Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 3, 2010   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default softneck behavior

i'm not all that familiar with softnecks, this is the 1st year i grew a lot of them. for the past week some have been leaning like a small critter walked thru the bed pushing them out of it's way and i suspect that a small critter is climbing the fence as i see digging in the garlic and onion beds from time to time lately.

today it is worse, several plants are almost down on the ground. the ones that are more noticeably leaning don't have the bottom 1/2 of their leaves dying back which in hardnecks indicates it is time to dig them but the very bottom leaves are starting to lose the green color indicating they are starting to be ready. everything is early this year by 2 weeks and while i normally dig hardneck garlic in late july (7/20 to 7/28) and softnecks a week or 2 earlier iirc, so maybe the softnecks garlic is ready to dig.

so i pulled 3 plants that were virtually on the ground (too tight to dig these 3 with other plants around them) and they have good sized bulbs and appear to be ready for harvest despite these 3 and none of the other softnecks have the bottom 1/2 of their leaves drying out.

do you gauge softneck harvest time based upon them tipping vs the bottom 1/2 of the plant's leaves drying up as is the method with hardnecks? i have grown softnecks 2 other seasons but i had 12 or 24 plants and i can't recall them tipping. i do think that when i grew softnecks they were ready about 2 weeks ahead of the hardnecks. i want these for storage so i don't want them to burst the wrapper and reduce storage.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2010   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i just received a reply from wegrowgarlic, karen and mike.

Hi Tom,
Yes, when the softnecks flop over they are ready for harvest. (unless of course it's early in the year and you've just had a windstorm) Our softnecks have just started flopping here too so we'll be starting harvest either today or tomorrow. It seems that they do flop over before all the leaves start dying off so with the softnecks we've always used the flopping over as the indicator that they were ready rather than the leaves and indeed they have been. From what you are describing we'd say it's harvest time for your softnecks.

Hope you have a great harvest!
Karen and Mike

Eat more garlic and be sure to check out our crazy garlic hobby:
http://www.wegrowgarlic.com
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old July 3, 2010   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

another reply from karen and mike -

We remember wondering what the heck was going on the first year we grew the softnecks too. It's funny, it seems one day it will be upright and the next day it's flat on the ground....pretty wierd until you get used to it!
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon