Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 11, 2011   #1
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Default Dried Tomato are very sweet

I dried a bunch of tomatoes this summer and have been using them in recipes this fall. I have had sun dried tomatoes before and love them, but the ones I dried are extremely sweet. They almost taste like dried strawberries. Did I not taste this in the store bought ones because they were packed in oil? Or is it because I used different varieties and not just paste types? They seem to have lost all traces of acidity. Anyone else have this result?
Old November 11, 2011   #2
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I've only oven dried tomatoes. What variety did you dry?
Old November 11, 2011   #3
smileytom
Tomatovillian™

I dry a good bit of my tomatoes, especially badly misshapen, catfaced, or cracked ones. They do get a much sweeter flavor than the ones I have bought at the grocer before. I know there is a Tville member that grows only to dry them maybe he or she would be able to offer some info or advice!
smileytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011   #4
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I had about 16 different heirlooms, all shapes sizes and colors and I threw them all into my dehydrator.

Yes I have read brokenbar's post on the subject and have learned alot about drying but never heard this mentioned anywhere.
Old November 12, 2011   #5
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I dry some large cherries every year and they are like candy. I've also had fun drying tomatoes of different colors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wild Thyme to drier.jpg (302.8 KB, 46 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2011   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Dried tomatoes as a rule (at least to me, in my experience) are much sweeter than fresh tomatoes. My uncle dries many many pounds down in Florida in his screenporch. If you eat them plain, you'll taste very sweet, if you salt and season them in oil, they are less so, but I think you can still taste the sweetness, which is part of the appeal to me. That sweet salty taste!
Old November 12, 2011   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I think it is because the sugar is concentrated in the dried product. And of course, the sugar content varies from variety to variety. And as pointed out, when they are in herb/garlic oil, they would not taste nearly as sweet. I have found the hearts and other I grow specifically for drying are all more tangy than sweet when dried. Even then, any dried have some sugar because you will notice that they are slightly sticky when handling them.

As for acidity, my experience has been that any of the cherry varieties are "little bites of acid" when dried...You eat one, take two Rolaids, eat another
Here's a question...is any acid in a tomato totally concentrated in the final dried form? So if you eat a several slices of dried are you getting a honking big dose of acid? On average, most of us don't set down and just eat a whole tomato (and yes I know there are those of you who do but I am ignoring that in trying to make my point ) And I am further wondering if that is why tomato sauce gives some people terrible heartburn...concentrated acid in cooked-down sauce?

I don't eat them so I am not a good judge. I rely on my Family for feedback as to taste.
Old November 13, 2011   #8
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Here's a question...is any acid in a tomato totally concentrated in the final dried form?
This was what I was wondering because I don't taste the acid in the dried tomatoes. Is there something chemically that happens to them or is it just the concentration of sugar that masks the acid? Science anyone?
Old November 13, 2011   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I dried cherries and Principe Borghese tomatoes this year. The cherries were good eating tomatoes and ended up almost candy sweet when dried. The Principe Borghese were not good for eating fresh, but made excellent dried tomatoes with a good bite of acid that stands up well to olive oil. They were described as a traditional drying tomato which is the only reason why I decided to grow them, and I wasn't disappointed. So it might just all depend on the variety you start with??
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2011   #10
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Sweetness. No additional sugars formed, as far as I know. Just concentration of those already present in the tomato.

Acidity. Most common acids in tomators are citric and malic acids. They are stable to drying conditions and would not be expected to evaporate during drying. So the dried tomato should contain the same total amount of acid as the non-dried.

Taste buds are very sensitive to sweetness, and I expect the sugars in the tomato mask the acid in the dried tomato.

I often eat a whole raw tomato, usually with a little salt. When I make stewed tomatoes or sauce, I add a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. Without the sugar the cooked tomatoes seem quite acidic. I'm thinking cooking tomatoes (stewing or making sauce) ruptures cell membranes and makes more of the acids available to be noticed, thus the need (at least for me!) to add something to counter the acidity.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote