Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 19, 2008   #1
chai
Tomatovillian™

Default How's your garden doing North Cals?

I am in Davis and my heirloom tomato plants are anywhere from a foot tall to 2 and a half feet tall.Cherries have green fruit, and there are blossoms on just about everything else.Down in Stockton friends have huge still green tomatoes on a variety called Taxi that is obviously from the name going to turn yellow that I grew from seed but didn't plant in my own garden and good-sized tomatoes on a few other heirlooms and lots of tomatoes on their hybrids.I probably shouldn't compare, my plants are fine,I am fertilizing with organic fertlizers,maybe need to do a bit more often-am I doing something wrong? Should I have almost full grown tomatoes by now? I don't have hybrids this year and I know my plants will eventually start to produce but maybe not until July.What kinds of fertlizers do you all use?I grew all the plants in my garden and the garden in Stockton from seed-the heirlooms, at least,so maybe their advantage is simply better soil from being on the right side of the river.It's not a big deal, just wondering how I can do better.My community garden plot here is the same-lots of blossoms, plants not really big yet. Some plants in other plots are bigger, some are the same size as mine.Anyway, just wanting some advice, and to hear how other gardens in this area are coming along.Thanks-Chai