Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 19, 2014   #1
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default Krimzon Lee

Had an enjoyable presentation at our Master Food Preservers monthly meeting by a Master Gardener who grows peppers to sell at the local market. He had quite an assortment and left a large bag of hot and one bag of mild peppers to give away. I grabbed what he said was his favorite pepper Krimzon Lee...said he roasts and freezes it. Searched this forum and see it is an F1??? Say it isn't so! I wanted to save the seeds and grow it.
Old September 19, 2014   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

So? grow it anyway. You may end up with something suitable anyway. I grew out sweet heat from pepperseeds left in the pot last year and they seem just about the same to me just not as productive, but I haven't really paid much attention to them all Summer.
Old September 19, 2014   #3
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

It can be fun to see what you get from F2 seeds. I once ordered some seed for a yellow pepper and what grew out was a purple pepper with medium heat. The pods were the size of Jalapenos, but a bit more conical. I didn't know at all what they were but I saved the seed and grew them the following season. I got 3 separate types of peppers. A light yellow one(not the one I originally wanted) that was the shape of the purple one but a bit smaller. It was hot, with thin skin, and a lot of seeds. The second one was red, looked a bit like a Fresno, a little heat, and not much flavor. The third one had small black pods that ripened to red, quite a bit of heat with a touch of sweetness, meaty for the size, and absolutely no seeds. I really liked this one and had no seeds to save and I wasn't in a position to start cuttings. I grew out the purple pod seeds twice after that and both times I got those same three pepper types and no seeds in the little black pods.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014   #4
coronabarb

I do intend to grow it and yes it is always interesting to see what an F1 growout yields. I was hoping to get THIS pepper.
Old September 20, 2014   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Someone mentioned on here that the Marconi types are much easier to stabilize than bells.

Johnny's sells it if you end up buying seeds: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6325-krimzon-lee-f1.aspx#
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2014   #6
coronabarb

Thanks...we will eat this one and see how we like it. I don't have much experience with peppers other than jals, serranos, habs, bells...the usual suspects. I did grow Beaver Dam for several years for SSE and did enjoy that one. My seed stock from early - mid 2000s are pretty old now. (took a hiatus to care for mom, and a major move from So Cal to Oregon)

Btw, we had record heat in Oregon this year (measured in days over 90 as compared to days over 100 in So Cal) and most crops are coming in early in abundant amts at the farms. I was blessed to get over 10 pepper plants of different varieties from a friend and need to get those documented and seeds saved.