Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old July 28, 2008   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Hops??

Does anybody know anything about this plant as far as where it will grow?
In recent news I have learned that there is a hops shortage due to farmers growing corn for fuel.
There are many cultivars of this plant and I have found one place on a forum where someone just 15 miles north of me is growing hops for his beer.
I just thought I might get in on the ground level with this product as I have found hope has gone over the top as for as price is concerned.
They all laughed at me when I mentioned growing grapes for wine in Texas many years ago but look at it now.
Texas has some great wines.
I thought about olives in Texas and sure nuff this is something else they are starting to grow here.
What about hops?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2008   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

A shortage one year, can become a glut the next.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2008   #3
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Hops grow in Anchorage, AK. I bought my start at a home brewing store many years ago. There are different varieties of it for different types of beer but this particular store carried the cold weather ones. I didn't plant it in a good spot due to ignorance and it didn't survive that 1st winter but I have seen huge plants growing up on trellises (arbors?) on garden tours. I am sure it does better in a warmer, longer growing season.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2008   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Sue I had no idea hops would grow in Anchorage.
Maybe some gravy with the right hops in it would be good.

Gary I might just brew my own beer if there is a glut.
I would like to brew without having to go to a high priced Brew store.
When I was a small child I drank Beer made from potatoes.
That's right, I drank home made beer and wine with a meal when I was some thing like 9 or so.
Just one bottle though.

Worth
Old July 28, 2008   #5
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Hops grow in Wasilla too! Mine used to grow up to the raised deck and all along the railing. A couple years ago when we replaced the deck we relocated the hops. It's not doing as well in the new spot, but it's still alive.

Sue -- Unless you particularly wanted hops, if you just want a really nice, sturdy vine, you might try Arctic Beauty Kiwi. I find it to be easier to grow here.

EDIT: To clarify, both pictures are hops.

Last edited by Sherry_AK; July 28, 2008 at 06:51 PM.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2008   #6
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

I grow Bavarian hops for making my own beer. They could not be easier to grow. Just get a piece of root, stick in the soil in a sunny spot with something for it to climb on, and stand back. Mine are almost 20' tall.
Patapsco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2008   #7
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

Have you seen what they sell hops for? They sell by the ounce but by my calculation they would be around $35 to $40 a pound retail. I started 5 varieties this year and hope they will be bigger and more established next year.
Old August 4, 2008   #8
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Does anybody know anything about this plant as far as where it will grow?
In recent news I have learned that there is a hops shortage due to farmers growing corn for fuel.
There are many cultivars of this plant and I have found one place on a forum where someone just 15 miles north of me is growing hops for his beer.
I just thought I might get in on the ground level with this product as I have found hope has gone over the top as for as price is concerned.
They all laughed at me when I mentioned growing grapes for wine in Texas many years ago but look at it now.
Texas has some great wines.
I thought about olives in Texas and sure nuff this is something else they are starting to grow here.
What about hops?

Worth
Worth, I am on a few hop gardening boards; in the springtime there was a huge rush of folks sending off for all kinds of rhizomes to try out in their areas. There are plenty of people growing hops in Texas, some even as far south as Florida but there are varieties that do well in one spot that may not do well in others. I have been growing hops for more than 10 years in SoCal and we tend to prefer hoppy beers but we grow a variety of types.
Yes, the shortage will eventually result in a hop glut due to some hop growers extending their growing areas, and others will be hobbiests, like us growing and providing for our home brew clubs.
Good luck. I got more rhizomes this year from three different sources and homebrew heaven was some of the biggest and strongest of the rhizomes I got. I will be getting more varieties next year as my husband prefers other varieties of beer than I do.
Old August 8, 2008   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thank's Bobbi.

Worth
Old August 10, 2008   #10
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Can someone tell me if hops are frost hardy and are they an annual???
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2008   #11
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I grow them in Alaska, so yes they are frost hardy. (Well, I guess I'm not entirely sure what you mean. They will withstand a light frost I think, but they die back to the ground over winter and come up again in the Spring with new growth.) I'm in Zone 3. They are a perennial.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2008   #12
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Hops grow very well in Saskatchewan too (even in zone 2 which surrounds my city). I just post zone 3 because I grow in a town that is located in a valley. We have a King Maple growing in a sheltered spot in our back yard (it's rated for zone 5) so your growing location really makes a difference here.

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2008   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The spring here in Germany was dryer, sunnier than normal and the hops growers and beer breweries were sweating bullets for awhile anticipating an hops shortage which never materialized. Two things that make front page news is problems with the potato crops or hops crops. Ami
Old September 2, 2008   #14
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Hops are very cold hardy. The vines are annual and the roots are perennial. In other words, they die to the ground each winter and resprout in the spring. I had one for years but killed it with round up this spring as it didn't make very many "Hops". I supose it is due to our very hot summers.
gary
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #15
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Hi Worth. Just noticed this thread. Hops grow commercially in the Yakima Valley of eastern Washington state. (I was born in Yakima and spent some of my early years there. It is a desert area. Gets about 7 inches precipitation a year. Colder in the winters than Texas I assume and it does get some snow.) My dad told me once that the German brewers bought hops from Yakima growers when needed for their beers. This was years ago. My dad used to buy wine and I think beer for a retail store chain and knew a number of winery owners and some beer guys. I don't know if this is still true. I suspect it is to a limited extent. The Pacific Northwest is a hotbed of wineries and beer makers. Did you ever plant some hops?
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote