Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old November 16, 2016   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I forgot to mark the day on the calendar that I planted the Elephant Garlic. The post just says '1 week ago' so... Anyway, I'm noticing them popping up today. The weather here since planting them has featured 3 days of slow rain that added up to 3.5 inches. That was followed by 5 or so dry days. Lowest temperature was 52, and the past few days the highs have been 84-87F. I was thinking it might be too hot for the EG to grow.

Thanks Bill for the advice, "Go ahead and plant the bulbs" You were right.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #32
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

First time planting elephant garlic this spring, only 4 cloves. Today I finally planted 12 huge cloves and a pocketful of babies or corms where they won't be disturbed. Covered them with shredded leaves and put tomato cages on top to keep the leaves from blowing. Hopefully they will survive the winter.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I was just looking at the EG I planted and started counting. All 28 of them are up now. It feels good seeing them growing.

I started planting Elephant Garlic because a lot of people told me that they wouldn't grow in the ground here. Even my mother told me that EG has to be grown in a pot/container. They actually grow just as well as onions do here.
Old February 14, 2017   #34
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Two weeks ago I got e-mail ad from The Garlic Farm in UK that they have baby Elephant Garlic seeds in sale for two packs of 24 cloves for price of one. I could not resist ordering them and also 12 pack of the bigger ones. Sunday I spent some time in my unheated greenhouse at -2°C temperature and potted them. There were actually 59 baby cloves in the package. Luckily I had 60 rootrainer cells where the small ones fit. Now those are rooting in garage, where the temperature does not go below freezing, but should be cool enough for vernalization. If these will grow well, we will have plenty to eat and still can save some as seedstock.

Postage for the shipment was 25£, so naturally I had to order seed cloves for real garlic too. Now I got five additional varieties to plant this spring.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elephant garlic cloves.jpg (204.9 KB, 30 views)
Old February 14, 2017   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There is one should have posted about weeks ago. Our Elephant garlic survived a night of 10F degrees and another of 12F. They don't appear to be stunted.