Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 17, 2016   #751
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

2 pounder this morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giant_tomato.jpg (84.4 KB, 181 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #752
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Nice size tomatoes. Beautiful too. You can make a calendar with pictures of fruits, veggies and mushroom you are growing.
I bet it taste great as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #753
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Been a while...

Hope things are well Delerium. I was reading through this thread again and wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas! I am bound and determined to graft this year as I had major crop failures last year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #754
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Delerium:

I also wanted to thank you for your graft tutoring. I think I read everything you wrote, had a successful off-season try at grafting, and can't wait to give it a real go this coming January/February.

Thank you!

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017   #755
pkplatypus
Tomatovillian™

this guy doesn't seem very nice
pkplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2017   #756
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

lol yeah. I'm a meanie pkplatypus.

BigVan - Thanks! Happy Holidays & New Year to your family as well. WooWee for grafting. I'm sure you will get some nice results.

Jeff - No problemo. Once in awhile i swing by to look at my grafting notes.

I haven't planted my tomatoes outdoors yet. Soon though. Raised beds are all amended and ready for the 2017 tomato season.
Old January 25, 2017   #757
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Nice to hear from you, Delirium. Your container growing experience is contagious. I have started building my own soil. Mixing local clay with peat moss and adding other raw ingredients... It will take some time. I am hoping to introduce mushrooms to help it.
How are your mushroom projects doing? How is your little helper? She always look so happy.

Old January 25, 2017   #758
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Nice to hear from you, Delirium. Your container growing experience is contagious. I have started building my own soil. Mixing local clay with peat moss and adding other raw ingredients... It will take some time. I am hoping to introduce mushrooms to help it.
How are your mushroom projects doing? How is your little helper? She always look so happy.
Nice Ella! Building up soil is always good fun eh? Really love our garage sale compost tumbler we bought a few years back cheap. Mushroom projects are still going. Nothng much has changed this year. We finished our morel inoculation experiments awhile back in late nov early dec. Now waiting for Spring to see if it will yield any results. This will be our 2nd year messing around with Morel cultivation. Still growing the common edible mushrooms (Oysters, King Oyster, Shiitake and Lionsmane). We try eat homegrown mushrooms every week, since it has so many positive medicinal properties and the byproduct ends up feeding our vegetable plants. We have so many cultures in storage i just pick and choose what i want to grow each week.

Jiana is doing great. Thanks for asking. Getting her more in to Photography and refurbishing old dirt cheap thrift store computers we find. Still Actively helping me out with our gardening projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thrift_store_pc.jpg (67.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg pc2.jpg (73.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg pc3.jpg (70.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg pc4.jpg (72.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg camera1.jpg (68.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 18_pc3.jpg (181.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg pc5.jpg (63.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg x79.jpg (56.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg yard_long_beans.jpg (74.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg morel.jpg (56.1 KB, 75 views)
Old January 25, 2017   #759
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!

I'm slowly - year by year - adding some of the techniques you've developed. Soil last year; grafting this year; and hopefully mushrooms next year.

I'll have extra seedlings this year to practice some "fraken-grafting"!

Again, thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #760
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Wow, excellent projects. Will keep you busy. It is special when you can share your knowledge and hobbies with family members. Jiana seems to like it. Congrats.

Old January 25, 2017   #761
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Great to see you posting again Delerium. Count me in as a fan. I've also(like others here) have tried some of your techniques. Successfully grafted, for one, and I also tried my hand at mushroom growing but that did not work out. Will try again one day.
I also grew strawberries like you do, in a self-watering container and they grew better than they ever did in-ground. Only thing is that they have been plagued by aphids of some sort and so far I have not been able to get rid of them. Tried the water blasting and the good ol' finger pinching. I think I will try Neem oil this weekend.
Thanks for all your sharing. And wow Jiana is some wonderchild.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #762
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

She loves it and has a good grasp of the hardware side and I want to start getting her in to software programming. Her next project is to build a network router with a old computer. She has a lot of fun learning how to benchmark our thrift store builds and trying to squeeze out performance for unloved hardware. One our of latest experiments was replacing the bios on a manufacture handicapped motherboard with a enthusiast bios chip and it worked. A cheap 10 dollar upgrade. It allowed us to turn a motherboard that can't be overclocked in to one that could.

We like messing with stuff and experimenting. Always learning. Lots of hardware cannibalizing for parts when we go treasure hunting for junk.

Nothing much new to learn in the Gardening Realm.. Grafting was fun but now its almost 2nd nature and not much of a challenge for us anymore. Hopefully we can grow some Tomato beasts this year.. hoping for a 3 pound + to beat our personal best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benchmarking.jpg (78.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg cinebench.jpg (223.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg bios_chip_replacement.jpg (101.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg bios_update.jpg (85.7 KB, 71 views)
Old January 25, 2017   #763
charley
Tomatovillian™

count me in to .im very greatful for you sharring your grafting techniques.i stll remember when it all started nobody had very much success till your breakthrough. i to tryed some mushrooms but got scaired when i read about inhaling mushroom spores
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #764
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Props to you Delerium for all you have taught your daughter and a lot of folks here to. I hope I can perfect grafting as well so I can teach Cora Belle. She will be able to help with picking tomatoes and such this year and lots of photo shoots Poor baby has the flu right now and I just had gallbladder surgery but the good news is it isn't Spring yet! Nice to see you back around TV!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #765
MissS
Tomatovillian™

You are giving Jiana a great education! She will be so far ahead of the other kids in these subjects. I know that I taught my daughter some things in very advanced areas and when it was time for her to learn them in school, well the teacher had her teach the class in that material.

You might not want to grow too much corn this year. It appears that it may be a bit difficult for her to eat.