes every two hours.
I got away from that this year and just run it for 10-12 minutes in the morning.
Also noted that they start at 2 hours after sunrise.
I had been starting at daybreak around 630.
Lastly, interesting that they end at 4 because they don't want the media very wet going into the night to prevent splitting tomatoes.
I think the reason to shoot for 10% drying at night is to aerate the root zone, and steer generative.
I noticed your watering regime and thought you might be better off with.a.couple mid day waterings rather than morning and evening. No actual experience here just book learnin.
Old June 11, 2016   #81
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure if steering has large role in a normal summer situation.
The plants are vegetative in spring, cooler temps, lots of water, low competition, low ec (wet) this is necessary to get some size on the plants so they can support fruit.
As spring turns to summer there is a drying out (higher ec) and temperature increase.
This pushes the plants generative. It is the natural way. Most of us are working with the seasons and the plants know what to do. I will use some of the techniques to tinker with my plants, but have so few that it is difficult to know if I am doing harm or good.

I would think this gets much trickier and more important when trying to keep a tomato productive over a 6-10 month stretch with varying light available.
Old June 11, 2016   #82
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Fruit production is indeed driven by length of day, heat, EC, and management of the actual plant itself. The worst culprit I have experienced with lack of fruit production is poor pruning. I grow my plants for about 8 months, and we have the most extreme light variation of most other places, we adjust our fertilizer to met these cycles, if it is good, and plants are managed, production is insane.
The best path to perfection is a leaf sample once a month, this will tell a grower exactly what they need to add or reduce.
Old June 11, 2016   #83
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
heirloomtomaguy, are those the summer suns.
No these are Esterina F1. So far its the most productive and best tasting tomato this year.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #84
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
heirloomtomaguy, are those the summer suns?

sjamesNorway, how much mgso4 you using? Assuming you add them manually and not fertigate (even fertigate would give me a rough idea).
I already started seeing some signs even though I just started having 1-2 tiny tomatoes (Crnkovic also the culprit, since I removed Aunt gertie from the growout). I added quite a bit, I have a feeling I'm just feeding them with magnesium at this point.
I started out with 1 tbs. epsom salt mixed in, in a 17 gallon container, and added 1 more on the top.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #85
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Nematode, nice links, I think this one is the most useful in regards to generative/vegetative (from same 'collection' basically): http://maxa.maf.govt.nz/sff/about-pr...growth-no5.pdf
What is interesting is that pretty much all that is generative are various stresses. I guess the first and easiest one is one stem pruning, which is definitely a stress.
I probably said this in another thread, but if you have problems setting flowers for some of the late varieties (not the case in this thread ) just top the tomato. They will set in no time, even in same conditions as before.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #86
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Another great link.
Had to look up the next article on EC and H2O management.
Good morning reading with my coffee!
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #87
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I will have some F7's of a Sudduth's mystery cross I would like to send to some of you guys to try. They are unbelievably good, 4-6 OZ , mid-late season, but the taste... oh my goodness. I have been working on it for four years, I have a red and pink version from segregating the line a few years back, taste is the same. I have the F6 going now, will have plenty of seed at the end of the season for next year.
Mark, I remember you mentioned the cross in a thread I started about varieties with old-fashioned taste, and I'll be keeping my eye out for your offer.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #88
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Steve, it is my favorite out of hundreds and hundreds I have grown. This year I have many of the classics to compare it with "again" side by side. Same story.
I am planning on saving a bunch of seed to pass around, but I need to name it??????
Old June 12, 2016   #89
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Mark's alaskan bonanza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmark View Post
steve, it is my favorite out of hundreds and hundreds i have grown. This year i have many of the classics to compare it with "again" side by side. Same story.
I am planning on saving a bunch of seed to pass around, but i need to name it??????
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #90
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Steve, it is my favorite out of hundreds and hundreds I have grown. This year I have many of the classics to compare it with "again" side by side. Same story.
I am planning on saving a bunch of seed to pass around, but I need to name it??????
Wasilla Thrilla