Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 30, 2016   #16
Antipodean
Tomatovillian™

Default Hi neighbour

Hello, fellow antipodean, i think you have a number of nutrient deficiencies going on which can be caused by either under fertilising or overwatering/poor drainage.

It appears the advice you have gotten is crazy wrong....eggshells and banana skins in container growing is downright wrong! i wouldn't listen to them.

they've/you've over-complicated it.....lets start from the beginning:

Your containers of choice should be a minimum of 30 litres, even bigger is better, make sure they have drainage holes;
Use just potting mix to fill them....no compost, egg shells etc. Potting mix is formulated to have the right amount of water retention and drainage and also won't breakdown so that balance is maintained. Compost etc will alter the balance and it breaks down quickly and affects drainage (waterlogging);
Organic fertilisers don't work in containers. They require microorganisms to work and potting mix is virtually a dead medium;
Use a soluble or liquid 'chemical' all purpose fertiliser (look for 'Flower and Fruit' fertilisers) with all the micronutrients (Fe, C, Mg etc). Fertilise at half strength once a week;
Your growing medium looks water logged, i think you are over-watering or have drainage issues. Stick your finger into the mix and if its damp don't water. Even better buy a moisture meter from Bunnings (about $10);
I don't think you have any major disease problems, maybe some fungal ones. Its best to spray once a week as a preventative. You can make a good one from baking soda, vegetable oil an water (google the recipe).

Good luck!!
Antipodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #17
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

OK..I have planted my three Tasty Tom Laterals in containers Plus a few more that I cannot identify...aprox 1 inch from the bottom of the containers the soil was lightly sprinkled with some epsom salts then filled with soil to a depth to accommodate the lateral that was being put in...I then watered with a weak solution of Seasol and dropped the lateral in a hole i put in the soil...I then put the containers in a tray in a front window ...Its very overcast today so no sun will get at them,otherwise they would not be there... but they will get reflected light from part of a stainless steel clothes dryer drum they sit under...If one went outside one can see the full spectrum of light reflected from the hood over them....Haven't a clue if it does anything ?? as early evening comes I will put a LED light in the socket til aprox 11pm....If they still look OK in a few days I will put them in what I call my incubator which has warmth underneath from ceramic bulbs and Fluoro Lights overhead..

After a week I intend to put some of the tomato growth liquid mix (2 posts back ) in the soil as it appears to be bringing results in my greenhouse.....Meantime I will try and find some more laterals...I wonder if Tasty Tom seeds are available in America.....It seems to be all licensed here to particular growing companies who then put the plants out around Gardenening centres( late August )....Once again a big thanks for the help.....Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2074.jpg (367.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; March 30, 2016 at 09:54 PM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #18
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi ..Sorry I am mixed up ..the above post should be on another Thread.?? I will try and sort it out but can I ask if I would be wise to mix up some of the Tomato food that I posted a photo off a couple of posts ago .and apply it to the lateral soil.......the soil I have used is a highly rated Tomato Mix soil and it would need to be if my laterals are to survive or be resusitated...Thanks Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; March 31, 2016 at 05:55 AM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote