Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 7, 2015   #226
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I think TSWV is typically vectored by thrips. Do you have thrips? I used a new product for thrips this year on the recommendation of someone on Tville and after a 3rd application, I believe I eradicated them. Botanigard. WP22. Expensive, but, the 1 pound package goes a long ways at a rate of 3-4 tsp per gallon. It is considered organic. Might be another arrow in your quiver. I didn't use it for TSWV control, but because those buggers were destroying all of the flowers and therefor future fruit. TSWV prevention was just an awesome side effect.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #227
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have thrips every year but they haven't been infecting many plants until this year in quite a while. One year I lost over one third of my plants in two weeks to TSWV and this year about 15% in three months and I have been adding plants all along so TSWV hasn't really made much of a dent despite being the worst it has been in about 10 years. If they are bad next year and TSWV is worse I might look into that product. Thanks for the info.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #228
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Another pepper infected this week. This is one of the reasons why I grow far more tomatoes and peppers than I need. Also it is fun.

Bill
Old July 15, 2015   #229
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the pictures! I do not have it. New growth and fruits are not affected spots didn't look quite right. I just went and sprayed with dilute bleach again, it seems to slow it down what ever it is I do not know. I might not grow Tim's black ruffles again as the plant seems very susceptible to what ever it is. I am getting some fruit yeah have not tasted it. Question These plants are at least 20 feet away from other plants in case my bagged fruit do not get enough time is that far enough away for no cross pollination.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2015   #230
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanus View Post
Thank you for the pictures! I do not have it. New growth and fruits are not affected spots didn't look quite right. I just went and sprayed with dilute bleach again, it seems to slow it down what ever it is I do not know. I might not grow Tim's black ruffles again as the plant seems very susceptible to what ever it is. I am getting some fruit yeah have not tasted it. Question These plants are at least 20 feet away from other plants in case my bagged fruit do not get enough time is that far enough away for no cross pollination.
Is what is affecting your Tim's Black Ruffles starting lower on the plant and in the shadier parts? If it is you may be dealing with Gray Mold which affects many of the black tomatoes and can be quite persistent requiring repeated bleach sprays to keep it under control. If it is caught early and treated whenever it shows up it doesn't usually affect the plant production but it does cost you some foliage.

Bill
Old July 25, 2015   #231
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Drat! It got one of my most productive tomato plants along with a couple more this week. It one of my Limbaugh's Legacy plants that was still being productive despite this heat and it also got my only volunteer that had somehow avoided getting fusarium wilt. TSWV has been a real pain this year. Talked to a friend of mine and he has lost about half of his plants to it also so I guess I'm a bit luckier than him. Usually you have a bout with it in the spring and then again lose a few more in the early summer; but this year it has just taken a plant or two every week since late spring. Eventually it adds up.

Bill
Old August 19, 2015   #232
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am still losing one or two plants a week to TSWV. This is turning out to be the second worst year for this awful disease that I have experienced. It really is a good thing I planted too many plants this year because with TSWV and spider mites the numbers have really been thinned out. Thankfully I haven't lost a single plant this year to the run of the mill foliage diseases due to constant monitoring and spraying with the bleach spray at the first sign of disease. I also think my drop line system and keeping the plants number of stems limited has helped with foliage diseases the past two years.

Bill
Old May 16, 2016   #233
b54red
Tomatovillian™

So far this year has started out better than last year. I pulled my first tomato plant with TSWV this morning it was a good foot and a half smaller than the other 30+ plants in that bed. I have also lost two bell peppers to it so far.

Bill
Old May 16, 2016   #234
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I want to jump in here and say that the reflective mulch is working wonders for me in reducing pest populations to nearly zero on my plants. I have even taken aphid infested plants that are still in pots and put them on the reflective plastic and within 24 hours all were gone. I have seen bees get blinded by the light so to speak and nose dive into the plastic spinning in circles on their backs disoriented. So far I love this stuff, and by the time my plants shade it out they should be strong enough to withstand most attacks. I don't normally suggest products to anyone but if you have a thrip problem I'd say give it a try and see what your results are, it certainly cant hurt.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #235
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I have been using predatory nematodes and lacewings with good results, but I have to keep up the assault with the predatory nematodes to stay ahead. So far this year I have lost nothing (except to a few field mice). What is this reflective mulch you speak of? Where did you get it?
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #236
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/silvermulch

I ordered mine from Amazon because I had a gift card.

Edit here is a pic of my garden so you can see how reflective it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160417_141023.jpg (516.8 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by BigVanVader; May 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2016   #237
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've got a couple of more bells with TSWV and lost one more tomato plant so this is not too bad. The rest of the plants are doing great and I'm already getting ripe tomatoes for the past week and the bells won't be too far behind from the looks of them. I did have to spray my bells and tomatoes with Sevin a few days ago when the rains finally stopped because I was overwhelmed with worms and it was far past the picking off stage where they were before a week of showers.

Bill
Old May 26, 2016   #238
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Could all of those post about curling leaves in the past few weeks be TSWV?

-Zach
Old May 26, 2016   #239
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
Could all of those post about curling leaves in the past few weeks be TSWV?

-Zach
I doubt it. There are too many things that can cause curling leaves. Curling leaves is not an early symptom of TSWV although the new growth can curl a bit later in the infection.

Bill
Old May 26, 2016   #240
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Well that's good to know. Still wish I knew what was up with it specially since I have a few plant doing it. At least it's not TSWV

-Zach