Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 14, 2015   #136
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Ok more questions. . What do you mean by 'beat into a slurry'

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #137
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganado View Post
Ok more questions. . What do you mean by 'beat into a slurry'

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Cooked material hand blended into a mush or slurry to drinkable texture after straining. I use a hand held blender for ease of operation
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2015   #138
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
That next to last image Juice obtained made me wish for a virtual straw so I could yell "Drainage" like Daniel Day Lewis.

I imagine come wintertime it's a bug fighting elixir that tastes great.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #139
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Vegetable Juice

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...%20Juice/HTML/ 19 July 2015 Vegetable Juice
Twenty three liters of juice was made from current garden vegetables, kale, carrot, celery, beets, cucumbers, basil, dill. The carrots tops were incorporated. Process was to cut into small pieces, cook until soft, blend into a slurry, strain through a Victorio Food Mill, strain food mill residue through a Champion Juicer to obtain maximum nutrients. Water was added to just cover the vegetables in the cooking pot. The juice was placed in liter jars and pressure canned in batches of seven at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.
Old July 20, 2015   #140
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Gooseberry Juice

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...%20Juice/HTML/ 20 July 2015 Gooseberry Juice
Nine pounds of European gooseberries were picked from my one bush and processed into six liters of juice. A few American berries were picked and added.The berries were cooked until soft, then beat into a slurry, strained through a 2 mm mesh food mill, then placed in liter jars and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 Minutes for storage. They were picked because some started to fall off the bushes. Color change is minimal with this fruit,but they get sweet and a bit soft when ripe.

Last edited by Durgan; July 20, 2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old July 21, 2015   #141
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Nice! I don't think we could grow them here because of the high summer temperatures.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #142
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We had wild ones we picked from in Mo.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #143
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Wow, nine lb from one bush! I have a gooseberry bush and trying to propagate it. Mine barely produced anything, and i love gooseberries. Do you feed it anything special? or is it just a productive variety? Gooseberry juice - yum
Old July 23, 2015   #144
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrr_Luda View Post
Wow, nine lb from one bush! I have a gooseberry bush and trying to propagate it. Mine barely produced anything, and i love gooseberries. Do you feed it anything special? or is it just a productive variety? Gooseberry juice - yum
A frienhd who was moving gave me the bush about nine years ago and it keeps producing. The berries are large. I have another that didn't produce many fruit this year. The berries are much smaller.

The large berry type is called European but the true name I don't know. The smaller type is called American which I have encountered in other gardens. The large berry type is excellent since the berries are easy to pick.

A shoot will propagate well by keeping it wet in a pot until roots form. It takes about three years before the bush gets large and productive.

This was 2014 harvest.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ANQXT 28 July 2014 European Gooseberry Juicing.
Twenty pounds of European gooseberries were harvested from one bush and made into 12 liters of juice, and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.The only residue from the process was a few seeds, which were discarded. Annotated pictures depict the process. The berries were picked by raising the thorny fruiting stalk with a gloved hand and plucking the berries with the free hand.The thick output of the Champion Juicer will be used as a separate dessert.
Old July 23, 2015   #145
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the detailed gooseberry juicing info, my grandmother used to make it when I was a kid, ages ago. I realize now my gooseberry bush is still too young to produce, third year from an accidental seedling, most likely brought by a bird. I am sure it is not a European variety, it becomes pinkish when overripe. I stuck some cuttings into a self watering container to overwinter outdoors and a few of them rooted. Will do again this year. Your 2014 harvest was unbelievable! Good luck again next year
Old July 24, 2015   #146
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Blueberry Juicing

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...0Juicing/HTML/ 24 July 2015 Blueberry Juicing
Thirty four pounds of blueberries were picked from a grower and processed into twenty five liters of juice. The cost of berries was $2.25 per pound. Each liter of juice used 1.36 pounds of berries for a cost of about $3.00 per liter.Blueberries have almost no gross fiber so elaborate straining is not required. In fact, they could probably be beat into a slurry then canned. My berries were cooked, beat into a slurry, strained using a Victorio Juicer, pressured canned in liter jars at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage.Annotated pictures depict the process.
Old July 24, 2015   #147
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Why the pressure canning for blueberry juice, they are highly acidic?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #148
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

All my produce is pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. Never had any issues. Don't6 even contemplate water bath canning.
Old July 26, 2015   #149
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Carrot Cucumber Juicing

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...0Juicing/HTML/ 26 July 2015 Carrot Cucumber Juicing
Twenty six liters of juice was made from primarily carrots and cucumbers approximately 15 pounds of each. Additionally added was some basil, dill, and a few tomatoes. The carrot tops were also utilized. The cooked strained product was pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage. Annotated pictures depict the process.
Old July 27, 2015   #150
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing Ted!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote