Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old August 19, 2014   #1
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Default Clay and rock alternatives

Hello all,

I'd like to begin planning for next year. The soil around my house is clay and rocks. I haven't got it tested, but looking at my neighbour's gardens, it doesn't look very hopeful. This summer, I've grown everything in Earthtainers or fabric pots, and it's been a success, except for some fungus and/or lack of nutrients.

Next year, my hope is to have two gardens:

1. Backyard: Options are containers or raised beds.
2. Front yard: Raised beds or in ground.

My benefits analysis is as follows... Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Containers - excellent yield, expensive because I have to replace some of the grow media every year. The Earthtainers are especially expensive because I use potting mix. For the fabric pots, I can just add compost.

Raised beds - good yield, but I'm not sure how expensive the upkeep of the soil is. Do I need the same expensive potting mixes as Earthainers? Also, do I just place them on the clay as it is, or do I till the clay first? Do I mix the clay and some of the raised be soil? Do I need to remove all the rocks?

In ground - less yield, less expensive, but can I grow anything decent in this clay without major, major amendments?

So my question is, which would you all recommend?

Thanks!
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Store bought tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Get your soil analyzed. Then, decide what you are going to do.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Salaam,

What kind of inexpensive organic materials do you have access to?

I know that building new beds can be quite costly, but there are lots of organic options with inexpensive materials like straw, leaves, kitchen waste, coffee grounds, wood chips, tree trimmings, logs, etc.

For example, if you have tree logs and branches, you can build hugelkultur beds.

ANother option is to purchase compost, spread it 6-12" on top of your soil now and cover with 6" wood chips or straw - it will be ready for planting next spring, you will just need to move away the mulch layer to warm up the soil in spring, plant, and put the mulch back.

Another option is straw bale beds.

None of the above involves digging the rock and clay, which is good. Actually rock and clay are good things to have under your garden beds, as they are mineral rich.

There are more options to build your beds

It all depends what you have available and cheap or free.

Good luck with your new garden!
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; August 19, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

In my area, free horse-manure compost is available at a few places. It gets piled up at the horse-boarding places, and there's always a huge pile that's pretty good compost. I've used it for over a year and haven't gotten any weeds from it.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

One note about free manure - please check with the supplier if the cattle ate any grass / hay sprayed with herbicides. The herbicide residue can stay in manure for a long time and can easily kill tomato plants.

Same warning applies to grass hay and straw.

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; August 19, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What color is the soil andnis it really a clay like potters clay or more of a gumbo type soil.
I cant see the soil in your area being red as there has been recent glaciation in the area in the last tentthousand years or so.

I would also imagine the rocks would be of the round smooth cobblestone types.

If I am right and the ph is correct after a soil test and the application of proper amendments you could be sitting on a gold mine of a garden.

I have grown awesome plants on soil that was on top of grey potters clay with about 8 inches of sandy lome gravel stuff.

Dont underestimate the soil until you have tried.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2014   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What color is the soil andnis it really a clay like potters clay or more of a gumbo type soil.
I cant see the soil in your area being red as there has been recent glaciation in the area in the last tentthousand years or so.

I would also imagine the rocks would be of the round smooth cobblestone types.

If I am right and the ph is correct after a soil test and the application of proper amendments you could be sitting on a gold mine of a garden.

I have grown awesome plants on soil that was on top of grey potters clay with about 8 inches of sandy lome gravel stuff.

Dont underestimate the soil until you have tried.

Worth
My "clay" turn into awesome soil. Except for paper and mulch, all the work was done by earthworms. I am pretty lazy

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #9
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

An update...

I'm getting a soil test along with recommendations done tomorrow. I'll let you know the results.
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote