Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 3, 2014   #46
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Like I said there is something about Garden Web that rubs me the wrong way. I don't see the problem with answering the same questions time after time. I've seen more than once where the same question pops up again and someone has a totally new perspective on it.
GardenWeb is designed so that the same questions are posted over and over to generate traffic and ad revenue. That's directly from the guy who launched the site before selling it to iVillage.

However the enormous turnover caused by the same topics being asked almost daily is detrimental to building a community. Interesting topics are drowned out by the 8,794th person asking which version of Brandywine is attributable to the Amish or BER threads full of people walking on egg shells as it were.

GardenWeb would be great if it were moved to modern forum software and managed by a committed, engaged team.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #47
Darcie
Tomatovillian™

I love reading the posts on Tomatoville. It was a post on MyFolia that brought me to this site. I also like to visit Permies. Each site specializes in different areas of interest.
Darcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #48
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

TV is the main forum I like....There is so much knowledge and nice people here.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #49
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
GardenWeb is designed so that the same questions are posted over and over to generate traffic and ad revenue. That's directly from the guy who launched the site before selling it to iVillage.

However the enormous turnover caused by the same topics being asked almost daily is detrimental to building a community. Interesting topics are drowned out by the 8,794th person asking which version of Brandywine is attributable to the Amish or BER threads full of people walking on egg shells as it were.

GardenWeb would be great if it were moved to modern forum software and managed by a committed, engaged team.
Well that explains why they were annoyed and banned me for basically complaining about the same questions being posted over and over again and suggesting that all it did was (essentially artifically) increase the post count to allow them to generate more revenue at the expense of acually being a useful resource. Any advertiser who doesn't do their homework gets what they pay for I guess.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was looking for something and clicked on this link.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...fVsYwvGSlbtiZA

Need I say more, my computer almost locked up from all of the garbage.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #51
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Some pretty strong opinions here! haha. Actually, GW is a great source if you are specifically seeking information on container growing.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote