Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 8, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Stink Bug Info/ID

Today while picking pole beans I spied a recent hatching of something. I ran to get the duct tape, made a circle of it sticky side out and used that to blot up most of the little buggers. Stink bug babies. It's that time of year.

So I pulled up my stink bug sites to see which one they are and they're the southern green stinkbug. I thought I'd post the two sites here in case anyone else can use them.

Field Guide to Stink Bugs from VA Tech:
https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/...44-356_pdf.pdf

Stink Bug Instars (immature stages):
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Stink+Bug+...ages&ia=images
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2020   #2
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

These are the ones I discovered two days ago on the big bean trellis. There were two groups of them. Baby southern green stink bugs. Now FORMER southern green stink bugs. :

Near the babies was a bean with eggs on it. It's now in a jar by my desk so I can watch them hatch. That may not be far away as I've read the eggs turn from white to pink as they near hatching. Yesterday all the eggs were white but today only a few are.

Old July 12, 2020   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Like something from Alien! Make sure the jar lid is on tight!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2020   #4
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the photos and links Godawgs, will have to check them out more fully shortly to see which one has migrated to my garden. One of the mongerals has that's for sure.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2020   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default They're Hatching....

The stink bug eggs were white on Jul 8, then turned pink by Jul 10. Today they're starting to hatch.

Hmmm, what to feed them. Since they were found on a bean and since the babies were on the beans, I guess they'll feed on the bean in the jar. I love watching stuff like this!

Old July 13, 2020   #6
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Great experiment!
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2020   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Stink Bug Update... They're Motoring...

On July 12th the stink bug eggs hatched. Since then the babies have been just an inert cluster sitting on top of the empty egg casings. Today they're starting to move around and some are climbing the sides of the jar. The line of tiny white things along the left side of the bean are the empty egg casings.

I got one out of the jar and put it next to a ruler with millimeters showing for reference. This little one has the same markings as the batch of larger ones I duct taped off the bean plant.

Old July 17, 2020   #8
Melissa S
Tomatovillian™

I never would've thought these were stinkbugs, but after reading this thread, I think that's what I found today. Ugh. Currently battling stinkbugs, hornworms, grasshoppers, birds, aphids, and who knows what else for the tomatoes. Thanks for this educational thread.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zg7jnSD4C5aHSyYy9
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2020   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
I never would've thought these were stinkbugs, but after reading this thread, I think that's what I found today. Ugh. Currently battling stinkbugs, hornworms, grasshoppers, birds, aphids, and who knows what else for the tomatoes. Thanks for this educational thread.

Nice photo! Check the third stink bug, the Dusky Stinkbug:

https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/...44-356_pdf.pdf
Old July 19, 2020   #10
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I have to report that all the stink bugs in the jar have assumed room temperature and their mass casket, the jar, will be buried in the trash can forthwith. Maybe they sucked all the nutrition out of the bean that was in there. Anyway, it was an interesting experiment while it lasted.
Old July 20, 2020   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

They look similar to harlequin bugs.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #12
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

ick! I never thought of using duct tape -- I prefer a container of soapy water. Nice experiment.

I'm getting lots of stink bug damage on Rose Quartz Multiflora and Arkansas Traveler, but so far have seen only one bug, and it was too dark to try to catch it. One of these days, before I start seeing too much damage on all the other varieties, I will have to scout the whole jungle for eggs and juveniles!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have not had a lot of stink bugs this year and all that I have seen are the common green ones so that is a good thing. But!! I did have a massive hatch of leaf footed bugs just a little over a week ago and didn't see a single one until I was trying to pick the first large ripe bell pepper and when I brought it out from under the foliage it had at least ten fully grown leaf footed bugs on it and twice that many nearly grown juveniles. Needless to say by the time the fruit had ripened it was covered in spots and so were a lot of my early ripening bells. Since then I have sprayed my bells to get rid of the leaf footed bugs and have been checking closely for any new hatches but so far the plants are looking free of those nasty bugs. They haven't bothered my tomatoes at all because I was at war with spider mites and still am at war with spider mites with alternating sprays of Neem oil, water, soapy water and soapy water and Permethrin.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2020   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post

adding to the list here... is also the deer in my garden, foxes in my chickens of which the game warden said its okay to shoot them, raccoons and skunks... bothering my chickens AND the corn, and hawks. lord have mercy the hawks, all day long screeching in the woods behind us, perching by the chickens, swooping through the yard... the insects are easy... its the animal warfare I am battling.
Old May 13, 2021   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
These are the ones I discovered two days ago on the big bean trellis. There were two groups of them. Baby southern green stink bugs. Now FORMER southern green stink bugs. :

Near the babies was a bean with eggs on it. It's now in a jar by my desk so I can watch them hatch. That may not be far away as I've read the eggs turn from white to pink as they near hatching. Yesterday all the eggs were white but today only a few are.

I don't think those in the picture are stink Bugs. to me they look like some kind of beetles

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote