Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 19, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Jumping for the sky

Taking a break from seed sowing, I went out to catch some rays and decided to rake a bit more. I should have stayed in the house.

I had just gotten started when I uncovered a snake. As usually, I jumped back and yelped my head off and did some deep breathing exercises to slow down a pounding heart.

It was a juvenile and I didn't uncover all of it. By the time I got back with a shovel to try and pin it to identify it had slithered somewhere under other leaves. We do have alot of snakes here. Some good and a whole lot of bad and most around here and in my yard I do know.

I haven't seen this type before. What I could see of the body it is all one color no patterns at all. Not sure if I have the color name right, but it reminded me of a russet/ color. Looked like some of the drying hickory and oak leaves, but only with a shine.

I have dial up and spent hours waiting on pics to try and load and finally had to give up so I could get some work done.

I have a big poster of the common top 6 poisonous ones that our electric co=op sent out to all it's customers and this snake is not on it. I even looked up pics of those 6 as juvenile's and none matched.

Does anybody happen to have an idea of what it might be? I would like to get it identified if possible and find out if it is a good or a bad snake since it is still out there in the yard and i'll probably come across it again as I clear more ground. ( shivers)

Also is there some sort of protective shoe wear that is good for maybe stopping a snake from biting through if you accidentally step on one?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Outdoor stores sell "snake boots." I was going to say rubber boots would be fine, and I'm sure they are better than nothing, but there are a lot of anecdotal stories on web forums of snakes being able to bite through them.

Here are some pics that might match up to your snake:
https://www.google.com/search?q=most...w=1067&bih=751
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant help with the snake but for me all snakes are good until proven otherwise.
We have poisonous coral snakes here but I wont kill them either.
Do you know how hard it is to get bit by one of these things?
You have to be really fooling with one for it to bite you.
The most common snake I have at my place is the hog nose snake.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I cant help with the snake but for me all snakes are good until proven otherwise.

Worth
Yep! If you you kill all the snake off, you'll be over run by mice and voles.
Nature has a balance.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Outdoor stores sell "snake boots." I was going to say rubber boots would be fine, and I'm sure they are better than nothing, but there are a lot of anecdotal stories on web forums of snakes being able to bite through them.

Here are some pics that might match up to your snake:
https://www.google.com/search?q=most...w=1067&bih=751

Thanks so much for the link Cole_Robbie. I went through all the pics and it was so much faster to load. I may just have found its identity.

Looks like it might be either an Eastern Worm snake or a South Eastern Crowned Snake.

The first has 11-12 eggs and the second only one to three a year. If it is the EW snake than I will probably find its brothers and sis around. Oh no! But at least I won't freak as bad if I do see the others.

Good news is they good guys and harmless.

Thanks for the "outdoor stores" idea too. Never thought of them. Will start checking around. I have rubber boots, but I don't trust them

Quote:

Worth
I know the snakes are needed to keep the critter population down. I'd be over run with them if not for some of the snakes. They just need to stay out of my immediate working area.

I have some snakes that been around for years and years. Some good and some not so good. They getting big and long. Usually when I encounter them, they go one way and I go the other.

A big reason for keeping the snakes identified and which ones are in what areas is not only for my knowledge, but one of my closest friends brings their grandchildren along with them and one of them is challenged. He will run the grounds and woods, climb trees and is just all over the place and we try to make sure he stays away from known areas where a possible snake may be or has been sited. Even with discussions and warnings, a lot of times he doesn't comprehend the danger. I would hate for anything to happen to anybody's child.
Old February 19, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not advocating not running a snake off but my neighbors are snake killers of all kinds it ticks me to no end.
Seems like they are always killing the worlds largest copperheads (six feet long)
They aren't copperheads.
My parents bought me the encyclopedias of nature when I was barely old enough to read.
I lived in those books.
'The reason they bought the books was because I was always coming home with a new snake, spider or some other critter.

Worth
Old February 19, 2016   #7
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

If it has a rattle - obviously it's a rattlesnake.
If it is brown/copper color look at its pupils, if they are vertical elliptical shaped, then it probably is a copperhead or a variation of a moccasin. Most all non-venomous snakes have round pupils. Some non-venomous snakes can appear to have a triangular shaped head, so that is not always the best identification method.
There is a good rhyme to tell the difference between a friendly King Snake and a Venomous Coral Snake. Both have red, yellow and black bands.
Just remember that if "Red touches Yellow Kills a Fellow" it's venomous - a coral snake.
If "Red touches Black Friend of Jack" it's a harmless king, milk or scarlet snake.

I grew up in south MS and we had our fair share of snakes of all kinds. I was bitten by a rattler and a copperhead. I received no or very mild effect from the rattler, maybe it was near empty or did not get a good enough bite on me although was stuck to my knee cap for a few seconds. The copperhead made me sick for a couple of days (I was stupid and did not see a doctor). I was chased by a cottonmouth and also one crossed over the center of my boat one time (I guess I was in its way). They are very aggressive. Water snakes in general are aggressive, but only the cottonmouth will keep most or all of it's body above the surface while swimming (non-venomous water snakes usually only keep their head up). Never saw a coral snake in the wild, plenty of King Snakes.
Chances are good that most snakes that you come across are non-venomous. Hog-nose snakes are very cool as they go from one extreme to another ... they can actually flatten their head and will try to mimic cobras or they will just roll over and play dead ... they are non-venomous and actually pretty friendly once you get to know them! I also liked rat snakes.

Edit (although some may not agree): Just a note about copperheads - if you have pets or children around your home, unless you want to catch and release elsewhere - I would advise killing every and any copperhead that you see around your property, but please make sure it is properly identified. They do not give warning, they do hold their ground, and they can be lethal to pets and children. They also hide in the strangest of places. A lot of people swear they smell cucumbers when they encounter them. Cottonmouths - just chop their heads off and be done with them. Rattlers, I am very partial to. I think they are deserving of relocating by either you or a professional.

Last edited by rhines81; February 19, 2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Copperheads
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2016   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default A snake "head"will still bite up to a hour after,be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
If it is brown/copper color look at its pupils, if they are vertical elliptical shaped, then it probably is a copperhead or a variation of a moccasin. Most all non-venomous snakes have round pupils. Some non-venomous snakes can appear to have a triangular shaped head, so that is not always the best identification method.
There is a good rhyme to tell the difference between a friendly King Snake and a Venomous Coral Snake. Both have red, yellow and black bands.
Just remember that if "Red touches Yellow Kills a Fellow" it's venomous - a coral snake.
If "Red touches Black Friend of Jack" it's a harmless king, milk or scarlet snake.

I grew up in south MS and we had our fair share of snakes of all kinds. I was bitten by a rattler and a copperhead. I received no or very mild effect from the rattler, maybe it was near empty or did not get a good enough bite on me although was stuck to my knee cap for a few seconds. The copperhead made me sick for a couple of days (I was stupid and did not see a doctor). I was chased by a cottonmouth and also one crossed over the center of my boat one time (I guess I was in its way). They are very aggressive. Water snakes in general are aggressive, but only the cottonmouth will keep most or all of it's body above the surface while swimming (non-venomous water snakes usually only keep their head up). Never saw a coral snake in the wild, plenty of King Snakes.
Chances are good that most snakes that you come across are non-venomous. Hog-nose snakes are very cool as they go from one extreme to another ... they can actually flatten their head and will try to mimic cobras or they will just roll over and play dead ... they are non-venomous and actually pretty friendly once you get to know them! I also liked rat snakes.

Edit (although some may not agree): Just a note about copperheads - if you have pets or children around your home, unless you want to catch and release elsewhere - I would advise killing every and any copperhead that you see around your property, but please make sure it is properly identified. They do not give warning, they do hold their ground, and they can be lethal to pets and children. They also hide in the strangest of places. A lot of people swear they smell cucumbers when they encounter them. Cottonmouths - just chop their heads off and be done with them. Rattlers, I am very partial to. I think they are deserving of relocating by either you or a professional.
I did not believe at first but there are plenty of reports of this occuring even with rattlers.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...41f1b20be169e6
Old February 20, 2016   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Not advocating not running a snake off but my neighbors are snake killers of all kinds it ticks me to no end.
Seems like they are always killing the worlds largest copperheads (six feet long)
They aren't copperheads.
My parents bought me the encyclopedias of nature when I was barely old enough to read.
I lived in those books.
'The reason they bought the books was because I was always coming home with a new snake, spider or some other critter.

Worth
Worth... I have an old set of those nature encyclopedias out in the shed. Somebody gave them to me many years ago and I would use them with some of the children when I worked in the writing to read program.

Want me to send them to you. You can relive the memories.

Quote:

Good idea on the eyes. That is if I dare get close enough to look at them. Half the time I don't have my glasses on when working in the yard.

Your right about the head shapes. I have a hard time sometimes trying to figure out if it is triangular or not. Usually by the time I try and figure it out, the snake has disappeared under leaf mulch.

Such a simple saying of red to yellow, but for some reason I never can remember it when I need too. By the time I come and look at pics and go back out the snake has moved on to scare me another day.

Good grief! Bad enough to get one venomous bite and live, but to have two. Those of us in this area really need to learn the proper way of first aid for a snake bite. There is so much controversy about which methods are proper.

Generally, if I see them in an area I am working, I back out and won't go into that area for about 3 days. I heard snakes do a lot of moving around, so I always hope by then they have at least moved into different spot for the time being. Probably not true, but it makes me feel better. Usually takes that long for me to get nerves calmed down and be brave enough to go back to that area. In some matters I am such a wimp.

One thing I don't do any more is just to grab containers. I will move them around with a rake or a hoe first. Too many times I have gone to grab a bunch of containers to transplant and had a snake slither out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I did not believe at first but there are plenty of reports of this occuring even with rattlers.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...41f1b20be169e6
Oh yes, I fully believe that you can still get bite. I've seen ones killed and while the bottom part of a body may not by moving, the head and jaws will still be.
Old February 20, 2016   #10
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Those of us in this area really need to learn the proper way of first aid for a snake bite.
This brings to mind the joke about the Lone Ranger and Tonto where the Lone Ranger gets bit by a sidewinder in the desert. Tonto rode into town to get advice from the doctor.
Anyhow Tonto comes back and tells the Lone Ranger that he is going to die.

I left out the key part of the joke to keep it G-rated, but I am sure you can google it.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2016   #11
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Years ago when my girls were small we were building a house in a new subdivision. Many of the lots were still being cleared and the neighbors warned us about the copperheads. When we moved in I was afraid to let the girls go out to play. The snakes were everywhere, we killed many of them. If I remember correctly the babies looked almost a solid color unless you were inspecting them up close and personal. Thankfully once all the lots were cleared so were most of the snakes. Copperheads are easy to identify. Harmless snakes do not bother me at all. Spiders on the other hand....Yikes!!!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In Austin back in the 80's they were doing some excavating in a vacant lot and the rattlesnakes invaded a daycare center playground.

Worth
Old February 20, 2016   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This brings to mind the joke about the Lone Ranger and Tonto where the Lone Ranger gets bit by a sidewinder in the desert. Tonto rode into town to get advice from the doctor.
Anyhow Tonto comes back and tells the Lone Ranger that he is going to die.

I left out the key part of the joke to keep it G-rated, but I am sure you can google it.
I remember that episode. Dad was a western movie nut, so we watched alot of the Lone Ranger. Reruns are on tv still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Years ago when my girls were small we were building a house in a new subdivision. Many of the lots were still being cleared and the neighbors warned us about the copperheads. When we moved in I was afraid to let the girls go out to play. The snakes were everywhere, we killed many of them. If I remember correctly the babies looked almost a solid color unless you were inspecting them up close and personal. Thankfully once all the lots were cleared so were most of the snakes. Copperheads are easy to identify. Harmless snakes do not bother me at all. Spiders on the other hand....Yikes!!!
If I had that many I think I would have to pack up and move. I would have been afraid too. I am hoping once I get a lot more area cleared they will move on too. Doesn't help when next door neighbor has bunches of chickens. Seems like we have seen more snakes around since she started raising and breeding the birds.

Funny how different folks can have different fears. Now spiders don't bother me at all. I have them all over the place and they will get on the plants and web up. They do eat alot of pests. On misty, foggy mornings you can look out over the wild tufts of grass and see all kinds of webs. They usually not there long as the birds do their thing. Mother Nature is always at work in some form. I don't think there is anything prettier from the spider world than seeing the beautiful webs the Orb spiders build and seeing them in all their colorful glory.

Only two spiders we have here that I will kill is the Black Widows and the Brown Recluse. I get spider bites all the time. Have five now that finally are healing on the inside of my arm. When working with the plants and especially harvesting it is very easy to accidentally get one or two up the sleeve or down the back of the neck.

Quote:
In Austin back in the 80's they were doing some excavating in a vacant lot and the rattlesnakes invaded a daycare center playground.

Worth
How frightening!

Sometimes I almost think I should move back up North where the only snake we had to deal with once in a while was a garter snake through the corn fields. Dealing with the snow and cold is so much easier to deal with than all the critters down here.

Warm ups have brought the ants back out and they already farming aphids back out onto any green plant they can. Oh the joys of gardening!