Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 1, 2017   #16
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I picked thru the packages for the largest bulbs and selected this duo. Next time I think of it I'll pick up another package and break open a bulb for tasting and looking. I'm surprised that it isn't commonly sold in every Walmart since the origin is Mexico.

As to the mites, I've been examining bulbs in stores and I have seen brown on the wrapper but not the bulb as described in the link above. Of course I haven't peeled the clove to see if it is just superficial. I haven't seen damage to the bulb either. I have also seen the brown streaked wrapper on reputable certified disease free garlic from a highly reputable seller.

I don't know what to make of this.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; October 1, 2017 at 04:29 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #17
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I sense a bias against white garlic? How did that happen? Here it's quite highly regarded (and it's usually quite good too).
I like that complex spicy aftertaste that is not in common store garlic. I associate white with that boring stuff but if you know of any knock your socks off whites please tell!

- Lisa
Old October 31, 2017   #18
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I planted all but one bulb of this Wal Mart mystery two weeks ago. The remaining bulb waiting for a spot in the marginal bed has started to sprout. None of my saved garlic sprouted so I am little concerned about what may be happening to the bulbs already planted. If it was still decent weather I would dig those rows up, but I don't have time to fiddle going backwards. I still have a few more good bulbs to plant.

Maybe I will do what you did, GrowingCostal. I tried garlic in a grocery frosting bucket but it turned out scrawny. How large are your containers?

- Lisa
Old November 1, 2017   #19
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Container sizes for my garlic are from 5 gal to 2 gal. I need to make sure they can drain all the rain during the winter. A friend plants hers in large storage containers and gets great results.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #20
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Here, the WalMart loose garlic is a mix of softneck (most) and hardneck (very few). The "white" hardneck didn't survive the winter, just a few of the "purple" hardneck ones did.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see any hardneck in the bulk bin here. While I was looking through the bin examining the necks, a nice customer came over and informed me that she had bought moldy garlic there. She recommended the nicely packaged organic purple product. I was pretty surprised when she showed me a basket that was in a small bookshelf like an endcap with other small items piled on top of it. It was very easy to miss, and they only had 4 packages.

Maybe a year ago I saw this striking purple garlic one time only in the bulk bin. It attracted my attention as being very upscale for WalMart especially for the low price. I wonder if they just opened some of the organic baggies and used them to replace ordinary California type bulk product they were out of or pulled. I have three bulbs planted and one still left. Bummer that it didn't have a good survival rate in a cold area. I'll just eat the remaining bulb.

- Lisa
Old November 4, 2017   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have already bought close to 2 1/2 lbs from WM.they are real good with nice big cloves (except fea small ones inside. I dont plant those.). I intend to plant about 100 cloves. Last year I planted just 18 and they were real good.
Now i am debating planting time. It is still bit warmer for garlic right now.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2017   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Our Publix store had a terrific purple garlic from Spain for a few months. It was quite pungent and had a nice smooth strong flavor. I wish I had bought more and planted a few cloves to see how it performed here. I haven't grown garlic for years because it is so hard to dry it properly here due to our extremely high humidity. I might be able to dry it in my shed now since I have a small air conditioner installed in it.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Our fresh garlic is almost a dollar a head I find this prohibitive and wont buy it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2017   #25
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

This strain tasted very garlicky but didn't have a hot bite. It might go well in a dish like string beans or something where it won't compete for flavor. Any suggestions are welcome.

- Lisa
Old November 11, 2017   #26
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Our fresh garlic is almost a dollar a head I find this prohibitive and wont buy it.

Worth
I paid close to 4 bucks per pound. They were roealnice big hard neck. Unlike some the inside clove had decent size too. But I kept those for cooking. And planted w outer rows. With the weather coolinddown, the should sprout quickly

Organic tefers to growing method and has nothing to do with the henetics. So for planting it does not really matter

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #27
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Chinese or USA Garlic?

Thanks to this thread I decided to grow some garlic this year. So while I was at Wally World I bought some garlic to plant. There was only one choice as the loose garlic shelf was wiped out. So I bought the 1.25 pound bag from Spice World. Looked really nice. 3.89 I think.

I start reading about how to plant it and then I find out most of our garlic is now imported from China. It says the garlic from China is inferior to the garlic grown here, so buying from Walmart I assumed it was from China. Looked on the bag and it said Product of USA. I am still not convinced, so I search and find this.

It is really easy to tell. The garlic from China has no roots at all, basically bare on the bottom. So I went back and looked again and to my relief this garlic still had the roots.

Here is the article, also proves that stuff from China is labeled USA in the supermarkets.

https://californiamediterraneandiet....hinese-garlic/

Edit to say that this may have already posted somewhere. I do not read all the forums regularly.

Last edited by seaeagle; November 12, 2017 at 10:49 AM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #28
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

ha, thanks for posting! Yeah, quality of garlic should be obvious. Gotta look around and see what is around although we had our frosts but soil still not frozen ...
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017   #29
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Seaeagle, you will love locally grown garlic and will never go back to the bulk bin, I promise!
And yes, the pretty purple WM garlic has LOTS of roots still attached. Much more than the homegrown garlic that I dried and saved.

Once you pick up a little experience , you will probably want to expand on the varieties you grow. Local farmers markets are a great place. If it isn't too late to plant in your area, some online sellers are having sales. You can still get sampler packs of 3 cloves (not bulbs) for $1.99 at seedsnow.com.

The link you provided was from a protected blog and I was denied access. Good to know though.

- Lisa
Old November 15, 2017   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The California garlic industry is heavily protected so the price can stay up.
The BS about the inferior garlic from China is just that BS.
Just part of the protectionist marketing lie game that has went on for centuries.
They said the same thing about steam powered ships to keep the clippers going.

Truly good garlic can only be grown at home or from a friend.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote