Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old June 21, 2013   #181
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

No problem. I may break down and purchase a pack to compare just out of curiocity.

Artisan will still be well represented in rural NE Ga, but at the farmers market.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk 2

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #182
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I think your Purple BB will stand up well to the competition. But, I am completely biased on this issue.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #183
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Fred every cherry I'm growing from your collection is blushing except PBB. Taste tests should commence soon. Oh that's not including GT either as I got that one from you late.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #184
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I am noticing a bit of discussion of some of our un-released varieties, which is nice. But, I want to remind people who got Sunrise Bumble Bee, Green Tiger or any other un-released variety last year that they were sent out with the understanding that they are for "personal use" only.

Many of you got new varieties via our Kickstarter project last year, and some of you got them from us directly, because we want to have people trial them in various parts of the country, and under different growing systems. In either case, please remember that you agreed to not to distribute these varieties to others.

If you have varieties that are not released (Sunrise Bumble Bee, Green Tiger, Green Day or any others we have not released) please do not:

1. Give them to a seed company to trial before the end of 2013.

2. Distribute seeds in trades, or for free, at Tomatoville and similar places, before the end of 2014.

Johnny's Seeds is going to be the exclusive distributor of Sunrise Bumble Bee (see avatar) and Lucky Tiger (also previously know as "Green Day") starting late in 2013 will likely be supporting a PVP for both varieties.

Anyone growing these varieties will be able to continue saving seed of them, and growing them without restrictions. Farmers may save and use seed for their own farms as well. The PVP, however, will limit distribution by other seed companies.

Please respect the fact that it took us tens of thousands of dollars to carry out breeding year-round (in expensive, rented greenhouses in winter). These varieties represent some of the very best lines we have produced. Please respect our rights as breeders to recoup some of the money we spent through royalties from Johnny's Selected Seeds.

For those of you who are disappointed that you have missed out on the pre-release growing of some of our new tomato varieties, please consider participating in our new Kickstarter project (8 days left) in which we are freely distributing seeds for some exceptional new squash varieties. In this squash project, all Kickstarter participants will have absolutely no restrictions with regard to what they do with the seeds (and varieties) once they get them.

More details on our Squash Kickstarter project are here.

It is my opinion that these new squash compete with other squash, in the same way that Blush, Pink Bumble Bee, Lucky Tiger and Sunrise Bumble Bee compete with other cherry tomatoes. In other words -- they do pretty well.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; July 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old July 14, 2013   #185
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I am growing purple bumblebee, blush, and pink bumblebee. Are these restricted?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2013   #186
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

No, Red Baron.

They have all been released through our website (and Blush also via Seeds of Change and other sites).

Originally, Seeds of Change planned to pay for a Blush PVP but they changed their minds. Those varieties are all free to anyone to do anything they want with them (including other seed companies)

A good rule of thumb is -- if the variety can be bought at any seed company (including www.growartisan.com) there are no restrictions.

The restrictions are only relevant to seeds sent through our kickstarter project last year -- where we very explicitly said they could only be used for personal use, and not distributed; and to seeds we sent to people with the specific understanding that they were not released, and were not to be distributed.

Again, the restricted varieties include Sunrise Bumble Bee, Lucky Tiger (Green Day), Green Tiger and any other variety that is not available via a seed company.
Old July 16, 2013   #187
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I am noticing a bit of discussion of some of our un-released varieties, which is nice. But, I want to remind people who got Sunrise Bumble Bee, Green Tiger or any other un-released variety last year that they were sent out with the understanding that they are for "personal use" only.

Many of you got new varieties via our Kickstarter project last year, and some of you got them from us directly, because we want to have people trial them in various parts of the country, and under different growing systems. In either case, please remember that you agreed to not to distribute these varieties to others.

If you have varieties that are not released (Sunrise Bumble Bee, Green Tiger, Green Day or any others we have not released) please do not:

1. Give them to a seed company to trial before the end of 2013.

2. Distribute seeds in trades, or for free, at Tomatoville and similar places, before the end of 2014.

Johnny's Seeds is going to be the exclusive distributor of Sunrise Bumble Bee (see avatar) and Lucky Tiger (also previously know as "Green Day") starting late in 2013 will likely be supporting a PVP for both varieties.

