Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 30, 2007   #1
cancolgirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Hungarian Pepper

I have a Black Hungarian Pepper that I grew from seed which managed to survive, and there is a nice decent pepper on it. Now I've been researching it online and it says it turns red when ripe on some sites. Is this so or if not when is it ready to be picked?
Old August 31, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancolgirl View Post
I have a Black Hungarian Pepper that I grew from seed which managed to survive, and there is a nice decent pepper on it. Now I've been researching it online and it says it turns red when ripe on some sites. Is this so or if not when is it ready to be picked?
That is correct (red=mature for this variety, and red for seed saving purposes), although you could also use it for eating at the blackish-purple stage if you wanted to. Sometimes, it's fun to experiment with tasting peppers at those various colors they may turn to see which stage of ripeness you prefer. IME, with this one, it is hotter when black, and just slightly cooler when it turns to red.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2007   #3
cancolgirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Suze. I will wait then.
Old August 31, 2007   #4
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I have eaten some of mine in the black stage. They tasted fine, similar somewhat to jalapeño, but not as spicy and a little green flavor. I will have to try them when red. I will have to look tonight.

Thanks for reminding me.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007   #5
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

That is without question one of my favorite peppers!! One of the very few cultivars I have grown every year since I began. Wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have a least a few plants...LOL.

Ditto exactly what Suze said about color and the variable tastes. Thought I'd just throw this out there for whatever its worth....for seed saving purposes this pepper seems to just LOVE to cross pollinate. Granted most OP'ed peppers if left to their own devices just love to "intermingle"...but this one seems especially happy to do so. Have numerous(not numerous I guess but enough, say 5 or 6 accidental but still really cool hybrids that have the Hungarian Black as a parent) seeds that have been crossed that hopefully I'll start or contimue growing next season. Know w/ absolute certainty that one of them is Hungarian Black x Sipka(Bulgarian Carrot Chile), the f1's were just wild!! Who knows? Its fun...keeps me off the streets and out of houses of ill repute. Plants of Hung. Blk. that I grow for seed saving purposes are over at a coworkers house...no pepper plants of any kind within at least a mile.
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2007   #6
cancolgirl
Tomatovillian™

I will be saving seed from mine as it was actually the only one that I started early enough to get something and managed not to kill off. I only managed to get one nice sized looking pepper on it. It is blooming a lot more now. I am just getting flowers on my Super Hot Chili that seemed to take forever to recoup after a cold snap hit and they are on the other side of the garden.