Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 19, 2007   #16
greggf
Tomatovillian™

I bought my TX cages over several seasons, so the cost was spread out.

As I think about the big $$ I've shelled out for many hobbies over the years, the TX cages are one of the very few things that actually seem worth the money. Yikes.
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2007   #17
Suze
Tomatovillian™

One more thing about the Tx cages (I'm really not a sales rep, lol -- I just like the product).

I do have three six packs (18) of the 18" diameter ones that are really nice for container growing. I have some 14 gal containers that they work in rather well. I also occasionally use them for some of the more spindly, droopy foliaged heart/plum/pointy/variable shaped types.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2007   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdaddyJ View Post
feldon, my math shows the large Texas cage @ $21.40 each with shipping. I have no need for the 2' extenders. They are already 6 feet tall and my plants will grow up about 8 feet and then start growing down again and the Texas cage works fine.

How much would the concrete wires ones come too if you added up how much your time was worth to go buy the concrete wire rolls, cost of the wire rolls, bring them home and make the cages? Plus the gasoline to get to the store and back?

For us non handymen these Texas Cages are great!
I don't mind building things. It took me a few hours to make 24 cages.

24 Texas cages are $513.60.
24 of my cages were $140. Plus $3 gas. If I charge myself $50 an hour for 4 hours to make the cages it still comes out to $343.

I say people should get whatever works. Texas Tomato Cages are a good investment since they will last forever, collapse for easy storage, and need no support. I just couldn't spring the extra $375.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth
I am a handy man and I have checked out the price of building my own cages and this is what I came up with.
The T posts where going to cost me $5.00 each and I figured I would need two of them.
This is also what I found. So instead, I bought a spool of medium gauge wire for $10 and tied all the cages to each other and then added a couple of screws to the raised bed planks and did wire ties from the cages to those screws.

Despite some heavy winds, I had no problems with cages falling over.

Staking is not an option. Most of the tomato varieties we grow have 8-12 "main leaders". The cages at Wal-Mart are too small. And I really dislike the idea of dealing with rusty CRW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth
Then the trouble of making them and putting them away in the winter and so forth pretty much sealed the deal for me.
I feel no need to put the tomato cages away from December through March. I do remove the cages so I can clean out and mix up the beds and add more organic matter but then I put the cages right back and just let them sit there.

I was just bringing this all up because for someone who wants to spend "about $150" for their tomato supports and have it last a few seasons to see if they really like growing tomatoes, there really are no good options besides Florida weave.

I should add that I am seriously considering buying some Texas Tomato Cages. I know how popular they are. As gregg said, if I buy them a few every season, I can spread out the cost. I can use those cages I've already made for other things like cucumbers and melons. and beans.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2007   #19
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

That makes perfect sense to me. You have good support, had fun making them and saved money. For us non handymen though the Texas are a godsend.

I leave my CRW homemade's outside all year too. I have no other storage option for them and they are all rusted up anyway so what the hey. I just brought my Texas cages into the garage moments ago all nice and folded flat and it took maybe 5 minutes and so easy a 90 year old grandma could do it.

Mid 60s here in Delaware and I have annuals still blooming. Maybe I should start seeds for next year's garden today? LOL
Old November 21, 2007   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I hear ya Morgan!!!

My wife made me do it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2008   #21
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Are the Texas cages 6' total, or 6' from the ground up once they are placed in the soil?

Thanks,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #22
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

All of my cages are the icky, hard to manage type. I too would love to have the TX cages but can't imagine shelling out the money for at least 50 plants. I know, worth the money but that is a LOT considering I have the materials to construct what I need. Former owners left several rolls of fencing material out in the pasture. I plan to stake each and every cage because the wind out here is hard to believe if you've never experienced KS. I also have over 50 stakes, accumulated through the years. I'm still formulating a plan that I think will work without costing a fortune this year.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #23
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Are the Texas cages 6' total, or 6' from the ground up once they are placed in the soil?

Thanks,

Greg
6' above the ground. 18" spikes that go into the ground.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old February 18, 2008   #24
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

I was going to order 18 but I cut it back to just 6 for Texas tomato cages. I am doing a side by side experiment.

Caged Vs- nothing, just left to sprawl. Comparing some of the same cultivatar in the same location in the same soil.

This is #1 an experiment to see if there are production differences. I am sure that each time we have a wet spell I will be out with the iron phosphate bait in a panic but then again it may be a dry year??
#2 if it is too much of a mess the mess will be justification for more cages. I only have 29 plants to personally plant out this spring. Gave the rest away. (this is just me and my wife here)
#3 I just have to try it!

If I am fortunate I will soon have a place to grow much more. (another good reason to conduct the sprawling experiment)

I look forward to using the Texas tomato cages and not using them . Hell, I just like to grow tomatoes.
Old February 19, 2008   #25
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

Would any discussion of cages be complete without me chiming in about my PVC cages?

Quite a few folks like them...not as many as like the CRW cages to be sure,
but for the urban gardener with not that many plants, I think they're very servicable.

As usual, thanks to feldon30 for hosting the link.

http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/tom_pvc/

And the cost you ask? Probably, depending on the price of PVC in your area. About the same as the Texas cages.

But stronger. One person posted on another board that after a true tropical storm came through (remnants of a for
real hurricane), my design held up the best.

In fact, he titled the thread 'Hurricane resistant tomato cages'...with his tongue firmly in his cheek, I'm sure.

Disclaimer....CRW cages not included. But that does include the Texas cage and the usual slinky-designed cone
shaped ones (with supplementary stakes).
Old February 19, 2008   #26
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Feldon, it helps in my decision to buy them or not.
18" spikes? wow. Hope they can get into the clay around here.

Greg
Old February 19, 2008   #27
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Well I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the first 8-12 inches of that soil is cultivated, loose, well-drained sandy loam?

Old February 19, 2008   #28
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Raised beds around here. Have to. I can't see anything growing in this clay unless it was 1 - Removed and replaced or 2 - YEARS of incorporating compost, soils, ect.
They are 12" tall but the clay underneath is hard. Driving a tomato stake in it usually results in a broken stake.
I sometimes use the crappy tomato cages for my Determinates. When I insert the cage into the ground, the first 12" goes easy, then it his clay and comes to a dead stop. I have to stake the cages becuase a good summer T-storm will blow them right over.
I'm leaning towards Texas cages but still want to check the local Tractor Supply to see what they have in stock.

Thanks,

Greg
Old February 19, 2008   #29
beck3465
Tomatovillian™

TTcages or my son's college tuition??? TT cages or my son's college tuition??? Drat that HIGHER education!!!!
beck3465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2008   #30
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Your son can fend for hiimself! Get the cages!