Anyone growing these varieties will be able to continue saving seed of them, and growing them without restrictions. Farmers may save and use seed for their own farms as well. The PVP, however, will limit distribution by other seed companies.

Please respect the fact that it took us tens of thousands of dollars to carry out breeding year-round (in expensive, rented greenhouses in winter). These varieties represent some of the very best lines we have produced. Please respect our rights as breeders to recoup some of the money we spent through royalties from Johnny's Selected Seeds.

For those of you who are disappointed that you have missed out on the pre-release growing of some of our new tomato varieties, please consider participating in our new Kickstarter project (8 days left) in which we are freely distributing seeds for some exceptional new squash varieties. In this squash project, all Kickstarter participants will have absolutely no restrictions with regard to what they do with the seeds (and varieties) once they get them.

More details on our Squash Kickstarter project are here.

It is my opinion that these new squash compete with other squash, in the same way that Blush, Pink Bumble Bee, Lucky Tiger and Sunrise Bumble Bee compete with other cherry tomatoes. In other words -- they do pretty well.
Fred I totally understand. And pretty much assumed that was the case. And I hope that anybody else who was lucky enough will respect your request.

I was lucky enough to get the chance to trial these awsome varieties (Green Tiger and Sunrise Bumble Bee) both of which I think are outstanding.

Thanks again for your generosity.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #188
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

You're absolutely welcome Damon. I look forward to seeing you later in the summer, to do some tomato tasting.

Cheers,
Fred
Old July 20, 2013   #189
Dak
Tomatovillian™

I signed up, sure hope it gets funded, would love to grow more good tasting squash.

Last edited by Dak; July 20, 2013 at 03:01 AM.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013   #190
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

To whom it may concern:

We finally dug out from under the pile of recent orders. The last of them are going out today, and I want to apologize for the delays. We have included extras in the hopes that people will be satisfied.

Fortunately, in the near future, most of the sales of our varieties will be taking place via other reputed sources (with Johnny's Selected Seeds at the forefront).

We will continue some sales on our website, but they will likely be focused on introducing new (or sometimes old) varieties of our own, as well as varieties that we love, but that are not relatively under-appreciated in our estimation.

Two things I am pretty set on releasing at www.growartisan.com in the next week or two are Maglia Rosa and Zucchero (the parents of Blush). Since a recent article outed them as parents of Blush, we have had a number of requests for both varieties.

We may also sell a new under-appreciated variety, or relatively unknown tomato variety.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; August 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old August 20, 2013   #191
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
I signed up, sure hope it gets funded, would love to grow more good tasting squash.
Didn't get funded. I am not sure what I am going to do about the 3-lobed squash projects. The plants in the field look good right now, but it is too early to tell how much some of the lines continue to segregate.

I may try another kickstarter project that would spread the lines, the work, and the opportunity around. Or, I may be compelled to just finish up the lines and release them as OP lines.

Time will tell.
Old August 20, 2013   #192
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

I won't know until spring if I have room for a pumpkin patch. If I do I will help...but your deadline was too soon for me. We may move again, don't know if we will have all this space again until Spring.
Old August 22, 2013   #193
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Well, the squash project has been scaled back. We are releasing seed through "squash" workshops at our farm this fall. Otherwise we are going to continue to develop the lines.
Old October 21, 2013   #194
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Three years ago FrogsLeap Farm and Baia Nicchia Farm started a very successful joint-venture, breeding tomatoes. At this juncture, however, the two farms have decided to focus on different areas and that the best way to further develop and release new varieties is to dissolve the joint venture, and breed/release lines independently. The two farms will continue to collaborate on some projects of common interest. The "Artisan Seeds" brand will be carried forward by Baia Nicchia Farm which will assume all rights and contractual responsibilities related to the brand. FrogsLeap Farm will release new varieties independent of Artisan Seeds. Progress at FrogsLeap Farm may be followed at www.frogsleapfarm.blogspot.com, and on the Frogsleap Farm Facebook page and progress at Baia Nicchia may be followed at www.growartisan.com, and on the Artisan Seeds Facebook page.
Old October 21, 2013   #195
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Good luck to both farms.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote