Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2017   #181
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

This would be right up my alley. Micro dwarfs. I usually grow 30-40 full size plants, 15-20 dwarfs, and is getting to be way too much as I do not have the help I had a few years ago. I could grow a whole bunch in the greenhouse and be able to have my helpers managed them much more easily. It would also be very easy to put them on one of my rolling carts to move them in and out early in the year. So I would be more than happy-happy dancing wheelchair-to try to grow 20-30 micro dwarfs. So please consider me. Joan
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #182
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by POAJoan View Post
This would be right up my alley. Micro dwarfs. I usually grow 30-40 full size plants, 15-20 dwarfs, and is getting to be way too much as I do not have the help I had a few years ago. I could grow a whole bunch in the greenhouse and be able to have my helpers managed them much more easily. It would also be very easy to put them on one of my rolling carts to move them in and out early in the year. So I would be more than happy-happy dancing wheelchair-to try to grow 20-30 micro dwarfs. So please consider me. Joan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
If there's going to be a microdwarf project, I'm willing participate.

Alas, there is no Micro-Dwarf Project. It would be great if there were, but…. Now, if someone wanted to put one together and coordinate it, I’d contribute lots of unstable crosses people could micro hunt with. But I don’t have the inclination, desire or organization to keep track of all that would be needed to do one.

I am more than willing to send seed to anyone who says they want to help grow them and will share results (and seed back to me for anything that is worth growing again). Between this thread on micros and another thread about multiflora dwarfs, I’ve sent seeds to lots of folks. Unfortunately, I never hear back from most of them.

If you want to try some and at least intend to report back results, PM me and I’ll work with you and send you some seeds that MIGHT give you what you are looking for. Those in the photos I just posted are F4s so they should start coming more consistent with the next generation.

I have my ideas why so many people don’t report anything back – they don’t get the results they were expecting and not much worth growing. They probably start only a handful of seeds and grow out most of those they start. As I’ve worked more and more with these crosses, I’ve come to realize how much I didn’t know when I first started with them. I probably led people to believe the F3s they grew would be more like the F2s I described they came from than they were. I didn’t realize how much variability there would be and how many you need to start to find a few worth growing. Most turn out not to be worth growing again. So, if you only start 6-8 seeds and grow 2-3 plants, you probably will not find anything worthwhile.

In the F2 and F3 generations, I probably start at least 50-100 seeds for each one I grow to maturity. I'll shut up now.

Oakley, if you want to work another line, let me know and let’s get you some seed.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #183
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I've found that I really like micros. They used to just be something that I could start really early to get some OK tomatoes before my regular varieties were ready. But I've now found that there are a lot more varieties than I'd ever imagined. Plus they are so easy to grow, and I can get two plantings per season! I can easily go up to 18" plants or so in a very manageable 12" basket. And a couple of your crosses have proved very unique and tasty. Lots to like from your informal "non-project!"
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #184
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have grown mostly very large indeterminate tomato plants in the past, but there is one called "Pinky Blast" that would fit in the micro class if 18" tall and wide fits in. The cherry tomatoes produce more like many pepper plants do with the fruit producing at the top of the plant. It is an oval/pointed cherry tomato. There is a thread from here about them http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42124
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #185
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

About how large are the fruit of Pinky Blast -- didn't notice that in the links?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #186
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They are average cherry tomato size. Around an inch across and a little taller.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #187
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yes, yes. I would like to start a new line. I could do both.
I do like that fuzzy leaf.

Can easily do full 36 cell trays, 2-3 seed per cell. I do like a good hunt.

I have two friends in the city that picked up three each of the EarthBoxes
during the sale days, 3 for 80 free delivery. I'm providing the starts. They
were unaware that they can grow tomatoes, dwarfs and micros in the city.
12 sq feet, 2x6ft is all it takes. They will get good toms from the F5 large dark cherry. I just started another tray.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #188
bower
Tomatovillian™

I hear you dfollett on the variability of F2 and F3. Always surprises, and easy to miss a (or the) trait you wanted if you only grow one or two. Not even to mention that fruit quality varies anyhow with growing conditions including the weather. It would be easy to be disappointed if you aren't mentally prepared for the challenge - and for a certain amount of fruit that is bound for the sauce.

As for ideal, I personally want something specific to our indoor winter conditions - something that's happy with very low light conditions and temperatures between 64-68 F, that is not leggy or sickly or unproductive or crappy sour fruit. Not asking much eh. Small fruit or cherry is okay, but I do want them to be tasty and sweet. Great taste and full range of colors would be priority goals, because there are already "good" micros in red (and yellow and orange?). I haven't even grown but one OP micro as yet so don't really know what's out there.
As for the different foliage types, that fuzzy leaf is super cute. I personally really like the standard rugose RL though because it looks healthy and perky all the time. I tend to worry about wispy droopy leafed plants, so unless the fruit is out of this world tasty and gorgeous I would gravitate to ordinary dwarf leaf because.. I don't need the stress.
Also on a community level, I think the average consumer would be more likely willing to try a plant that looks perky and well. And that is an important consideration for me, because the food insecurity in this part of the world is pretty bad. Winter is too long, summer is too cool, and agriculture has been out of the picture. We only produce 10% of our food here. The feasibility of big and/or heated greenhouse operations is ??? maybe doubtful, but winter food status can be greatly improved if more people are willing to try cohabitation with a few vegetables. Microtoms definitely fit into that picture.
So I am thrilled to see the progress that you're making with some good collaborators.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #189
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Micro?

Last edited by Fred Hempel; January 2, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #190
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I have my ideas why so many people don’t report anything back – they don’t get the results they were expecting and not much worth growing.
I had two pink micro cherries of yours that were great. One was multi-flora, and the other was not. I saved a lot of seeds. I took notes, but I have to find them. Flavor was better than any other micro I have ever tasted.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2018   #191
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Micro?
What's the question?
Old January 10, 2018   #192
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I found my seeds. My three picks from what you sent me, Dan, are:

I have a multi-flora I labelled #37. I believe it was 37x-F3-1. It was prolific, beautiful, and delicious. Fruit were reddish pink cherries.

My non-mf pick was 46x-F3-9. It's a red cherry that is also delicious. It's much tastier than Tiny Tim.

My final selection was chosen just for being unusual. It is 42x-F3-1, potato-leafed, and the fruit are yellow, and quite large for a micro, maybe even saladette-sized.

Of course I have seeds to share, if you want some back, or if anyone else here would like to try them. Thanks again for what you sent me.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #193
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by POAJoan View Post
I'd be happy to send you some seed. PM me your address and give me an idea of which you are most interested in and how many you would like to grow. Would you want to hunt for micros at the F2 stage or look for something from some that are likely fixed for micro size?

I have fine leaf, fuzzy leaf, potato leaf, regular leaf, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple and I'm starting to get some stripes. None are stable yet, so there are no guarantees they will be ideal. That's part of what makes it fun for me.

I'm trying to select for those that stay under 15". If up to 24"works for you, there would be lots you could work with.

Let me know.
Old February 9, 2018   #194
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Finally starting to see some with more character.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35X F2-4.jpg (239.0 KB, 126 views)
Old February 9, 2018   #195
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Those are really very pretty Dan
Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote