Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 3, 2008   #1
brog
Tomatovillian™

Default CFLs as grow lights

Is anyone using CFLs as grow lights, if so how are you using them and are they doing a good job. thanks
Old December 3, 2008   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brog View Post
Is anyone using CFLs as grow lights, if so how are you using them and are they doing a good job. thanks
They can be used for seed starting, but not very well suited for growing. Keep in mind, comparing to tube flourescent lights;
  • They are more expensive, especially the higher wattage ones.
  • Not too many color temperatures to pick form.
  • They are not as long lasting.
  • proper reflectors are not very available for even light distribution.
Why are you considering using them?

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2008   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's a site that might get you pointed in the right direction. Ami

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/guide3.shtml
Old December 4, 2008   #4
salix
Tomatovillian™

Ami, thank you for posting that link. Dear Santa...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2008   #5
brog
Tomatovillian™

Default CFLs

dcarch just seeking info
Ami thanks great info (you always come thru with good stuff)
Old December 4, 2008   #6
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Bill,

When I first started growing tomatoes indoors I was living in an apartment in Omaha. I was really just doing it as an experiment to see if I could grow them cheaply in my spare bedroom. Did not want to spend hundreds of dollars on an expensive HID system and the subsequent increased electric bills. What I ended up doing:

I bought two cheap plastic 4 1/2 or 5 foot shelving units, then set them up in the middle of the bedroom facing each other about 5' apart. I then went to Menards and bought two narrow flat-sided steel 6' fenceposts. I set the fenceposts on top of the shelving units and wrapped a chain around each fenceposts so that the ends of the chains hung down far enough for me to attach S-hooks so I could hang 4' shoplights below each fencepost.

Knowing that the light would not reach far enough down towards the bottom of tomato plants, I tried figuring out a way to supplement with side lighting. I came across brooder lamps at Home Depot and bought a couple. The only thing I could think to use at first was CFL's. I ended up using 42-watt CFL's. I set boxes next to the containers/plants, set empty 10" containers on the boxes, set half-filled water bottles in the empty containers to keep them stable, then hung S-hooks on the edge of each container. The brooder lamp had a little moving handle that I placed on the other end up the S-hooks. Then perfectly placed the brooders in position aimed at the sides of the plants. Empty cassette cases work very well at adjusting the height & aim of the brooders by placing them under the edge of the brooder. Plus, it keeps them off of the boxes. It did help and I got some tomatoes using that set-up. But not enough to make it worthwhile.

Realizing the CFL's could be improved upon, I went out in search of stronger bulbs to use in the brooders. First I tried a plant growing bulb - WAY TOO HOT. Then one day I happened to be in Menards and noticed they had 300-watt PS-bulbs that could be used in my brooders. By that time I had already purchased a couple more brooders and they were rated for 600-watts, but suggested not using any higher than 300-watt bulbs. Perfect! My other brooders were not rated that high so I continued using the CFL's in them and used 300-watts in the others. Big difference.

I still use that set-up, 2 4' shoplights and 2 brooder lamps with 300-watt PS-bulbs. Right now I have 1 Black Cherry, 2 Black Sea Man, & 5 Wishful plants (dwarf project), and they are flowering & fruiting up a storm. In fact, indoors this is the best result I've had yet.

I'm overly cautious by nature, and will not have the 300-watters on while I'm not at home. Just in case there is an electrical fire (never know about wiring in these old apartment buildings). I've gotten into the habit of having the lights off when I'm at work, and on the rest of the time including during the night.

I've found the 300-watt bulbs last about half as many hours as advertised. Slightly more than half actually. And they're fairly cheap, about $3. If you use them make sure you use the brooder lamps rated for 600-watts. The other ones may not be able to handle the 300-watt bulbs.

It's not the ideal set-up, but if you don't want to buy an HID system, this will work with halfway decent results. It wont produce tons of toms, but will give you some during the cold winter months. Which is very satisfying. I've also grown sweet peppers and basil under the lights with good result. Basil is definitely worthwhile growing. But that's another subject in another forum.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2008   #7
brog
Tomatovillian™

Ted what do you think about the pro gro CFL grow light system for a 3x6 area inside a small green house.
thanks Bill
Old December 5, 2008   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bill, what are you going to use them for? Growing seedlings or growing plants to maturity? For your proposed area it looks like you would need 2ea Grow Pro's. Here's another site that may be of interest. Ami

http://www.1000bulbs.com/
Old December 5, 2008   #9
brog
Tomatovillian™

Growing to maturity. I`ve had good luck with seedlings, have not been able to get much fruit set growing toms, cukes and squash.
Old December 5, 2008   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bill, If your going for fruiting plants you will need a third lamp and I would get the 125 watt 2700K and the Bright Wing light fixture. If there won't be any supplemental light I would think about installing some kind of relective material on the walls such as mylar film to get the most out of your CFL's. Ami
Old December 5, 2008   #11
brog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ted I`ll follow your advice. Good growing and GOD BLESS Bill
Old December 5, 2008   #12
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Keeping in mind this:

If you are using lights in the winter or in the greenhouse, you are getting "free" heat based on the 1 watt = 3.412 BTUs. conversion factor.

Also, HID lights are too hot is not entirely correct. HID lights generate less heat per watt of light output. They are hotter because the heat is more concentrated in smaller areas.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2008   #13
brog
Tomatovillian™

Ted what would be the best type of additional lighting for a 3x6ft area in a green house.
Old December 6, 2008   #14
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I think your question can be better answered if we have more information on your greenhouse. I'm assuming it's located outside. What are the dimensions of the whole greenhouse. Is it heated? Is energy consumption an issue? Are you locked in to CFL's or are you looking for the most bang for your buck. Is this something your doing as an experiment or are you planning to do this on a yearly basis. Alot of questions I know but the more info we have the better answer we can give. And dcarch is probably one of the most knowlegeable people at TVille on the subject. Ami
Old December 6, 2008   #15
brog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ami I welcome dcarch and anyone else who has knowledge of Green houses or that has a question.--- G.H. outside --12ft x 12ft - 9ft high---heated-no issue---not locked in on any thing-- use long range