Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2018   #1
BrotherTarquin
Tomatovillian™

Default Tips for Grafting

Hi there, this year I've decided to try and grow Tomatoes as professionally as possible, to put my horticultural training/education to the test, and I'm growing 15 different cultivars; Fandango F1, Gigantomo F1, Mountain Magic F1, Floridity F1, Rosella, St Pierre, Black Opal, Bloody Butcher, Essex Wonder, Indigo Beauty, White Tomesol, Hillbilly Potato Leaf, Ananas Noir, All Blacks and Stupice.

I'm toying with the idea of grafting, if it's not too late, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any recommended rootstock cultivars, I've come across Estamino F1 which is from a company I've ordered in the past.

Also, I'm guessing it's too late, since I've already sown all my seeds, though with a couple of days between each batch due to ordering from different companies.

In any case, any advice would be very much appreciated!

Regards
BrotherTarquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #2
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Hi I can't help you with your grafting but I did want to say welcome aboard
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #3
BrotherTarquin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyegrotom View Post
Hi I can't help you with your grafting but I did want to say welcome aboard
Cheers! Is there an official introduction thread I should post in?
Old March 18, 2018   #4
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

You can read through this thread to get some valuable information:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...light=grafting
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #5
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Hey Brother T:

I've grafted for the last couple years. I use RST-04-106 since it has broad disease resistance - important here in Virginia.

We have a fairly long season in VA so I graft a little at a time. This year, I'm rooting the tops of the rootstock that are usually thrown away so I can get a second round of grafting.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #6
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
This year, I'm rooting the tops of the rootstock that are usually thrown away so I can get a second round of grafting.
Smart idea. Doing the same with topped pepper plants, but the roots take a while to establish.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #7
BrotherTarquin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Hey Brother T:

I've grafted for the last couple years. I use RST-04-106 since it has broad disease resistance - important here in Virginia.

We have a fairly long season in VA so I graft a little at a time. This year, I'm rooting the tops of the rootstock that are usually thrown away so I can get a second round of grafting.

Jeff
Generally speaking do you have to sow the rootstock at the same time as your fruiting plant? Or does it not matter too much?

Other rootstocks I've come across are submarine F1 and Maxifort.

Also, that seems like a pretty smart idea to reduce waste and make the most of what you've got!

Last edited by BrotherTarquin; March 19, 2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old March 19, 2018   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

As someone who has been grafting all the tomatoes I plant for the last several years I have to ask why are you wanting to graft? If you don't have some soil diseases or issues that make it necessary it is a good bit of effort and expense for what I can only say would be a limited advantage if any?

There are quite a few threads on grafting and different techniques that are used. I have developed my own method which works for me in my climate and conditions as have many others. If you do a search for grafting you will probably get more results than you will know what to do with. I personally like the RST-04-106-T root stock seed for most of my grafting but have also used Estamino, Multifort and Maxifort with success. I like to plant my root stock seed a week or so after my scion seed while others do the opposite and many plant them at the same time.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #9
BrotherTarquin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
As someone who has been grafting all the tomatoes I plant for the last several years I have to ask why are you wanting to graft? If you don't have some soil diseases or issues that make it necessary it is a good bit of effort and expense for what I can only say would be a limited advantage if any?
I've read it can hugely improve the vigour of growth, plant health and yield and that some rootstocks can extend the season. Also, as a trainee horticulturalist I'm keen to learn new horticultural techniques I've not put into practice before, It's interesting and it adds to my experience and knowledge, those are my main reasons to tell the truth, but mostly because I find learning and putting new horticultural methods into practice exciting

Quote:
There are quite a few threads on grafting and different techniques that are used. I have developed my own method which works for me in my climate and conditions as have many others. If you do a search for grafting you will probably get more results than you will know what to do with. I personally like the RST-04-106-T root stock seed for most of my grafting but have also used Estamino, Multifort and Maxifort with success. I like to plant my root stock seed a week or so after my scion seed while others do the opposite and many plant them at the same time.

Bill
I can get hold of Estamino very easily, I'm also trying to find a UK supplier of Maxifort. I've heard good things about Submarine too.
Old March 19, 2018   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherTarquin View Post
I've read it can hugely improve the vigour of growth, plant health and yield and that some rootstocks can extend the season. Also, as a trainee horticulturalist I'm keen to learn new horticultural techniques I've not put into practice before, It's interesting and it adds to my experience and knowledge, those are my main reasons to tell the truth, but mostly because I find learning and putting new horticultural methods into practice exciting

I can get hold of Estamino very easily, I'm also trying to find a UK supplier of Maxifort. I've heard good things about Submarine too.
I’ve found that you do get more vegetative growth and even some good increases with production with some combinations. The best example of that is Delcious grafted onto Estamino. However that has certainly not been the case most of the time. I get more production from most of my grafts because they are resistant to fusarium and RKN which plague my garden. I don’t think you will find a big difference in Maxifort and Estamino since you aren’t dealing with fusarium.

Bill
Old March 20, 2018   #11
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I've used both Maxifort and Estamino in an outdoor gardening space, and I find the Maxifort plants far more rambunctious than the Estamino grafts (which works better for my garden conditions--the Maxifort, that is).
Old March 20, 2018   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
I've used both Maxifort and Estamino in an outdoor gardening space, and I find the Maxifort plants far more rambunctious than the Estamino grafts (which works better for my garden conditions--the Maxifort, that is).
I agree that Estamino is less vegetative. I did not find it less productive but it did require slightly less pruning in my experience. Of course that is the heart of the matter “which root stock works best for your garden,conditions, and varieties?” You may have to do a bit of a trial run with some of the various root stocks to find out.

Bill