Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 11, 2011   #1
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers
Default Zuckertraube?

Does anyone know a source for Zuckertraube seeds? Tatiana's site shows no
sources in her listing.

Has anyone grown this cherry tomato? What is your opinion?

I have a daughter that teaches in Germany and I asked her to see if she can
find it, but doubt she will have time for a while. BTW, she is also getting
addicted to heirlooms.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Does anyone know a source for Zuckertraube seeds? Tatiana's site shows no
sources in her listing.

Has anyone grown this cherry tomato? What is your opinion?

I have a daughter that teaches in Germany and I asked her to see if she can
find it, but doubt she will have time for a while. BTW, she is also getting
addicted to heirlooms.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...f376b1a485e047

Above is a link for a general Google Search for this variety and you'll find many links as well as one from Tania's data base.

it appears that there are several places in the US where you can buy seeds and it's also been listed in the SSE YEarbook as Tania points out for this variety at her page for Zuckertraube.

I didn't check the individual links other than Tania's but if you do I'm sure you won't have to go the Germany to get seeds for it. And now I even forgot to look and see if Tania listed some seed sites, but I don't think so, but please do check.
Old November 11, 2011   #3
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Thanks, Carolyn. I did find a source using Google. Tatiana site showed no
soureces for this seed and, sadly, I must confess that I don't really understand the whole SSE Yearbook seed thingy.

Have you ever grown Zuckertraube? I will await opinions before ordering it.
I recall on an old thread, you advised someone (re: Kosovo), don't go by the
thread headings (for popularity), go by how often it appears on people's
grow lists. I don't recall seeing Zucker on many of those. LOL
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Thanks, Carolyn. I did find a source using Google. Tatiana site showed no
soureces for this seed and, sadly, I must confess that I don't really understand the whole SSE Yearbook seed thingy.

Have you ever grown Zuckertraube? I will await opinions before ordering it.
I recall on an old thread, you advised someone (re: Kosovo), don't go by the
thread headings (for popularity), go by how often it appears on people's
grow lists. I don't recall seeing Zucker on many of those. LOL
No, I've never grown Zuckertraube and didn't even know it existed for I've never seen it mentioned at any of the several message sites I've participated in over the years.

Two folks currently list it in the 2011 SSE Yearbook.

There are several threads here about what SSE is, what the YEarbook is, how to become a member, the difference between a listed and unlited member, but I don'/t have time right now to dredge up those threads. perhaps you can find them.

And if you have any other SSE membership questions I'd be glad to answer as would the many other SSE members who are here at Tville.

The annuaI yearbook is not a place to trade seeds or to indicate wants. Each listed member lists what they have in the approprirate section of the YEarbook, describes tha variety as they grew it and usually indicates their seed source.

At the front of the Yearbook the listed members are listed by State and Foreign country and the member gives contact information and also indicates what the request price for seeds is.

There are about 4,000 tomato varieties listed. And the YEarbook is not the same as the PUBLIC SSE catalog/website where anyone can order seeds, which is not true for the YEarbook b'c only SSE members have that access.

There's also an online version of each Yearbook which can be accessed with a password that SSE members are given, as I recall. I don't deal with the online version myself, but do ask that when I submit my listings for the next Yearbook they be included in the paper Yearbook as well as uploaded to the online version.When I read the YEarbook I want a paper copy to curl up with when the snow flies, I don't want to sit here and stare at a computer monitor.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...iw=757&bih=403

Above is a general Google search for SSE but I see that in addition to the main site of seedsavers.org they've broken it out so you can click directly to membership.

If it were me I'd go to the main site first and then navigate around until you find the info you're looking for.

Finally, I don't think that SSE is for everyone. i think that folks whould have some experience in growing tomatoes, b'c that's what we're talking about here, and have grow many of the mroe common ones. Most folks use the YEarbook to find lesser known varieties. Also, you cant assume that ALL the seeds you request will be pure, some bag blossoms, some don't, so no 100% guarantees.

Finally and lastly, the Yearbook was set up to be a mechanism used for preservation of OP varieties of all sorts of crops and was predicated on the expectation that folks requesting seeds would relist them.

That was true when Craig L and I first joined, I think he in maybe 86 or 87 and me in 89, but every year the relist rate goes down which is to me very sad b'c most folks now are using it as a seed catalog, which was NOT the original purpose. On the upside, the owners of many seed companes are members and they may request seeds, trial them, and then offer them and that does help preservation of OP varieties if you want to look at it that way.
Old November 12, 2011   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's a link from a German website with pictures. If you need any help with seeds let me know. Ami

http://www.tomaten-atlas.de/sorten/z/1727-zuckertraube
Old November 12, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just throwing this out as a suggestion.

The variety Gardener's Delight was bred in Germany and is an older commercial variety. it's also known as Sugar Lump.

Zuckertraube is also a red cherry and would be known as "Sweet Grape".

IS there any possible connection between the these two apparently similar varieties since both are red cherries, both from Germany and both have sweet /sugar as part of the variety name.