Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 5, 2014   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Onion Experiment.

The other day I bought some large red onions at the store that were way strong.
So the three I have left went in the garden root side down onion on top and I will leave them there.

I also had a pile of red onions growing on I pile of garden soil that didn't go to seed this year so I moved them to the garden.

Then there was the odd and end onion laying around the yard I gathered them back up and planted them too.

If anything at least I will have something growing there.

Lets see how they turn out.

I know, I'm crazy and an idiot.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2014   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Nothing to lose so may as well try. Good luck.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2014   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Did that one year, but buried the onion. Next year I got some beautiful plants and lots of seed heads. This far south we can't grow the northern onions for the reasons you recently addressed elsewhere, but many keep buying the seed of sets. Perzackly why the Vidalia is actually the Texas Yellow Granex.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I figured it was a good way to store the onions over the winter and maybe but not likely the strong flavor will go away in the 3 big store bought ones.
I dont think it will because the sulfur is already in the onion.

All the hoopla about how to store onions and I found that letting them lay in the yard next to the garden was the best way here this year.
I gave away sooo many onions this year.
Stacks of them.

Worth
Old October 5, 2014   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Onions are biennials, you'll have tons of seed to share/save next early summer. Hmm, maybe a Worth onion seed trade event here

I did the same thing last year. In fall, I planted onions that started growing green shoots from my spring onions. Then other loved ones started donating their store bought onions and I planted them. This year, they grew into nice looking plants with seed pods. I gathered them and did the seed drying process. Who knows what varieties of seed I have? I labeled them by the color of the bulb of the onion the seed pod grew from.

I probably have over 1,000 seeds from red, white, and yellow onion varieties. I plan on planting half of those seeds as companion plants for my out of garden tomato plants. The other half, I'm going to grow as green onions.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just want green onion stalks to eat this winter as soon as they put out flowers I'm pulling them.
As for the 3 large onions Ill see what they taste like in the spring.
Onions can be an annual too if it gets cold hot cold and hot during one season.
They THINK it has been two years.

These things I grew where as sweet as any I have ever seen you could eat them like an apple.

So ((((NO))))) sulfur to increase acidity in the soil.

Worth
Old October 13, 2014   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Last winter I had a tub of leeks in the greenhouse, whenever I wanted some I cut it near the base instead of pulling, and most of them regrew from the stump. They were great all winter and didn't even care when the soil froze solid.
Then in early spring I took the 'stumps' and planted them pretty close together in a milk crate lined with old compost bags to hold the soil in, I had some fish heads and guts that went in near the bottom. The leeks grew up fine and strong and set flowers and finally seeds... they take FOR - EVER I may say for a short season, but still I did get a good set of pods and I cut those in the fall and bagged em, still waiting for them to dry.
Then to my surprise the old sticks of the cut flowers started to have shoots on the side, and before you know it I have a new crop of little leeks from these shoots and 'pearls' or little onion like balls which the new ones come from. Just planted those back into a tub in the greenhouse.
I not only got seeds and 'pearls', but a few of the flowers put on topsets too - little 'bulbils' in the flower head which I can also grow into more leeks....

All I can say about Alliums, they are morish, and they mean to make more of emselves, by all means.
I had some Hardy Evergreen and White Lisbons that didn't get eaten, and they are dividing and forming clumps as well....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2014   #8
matereater
Tomatovillian™

I always get onions and potatoes that pop up in my compost pile. I take them out and throw in the garden somewhere. The way I figure it, its free food !! cant beat that !

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote